Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 12:27PM

I used to direct people to this important example of Mormon weirdness when trying to explain to them just how insane Mormon theology really is -- it's just UFO religion mixed with ancient aliens conspiracy theories using religious terminology and biblical references.

But you can't find this Mark E. Petersen gem any longer.
It's been pulled.

Fortunately, a 1983 black and white copy has been preserved by someone but it lacks the "Chariots Of The Gods" vibe of the original.

https://vintagelds.wordpress.com/portfolio/christ-in-america-1983/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 12:55AM

I have a filmstrip and flannel board cutouts of Christ in America... circa 1970 New England States Mission

thanks to Paul H Dunn

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 01:43AM

Some things that were published in the past aren't useful.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 02:50PM

+[|]:
What do you mean?
There isn’t anything silly there?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 10:15AM

Most say if there really was a Jesus he would have been quite brown and hairy. So for him to be the legendary White God descending into Zarahemla as he killed thousands with upheaval of mountains that Mark E. Petersen claimed was part of Native American lore, Heavenly Father would have had to work his magic and make him whiter than Michael Jackson was by the time he died. I suppose that dying on the cross finally qualified him to be made supremely white.

Everything by Mark E. Petersen needed to be sent off into the ether. His extreme racism would have made Brigham Young proud that someone was carrying the mantle. And since the Mormon church "has never been racist" haha-- Mark E. Mark has to go!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 11:50AM

Jeez... Funny how some things slip the mind, especially mine. I forgot about Jesus going to ancient America as a 'white god', when we know he was most likely dark skinned. Yet another absurdity.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 12:21PM

Isn't the 'dark skinned Jesus' just another assumption?

Do we have ANY credible scientifically-based evidence on this?

I get it that he wasn't Caucasian

Date: October 13, 2020 01:42PM

Mormons would do a lot better in these ethnically challenged times to switch out their Surfer Jesus for something with a little on the Gypsy side with black flowing hair and a gold earring. Important to update fantasies to stay relevant.

Date: October 13, 2020 09:50PM

And they weren't northern European blue-eyed blondes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 09:53PM by anybody.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 10:10PM

GNPE,

It's a reasonable--nay, compelling--argument that the Palestinian Jew Jesus looked like all the other Palestinian Jews in that day. Genetically there is very little difference between those Jews and the Arabs who still live there now. So history and the science of genetics converge on the fact that Jesus was olive-skinned, black-haired, and brown-eyed.

Date: October 13, 2020 10:17PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 04:02PM

But the mormon church 'believes' that JoeHova's literal, in the flesh, daddy was Elohim, who came down to proposition the Virgin Mary, which proposition she could not refuse.

"And yay, when He did acquaint her with the facts in his pants, she yielded and they did lie together, as a man lies with his wife, and he did put it to her and, yay, she did conceive the Son of ghawd, Jesus Christ, or Even Jesus Christ, as he was to be called by the Mormons, 1,860 years later.

"And while Elohim dallied with yet another wife, his harem stewed, in heaven, and made plans to make him pay, the rat bastard."

So as holy scripture shows, the great JoeHova's genetic inheritance, Pale White Celestron and Mexican Brown Hebrew, give him a shot at being born with pale, milky white skin, although one wonders about his diligence over the years with regard to the application of sun screen.

According to my genetics class at the Y, he could have been born spotted, brown and white!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 04:05PM

And people wonder why peyote is now on the endangered list. . .

Date: October 14, 2020 05:10PM

Of course you had to bring logic into the equation. That was logic, wasn't it?>

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:25PM

I don't think logic was taught at the Y!

Unless it was at the Tuesday devotionals or the Thursday whatever the hell they were, neither of which I ever attended during my three years at The Harvard of the West.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 02:21PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.