Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 12:38PM

https://thehill.com/changing-america/resilience/520368-one-third-of-americans-believes-the-coronavirus-was-sent-by-god

“God is telling us that we need to change our ways or he will send a virus that will make us be alone so that we have time to think about how we live our lives. We all need to live as one, we are all children of God,” a 58-year-old man told Pew Research Center.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 12:48PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 01:11PM

Well, if you define god as nature, then its an accurate statement I suppose.

My questions are....exactly which "ways" need changing? Who gets to define it? And which god has been telling us that?

Date: October 11, 2020 01:51PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, if you define god as nature, then its an
> accurate statement I suppose.
True
>
> My questions are....exactly which "ways" need
> changing?
America had an obesity health crisis long before Coronavirus arrived here, which is the primary reason it has thrived here and not in China. So Chinese can keep eating bats and pangolins and getting exotic new diseases and fat, lazy Americans will keep dropping like flies because of it.
> Who gets to define it?
Darwin.
> And which god
> has been telling us that?
Natural Selection.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:35PM

> America had an obesity health crisis long before
> Coronavirus arrived here, which is the primary
> reason it has thrived here and not in China.

Please document that. It is absurd.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:44PM

Bill Maher said so. So there.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 06:04PM

It's a statement lacking compassion. Also facts. Many young, active, otherwise healthy-seeming people are contracting severe cases of COVID, with some fatalities, shockingly.Eg: The 28 year old nurse who was slim and active and healthy with no pre-existing conditions, who died recently, tragically. And many more like her.

Obesity does not equate with being "lazy", fyi. There are many reasons for it, some not within an individual's direct control. For instance, some needed medications cause weight gain, as well as some cancer therapies and others.

It behooves us as decent humans to be compassionate, imho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 12:19PM by Nightingale.

Date: October 11, 2020 06:54PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > America had an obesity health crisis long
> before
> > Coronavirus arrived here, which is the primary
> > reason it has thrived here and not in China.
>
> Please document that. It is absurd.

"We didn’t understand early on what a major risk factor obesity was. … It’s not until more recently that we’ve realized the devastating impact of obesity, particularly in younger people,” says Anne Dixon, a physician-scientist who studies obesity and lung disease at the University of Vermont. That “may be one reason for the devastating impact of COVID-19 in the United States, where 40% of adults are obese.
People with obesity are more likely than normal-weight people to have other diseases that are independent risk factors for severe COVID-19, including heart disease, lung disease, and diabetes. They are also prone to metabolic syndrome, in which blood sugar levels, fat levels, or both are unhealthy and blood pressure may be high. A recent study from Tulane University of 287 hospitalized COVID-19 patients found that metabolic syndrome itself substantially increased the risks of ICU admission, ventilation, and death.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

In China the rate of obesity is 5-6%, so Americans are 7-8 times more obese than Chinese.

The US has 11 times the death rate from Covid. (663/mil US vs. 59/mil China, even though the disease came from China, likely from contact with or eating bats or Pangolins, where covid has been known to be carried for many years)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

How is that absurd?

I stand behind everything I said.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 06:58PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: October 11, 2020 07:54PM

Good try, but you have failed again to prove your point.

You asserted that the US has suffered more than China because the US is fat. But that makes no sense. Obesity affects the outcome once a person is infected, not the probability of infection in the first place. The bottom line is that the per capital infection rate is much higher in the US than in China, meaning the problem lies in the ease of contracting the virus in North America.

The reason China has fared so much better than the US is that the US has not locked down. It has neither required masks nor demanded social distancing, so the infection has exploded. Meanwhile the PRC has imposed extremely tight controls through its dictatorial control of the country. China's infection rate is consequently low and the strain on Chinese healthcare facilities has been modest. It is thus dictatorial control and effective rules that have spared China, not the relative paucity of obesity.

Note also that despite the obesity epidemic in the United States, average health in the US is much better than in China. Differences in air and water pollution lead to severe chronic respiratory problems in the Chinese population, including asthma and immunological problems that would feed right into COVID deaths. The absence of such extreme respiratory problems is why Americans live over two years longer than Chinese on average. So if the infection rates were comparable, it's probable that the already ill Chinese people who can't get decent medical care would be dying more rapidly than Americans.

