Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 10:52AM

I was researching mythical cities and places and right in the middle of the list, surprise, was KOLOB with the description--"an astrnomical body (star or planet) near the throne of God in Mormon Cosmology."

Heaven! So many Heavens.

Rewards
Grand Prizes
Lotteries
Contests
Dollars in the millions to soothe the pain life brings
All substitutes, because we reallly want
The big one of course, the CK.

But even Mormons know deep down that the CK actually is geographically located somewhere between Zarahemla, Atlantis, and Olympus. I hear that in my mother's voice as she admits she is in no hurry to leave this earth even with her Sweetheart waiting for her in their mansion on the right hand of God.

Life's trials make us want a Camelot, a Xanadu, where we shall never again struggle as we loll about on velvet pillows. No wonder religions have exploited that fatigued dream, ancient wish sapped by desperation, to insinuate their control over us. Every gifted con knows a valuable gimmick even from a thousand yards away. Joseph was a connoisseur of gimmicks, bright shiny objects that may only be words, but . . . Brigham wasn't, and, reverted to steel will, iron grabbing fists, and no apologies ever, which I guess, could actually be gimmicks. He wouldn't be the first
to use these nor would he be the last. They work. No wonder those around him craved a Shangri-la.

Gimmicks are a major factor in power and control. As Miss Mazeppa knew, they will always improve your act. "If you're gonna bump it, bump it with a trumpet!" It's not rocket science.

Russ better get a new one. Stat. He's no Miss Mazeppa, that's for sure as he divests his aerie gimmicks.

I wonder what a lot of Mormons are thinking at the very very end. I know my Dad believed. I have doubts about others. No one really want to die very much. Deep down they know. Kolob belongs on the Myth list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 11:22AM

My uncle believed in the mythical polygamous CK, in the end. He was a BIC Mormon, who left the cult after his mission, but returned to it, the last few years of his life. Smoking killed him. He died believing that I (a divorced single woman), his unmarried sister, and 3 unmarried nieces would be his wives in the next life. We felt that was sick and creepy.

My TBM Mormon Royalty Temple-Married Relief Society President mother knew the Truth, in her later years. Mormons would say, "You will be reunited with Husband in the CK."

Mom would reply, "Husband is in the ground, at the cemetery."

I don't believe in polygamy, Kolob, or the CK, but I'm still open about the afterlife. I'm comfortable with ambiguity, and willing to wait--for a very long time--until I get there.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 12:03PM

Hinckley was in no hurry to reunite with his dearly departed wife either. A 96-year-old man with cancer, who had received the 2nd Anointing, taking chemo? Exhibit A for non-belief right there.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 10:35PM

I'm not much of a believer in anything these days, but I like to imagine that when the curtain finally comes down after the last act, my lifelong dearest friend will be there to welcome me. She passed away nearly 6 years ago, and I still miss her. We met on the first day of 8th grade, and no matter where my life took me (all over the U.S., just about) we stayed in touch. Both of our husbands bitched about our long-distance phone calls, but we both worked and made good money, so we felt free to ignore them.

I also hope to meet up with my favorite college roommates, my grandmothers, my DH, and my innumerable felines. If I run into my mother, I'll assume I took a wrong turn somewhere.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 12:07AM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also hope to meet up with my....innumerable felines.

This is me, too.

We have been able to share our lives with some really wonderful cats, and I would love to be able to meet up with them again.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 10:17AM

The only after life worth having would be if my dogs were there too. Don't need no mansion.

Why does a celestial being need a mansion anyway? Heaven is always assigned such earthly material pleasures.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 11:59PM

I imagine I’ll pick right up where I left off to get born here.

I hope I didn’t leave the water running. I never figured I’d be here for so long!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 04:19PM

I hope I regret no yesterdays (like I do now) and I am calm watching the hope for any more tomorrows die before I do.

I think this is why many want to die in their sleep. Caught unawares that their years are gone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.