Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frankblue ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 09:29AM

Is it only me or other people out here who suffered from nightmares after the sessions in the temple? I have had such heavy feeling after I did endownment and insted of feeling "blessed" as I guess I should have felt as a former mormon...I felt cursed and have had alot of nightmares during many years. Anyone else how has experienced this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 11:49AM

When did you go through?

I never experienced nightmare about the Temple but my wife did.

She went exactly twice. Once through Ogden and once through Salt Lake and never went back. Ditched the garments about three months after.

This was in the 80s with the throat slitting oaths.

Posted by: David Wallace ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 12:38PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did you go through?
>
> I never experienced nightmare about the Temple but
> my wife did.

If it's not too personal, what kind of nightmare did she have?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 11:53AM

I had many callings that I was less than thrilled to serve, but I did them with little fear. But the temple was always a terrible experience. Something always went wrong and the workers were rude and in a foul mood.

It was not a grand place to go and I always felt better getting on the freeway to "get away from it."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2020 11:59AM by messygoop.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 11:59AM

It was all a joke to me both during and after the session so my nightmares, to say the least, were minimal

Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 01:15PM

Even though I was baptised and sealed in the Temple, maybe I've never really been a Mormon. Because during my first creepy 1980's era endowment session, it seemed cult like, something I was not willing to submit to. So when the group was asked to bow their head and say YES, I did in fact softly utter the word, but inside in my mind I thought to myself NO!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 02:14PM

In my opinion, being a faithful teenage Mormon can prepare you to be submissive to the leaders of the church, and if so, it's pretty much the only way to intellectually survive the proverbial 'sheet' storm that is your first time through the temple.

If you don't 'believe' in your parents and your leaders, I can't see how your faith in Mormonism could survive the temple experience. (Mine didn't)

Of course, it may a bit less stressful now that you don't have to promise to gut yourself.

I love the silliness: If you're a twin named Moroni and you and your twin brother, Adam, go on Moroni day, his new name is Moroni and your new name is Adam!

But ghawd planned it that way, cuz while he's all powerful, he's got a pronounced silly streak.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.