Your argument, in other words, would only be sustainable if the Chinese infection rate were the same or higher than in the US and that the number of deaths in the US nevertheless remained more elevated. And you can't demonstrate that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 11:32AM

I can grab a hunk of belly fat.

Date: October 12, 2020 11:51AM

It’s the “1/3 believe” that gets me. That’s a lot of people. It provides some insight into the American psyche. They want a kind of purification, like Robert DeNiro’s character in “Taxi Driver”.

The belief in purification by fire is dangerous because it makes such a thing possible. It also explains the opposition to masks. They interfere with God’s work.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 12:40PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-----------------------------------------
> The reason China has fared so much better than the
> US is that the US has not locked down. It has
> neither required masks nor demanded social
> distancing, so the infection has exploded.

These are crucial points. As is the absolute incisive truth that obesity itself does not affect the probability of infection in the first place. Rather, transmission is demonstrably lessened by employing proven prevention strategies - masking, distancing and washing hands. I leave it to you to come to conclusions as to how that has gone in every country affected by this pandemic.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 03:35PM

But the facts don't play into his Nature is God narrative.

Date: October 13, 2020 04:54AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> But the facts don't play into his Nature is God
> narrative.

How's that?
Seems like it fits perfectly.
Mother Nature is god and she wants unfit people dead.
Seems like she's getting her way.

Date: October 13, 2020 02:31PM

Once again your logic has devolved into tautology. If nature is good, then anything that happens is good--whether that is the birth of a species, the death of a species, or the Nazi murder of six million Jews. For nature includes humans, who according to your logic act as her agents.

We are left with nothing. Like Dr. Pangloss, you simply say everything is the best in this best of all possible worlds.

That's meaningless.

Date: October 13, 2020 03:20PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Once again your logic has devolved into tautology.
> If nature is good, then anything that happens is
> good--whether that is the birth of a species, the
> death of a species, or the Nazi murder of six
> million Jews.

Wrong actually. I believe that life is good and nature tends towards life, otherwise life wouldn't exist. Genocide is evil because it is the opposite of what is good, life, sustaining it and creating it.

> For nature includes humans, who
> according to your logic act as her agents.

False. Sometimes, as with the example you cited, the holocaust, is the exact opposite of life creating or sustaining.

> We are left with nothing. Like Dr. Pangloss, you
> simply say everything is the best in this best of
> all possible worlds.
>
> That's meaningless.

You're right, that would be meaningless if that's what I said, but it's the exact opposite of what I said.
Quit putting words in my mouth and you'll see that I'm not the evil monster you make me out to be.

Date: October 13, 2020 03:29PM

> Quit putting words in my mouth and you'll see that
> I'm not the evil monster you make me out to be.

There it is again: the substitution of bellicosity for logic.

What you are trying to hide with that tactic is a fundamental change in your argument. You started by saying that what nature produces is good. Now you argue that life is good. The two positions are not identical.

Moreover your assertion that the promotion of life is good is illogical. Any objective observer of the cosmos would conclude that the universal rule is death and that life is an exception. Life is evidently rare and always ends in individual and, in all known cases, general extinction. Empirically, therefore, nature prefers death to life.

Date: October 14, 2020 01:57PM

How do we know whether genocide is good or evil? I wouldn’t do it, but that’s me. The people doing the genociding see their actions as good. The Chinese see their assimilation of the Uighurs as good, most in the West see it as abhorrent.

So it’s possible that we live in the best of all possible worlds and just don’t know it. Moreover, a widespread belief is that we come into the world with a soul contract. We are in on our demise through whatever means before we are born. I can’t prove that or disprove it, it’s just what I’ve picked up over the years. We are not alone by any means.

What I can show is how illogical people actually are, especially the smart ones. They know how to win their own head games. How do you know when you’ve left Plato’s cave? Maybe you are just in another cave.

