Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 04:16PM

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/2020/10/04/robert-kirby-with-moroni/

"With many Latter-day Saint temples now being built without the customary golden Angel Moroni statue being affixed to their tops, it’s a little unnerving to some traditionalists. Personally, I like it. Now I can imagine anything I want up there."

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/10/02/statue-limitations-under/

“While the Angel Moroni statue occupies a prominent place on many temples throughout the world — symbolizing the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ — it is not a requirement of temple design. Some temples may include the statue, while others may not,” it reads. “A temple’s design, both internal and external, is secondary to its primary purpose, which is for people to draw closer to God and his Son, Jesus Christ, by participating in sacred ceremonies that teach of God’s plan and unite families forever.”

Observers have noted that the escalating Moroni-less temple trend coincides with the leadership of President Russell M. Nelson, who took the reins of the 16.5 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in January 2018.

Since April 2018, the month of Nelson’s first General Conference as president, 43 temples have been announced. Of the 26 with available renderings, Andersen said, only five have Moroni statues.

Nelson famously has been pushing for members and media to use the church’s full name, rather than “Mormon” or “LDS,” as a way to emphasize the faith’s theological commitment to Jesus.

During the church’s conference last spring, he unveiled a new symbol for the church, which includes the Christus marble statue, carved by Danish Lutheran sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 04:54PM

Eventually the entire BoM will fade away like the Pearl of Great Price. They will focus on the Bible more and more. I suspect that in 3 generations, the BoM will be some quaint fleck of history that most Mormons won't even know or care about.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 05:01PM

> “A temple’s design, both
> internal and external, is
> secondary to its primary
> purpose, which is for
> people to ...

...feel obligated to pay tithings."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 06:49PM

... Church's (temple's purpose) "mission" to unite families?

Plllllease tell that to my former wife who Ex'd me because I stopped attending ChurchCo...

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 08:18PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “While the Angel Moroni statue occupies a
> prominent place on many temples throughout the
> world ...
> ...it is not a requirement of temple design.

What, are there temple design regulations?

WHAT REGULATIONS WOULD YOU ADD?

I would add a regulation that says "no ghastly monstrosities," like the what-were-they-thinking place in San Diego, or the Wizard of Oz homage in the DC suburbs.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 08:57PM

> WHAT REGULATIONS WOULD YOU ADD?

Interesting question, Stinky.

I'm guessing that Scat would want this woven into the Veil:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Za6bSLqPCioLbVmK8

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 09:33PM

There is something hostile in the emphasis on Christ. A lot of Christians who know anything about Mormonism consider it offensive to have Mormons claim they are Christians too! Especially with the emphasis put upon the restoration and how "all other churches are abominable in the sight of god and Christ."

When I was active back in 2016, 2017, there seemed to be a push to accept truth no matter where it comes from. Other religions might not have the fulness or authority but like a clock with stuck hands, they got some things right some of the time. It seemed a way to kindly bridge the gap. I see it now as a manipulative tactic to make it easier for Biblical Christians to make the jump. This stuff Nelson is doing feels confrontational. Like war.

"We're not like other Christians! We ARE Christ's church! The only one!"

Maybe I'm misinterpreting?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.