Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: So Long Geelong ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 07:51AM

The child is now back in the hands of the mother who nearly starved her to death. The parents are not being properly ipunished but are being given psychiatric treatment.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12368736
Vegan parents avoid jail for starving baby of nutrients with ' fruit diet'

The baby girl weighed just 6.040kg and was placed in intensive care.

Vegan parents starved their baby of nutrients in an extreme plant-based diet and left their daughter with a "devastating" permanent disability.

The couple, who cannot be identified, avoided jail after pleading guilty to negligently causing serious injury in the County Court of Victoria on Monday.

They were both ordered to serve a 12-month community corrections order and undertake mental health treatment, Judge Claire Quin ordered.

Their daughter was left with cerebral palsy caused by malnutrition because of the strict diet.

The 12-month-old baby was rushed to Geelong's emergency department in August 2018, where doctors discovered bruising, open wounds, rashes and skin discolouration.

They found she was bleeding internally, had blood in her stool and needed life support.

They also found the baby had severe protein-calorie malnutrition known as "Kwashiorkor", which is often seen in children from countries experiencing a famine, the court was told.

Seven days before the dad, 34, rushed the infant to hospital he wrote an email to a US-based "herbal" health club for advice.

"Hi my 1 year old has stopped wanting to drink/eat and when she does its not staying down or she start to cough. What can I do to help her keep it down and allow her to drink. She doesn't have a temp. She is on a fruit diet. Please help asap [sic]," the father wrote in an email to the US consultant.

Instead of advising the man to take his child to hospital, the consultant suggested a "stomach tea" for the baby.

A week later the girl, who weighed just 6.040kg, was in intensive care. She remained there for a month.

The parents started to feed the baby a mix of coconut water and powders instead of formula after the infant stopped breastfeeding in 2017.

Despite growing concerns from their maternal care nurse about the baby's growth the parents ignored medical advice and skipped appointments.

"The coconut mixture is definitely not appropriate as this is not nutritionally adequate for an infant," the nurse told the couple in an email amid growing concern.

They eventually stopped engaging with medical professionals and turned to alternative websites in Queensland and the US for advice.

In one message the mother, 32, sent to her partner, she asked if he would raise the issue about their daughter's "weight loss and floppiness of her body" with the consultant in the United States.

But the parents, who have since separated, were spared jail.

The girl is now in the care of the mother, who shows a "commitment and devotion" to her daughter and engages with healthcare professionals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 01:01PM

Fifteen year vegan, here. Never felt better in my life. 56. Perfect health. Don’t even.

The baby’s problem was no mother’s milk.

The diet described was raw fruititarianism. Extremely unhealthy vegan diet. Just like an all raw meat diet would be for an infant.

Why are so many people so threatened by veganism that they post this crap when they have no clue what they’re talking about?

It’s very sad.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 02:54PM

I think that a vegan or vegetarian diet does take special care, especially with an infant or toddler, to make sure that all needs for protein and nutrients are being met. Obviously this child was put on an inappropriate, extreme diet.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 08:53PM

All healthy diets require special care. I would hope the majority of parents, vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore would care enough about their children to be thoughtful as they decide what to feed them.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 02:59PM

Vegan shmegam. Why take a chance? Pass the bacon.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 10:49AM

Mmmmmm...bacon. I smoked 10 pounds of it yesterday. Today I slice and vacuum pack. So good!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.