Date: October 14, 2020 02:27PM

Voltaire would have replied that some people do indeed live in mental caves: namely, those who refuse to declare genocide and rape and other horrors unequivocally evil. That was the point of Candide--to denounce that ridiculous and craven attitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 02:31PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: October 14, 2020 03:08PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > Quit putting words in my mouth and you'll see
> that
> > I'm not the evil monster you make me out to be.
>
> There it is again: the substitution of bellicosity
> for logic.
>
> What you are trying to hide with that tactic is a
> fundamental change in your argument. You started
> by saying that what nature produces is good. Now
> you argue that life is good. The two positions
> are not identical.

What nature produces is good, on balance. Despite all the destructive forces at work in the cosmos, life continues, which is good, in as much as life exists and has existed, without interruption, for 3.7 billion years. That to me means that nature tends towards life and order, more than it tends towards chaos, otherwise the cosmos wouldn't exist and there would be only chaos.

> Moreover your assertion that the promotion of life
> is good is illogical. Any objective observer of
> the cosmos would conclude that the universal rule
> is death and that life is an exception. Life is
> evidently rare and always ends in individual and,
> in all known cases, general extinction.
> Empirically, therefore, nature prefers death to
> life.

That's the complete opposite of the reality that life exists and has existed uninterrupted over the past 3.8 Billion years. If the universe preferred death to life, then we'd all be dead, not alive.
How is that not empirically obvious?

Date: October 14, 2020 03:48PM

> What nature produces is good, on balance.

That is your article of faith. It is not logically obvious and you have never been able to offer any evidence save a restatement of your personal beliefs.

---------------------
> Despite
> all the destructive forces at work in the cosmos,
> life continues, which is good, in as much as life
> exists and has existed, without interruption, for
> 3.7 billion years. That to me means that nature
> tends towards life and order, more than it tends
> towards chaos, otherwise the cosmos wouldn't exist
> and there would be only chaos.

What proportion of mass in the universe is organized in the form of life? One billionth of a percent would be a vast overstatement. So what the universe produces is inanimate, dead things. Moreover, thermodynamics tells us the universe is becoming more disordered over time. You claim the universe tends towards life and order; in fact, it produces death and disorder.

------------
> That's the complete opposite of the reality that
> life exists and has existed uninterrupted over the
> past 3.8 Billion years. If the universe preferred
> death to life, then we'd all be dead, not alive.
> How is that not empirically obvious?

Because it is not empirically true.

You have a hard time dealing with nuance, Scat. The truth is that life in the universe doesn't even amount to a rounding error. Thermodynamics indicates that you can get local organization even as the universal trend is towards disorder. What you call the core of the cosmos is in fact a 10+ sigma anomaly in a universe whose underlying dynamic is the tendency towards entropy.

Date: October 16, 2020 03:40PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > What nature produces is good, on balance.
>
> That is your article of faith. It is not
> logically obvious and you have never been able to
> offer any evidence save a restatement of your
> personal beliefs.
>
The fact that you and I are alive, and life has existed, uninterrupted, for 3.8 Billion years is all the evidence I or any rational person needs to conclude, the obvious, that Nature, on balance, tends towards life.
How is that not obvious to you?
Oh yeah, not rational.

> ---------------------
> > Despite
> > all the destructive forces at work in the
> cosmos,
> > life continues, which is good, in as much as
> life
> > exists and has existed, without interruption,
> for
> > 3.7 billion years. That to me means that nature
> > tends towards life and order, more than it
> tends
> > towards chaos, otherwise the cosmos wouldn't
> exist
> > and there would be only chaos.
>
> What proportion of mass in the universe is
> organized in the form of life? One billionth of a
> percent would be a vast overstatement. So what
> the universe produces is inanimate, dead things.
> Moreover, thermodynamics tells us the universe is
> becoming more disordered over time. You claim the
> universe tends towards life and order; in fact, it
> produces death and disorder.

If it tended more towards death and chaos, than life and cosmos wouldn't exist. Yes it's that simple.

"For every one billion particles of antimatter there were one billion and one particles of matter. And when the mutual annihilation was complete, one billionth remained - and that's our present universe." - Albert Einstein

> ------------
> > That's the complete opposite of the reality
> that
> > life exists and has existed uninterrupted over
> the
> > past 3.8 Billion years. If the universe
> preferred
> > death to life, then we'd all be dead, not alive.
>
> > How is that not empirically obvious?
>
> Because it is not empirically true.
>
> You have a hard time dealing with nuance, Scat.
> The truth is that life in the universe doesn't
> even amount to a rounding error. Thermodynamics
> indicates that you can get local organization even
> as the universal trend is towards disorder. What
> you call the core of the cosmos is in fact a 10+
> sigma anomaly in a universe whose underlying
> dynamic is the tendency towards entropy.

Yet life exists, and has existed for 3.8Billion years, despite the all the destructive forces at work. Creative forces outweigh the destructive forces, otherwise there would be no matter.

"When scientists use the word God, they usually mean the God of Order. For example, one of the most important revelations in Einstein’s early childhood took place when he read his first books on science. He immediately realized that most of what he had been taught about religion could not possibly be true. Throughout his career, however, he clung to the belief that a mysterious, divine Order existed in the universe." Michio Kaku

https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/michio-kaku-believes-in-god-if-not-that-god

I'm with Michio and Einstein

Date: October 16, 2020 05:08PM

What you lack in intelligence you make up for with pomposity.

-----------------
> The fact that you and I are alive, and life has
> existed, uninterrupted, for 3.8 Billion years is
> all the evidence I or any rational person needs to
> conclude, the obvious, that Nature, on balance,
> tends towards life.
> How is that not obvious to you?
> Oh yeah, not rational.

I apologize for using a big word, but this is called the teleological fallacy. Life in the universe is a rounding error; the vast majority of what nature has produced is inert, dead. Yet you choose to focus on the rounding error and conclude teleologically that nature "tends towards life." That is ridiculous.

That you would add the "on balance" term is even more revelatory. If you take the living substances in the universe and put them on one side of a scale and the living ones on the other, guess where your "on balance" ends up? On the floor with you. I like, however, your using such an obvious metaphor since is shows exactly how insipid your teleology is.

--------------
> If it tended more towards death and chaos, than
> life and cosmos wouldn't exist. Yes it's that
> simple.

I wish you could appreciate the irony in what you write. If the universe "tended" towards something, you would see more of it than of other things. What we see is inert matter, not life. Therefore the universe does not tend towards life.

---------------
> "For every one billion particles of antimatter
> there were one billion and one particles of
> matter. And when the mutual annihilation was
> complete, one billionth remained - and that's our
> present universe." - Albert Einstein

Einstein just explained how matter exists, not life. The quotation offers no support for your thesis.

----------------
> "When scientists use the word God, they usually
> mean the God of Order. For example, one of the
> most important revelations in Einstein’s early
> childhood took place when he read his first books
> on science. He immediately realized that most of
> what he had been taught about religion could not
> possibly be true. Throughout his career, however,
> he clung to the belief that a mysterious, divine
> Order existed in the universe." Michio Kaku

Yet another irrelevant quotation. It says nothing about life.

------------------
> I'm with Michio and Einstein

If that were true, you could cite quotations from them saying the universe tends towards life. But you can't. Why? Because they don't agree with you.

Kaku--that's his last name, Scat--and Einstein are not teleological thinkers. They are not "with" you.

Date: October 13, 2020 02:35PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> How's that?

How's Mother Nature doing? Are you are prophet?

> Seems like it fits perfectly.
> Mother Nature is god and she wants unfit people
> dead.

Nice try. Even "unfit" creatures can reproduce. We humans are the best proof of that.

> Seems like she's getting her way.

No. The expansion of humans and their overpopulation of places causes diseases to become more active in these populations. Whether those are from a forest or the breakdown of essential services it doesn't matter. No active agent need be involved. You crash attitude and indifference to humans dying as some sort of Mother Nature getting her way speaks volumes about your humanity. Your desire for something higher shows your disregard for us lowly human beings. Misanthropy in the service of some non-existent "Mother Nature" is some really dark energy.

Date: October 13, 2020 03:37PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> schrodingerscat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How's that?
>
> How's Mother Nature doing? Are you are prophet?

Mother Nature always wins, in the end.

>
> > Seems like it fits perfectly.
> > Mother Nature is god and she wants unfit people
> > dead.
>
> Nice try. Even "unfit" creatures can reproduce. We
> humans are the best proof of that.

Natural Selection and survival of the fittest would say otherwise.

>
> > Seems like she's getting her way.
>
> No. The expansion of humans and their
> overpopulation of places causes diseases to become
> more active in these populations. Whether those
> are from a forest or the breakdown of essential
> services it doesn't matter. No active agent need
> be involved. You crash attitude and indifference
> to humans dying as some sort of Mother Nature
> getting her way speaks volumes about your
> humanity.

All I am saying is that Nature tends to strike a balance that creates, sustains and animates life. Or at least it has for the past 13.8 Billion years and I expect that trajectory to continue for the foreseeable future. Being out of sync with that natural balance, is what causes dis-ease. The reason Americans are more afflicted with disease due to Coronavirus, is because we're out of sync with the natural balance. It's not good to be obese. It gives you heart disease, the leading cause of death in America, which is the main reason our death rate is 5 x's higher than the rest of the world's. The good news is there's something we all can do to control that. Get back in sync with nature's balance.

> Your desire for something higher shows
> your disregard for us lowly human beings.

I don't think there's anything sacred about human beings. I'm not a humanist, I'm a naturalist. I see no reason why Homo Sapiens Sapiens is entitled to outlive every other species on the planet, given the fact that the other 15 species of Humans has gone the way of the dinosaur and we've kicked off the 6th mass extinction,

https://bio.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Introductory_and_General_Biology/Book%3A_Introductory_Biology_(CK-12)/06%3A_Ecology/6.26%3A_Human_Actions_and_the_Sixth_Mass_Extinction#:~:text=Evidence%20shows%20that%20a%20sixth,big%20mammals%20such%20as%20mammoths.

which kicks into high gear when you push the Doomsday clock to 100 seconds to midnight.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/

> Misanthropy in the service of some non-existent
> "Mother Nature" is some really dark energy.

Some of my favorite people are misanthropes and 'dark energy' is 70% of the Cosmos, so it's the 'normal state'. What we can see and measure is only 'dark energy' slowed down, temporarily, long enough to matter.

Date: October 13, 2020 03:59PM

Naturist.

na·tur·ist
/ˈnāCHərəst/

noun
noun: naturist; plural noun: naturists
British
a person who goes naked in designated areas; a nudist.
h
Similar:
nudist

sun worshipper

nudie

h
Opposite:
textile

a person who worships nature or natural objects.

So what do you think of humans? Are they unnatural? How do you worship nature? Taking all your clothing off and running around as an unnatural human or is nudity a way to worship naturally?

Date: October 14, 2020 03:17PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Naturist.
>
>
> na·tur·ist
> /ˈnāCHərəst/
>
> noun
> noun: naturist; plural noun: naturists
> 1.
> British
> a person who goes naked in designated areas; a
> nudist.
> h
> Similar:
> nudist
>
Sometimes, like twice a year on Little Beach in Maui.

>
> sun worshipper

Yep. For sure that one, year round.
>
> nudie
>
>
> h
> Opposite:
> textile
>
>
> 2.
> a person who worships nature or natural objects.
>
Yes. I'm a pantheist.
>
> So what do you think of humans?

Depends on the human. I generally like humans, until they give me a reason not to like them.

> Are they unnatural?

No. But they can be out of touch with the natural balance, which is generally the case.

> How do you worship nature? Taking all
> your clothing off and running around as an
> unnatural human or is nudity a way to worship
> naturally?

I commune with nature, spend time outside in a natural place, on/in/under the water, swimming with sea turtles is my favorite way. They're my Zen masters. Listening to whale songs, enjoying life, or in the woods or in the mountains, enjoying it in a quiet peaceful way a lot like Zen Buddhists, Epicureans, Stoics and Native Americans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 03:19PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 04:14AM

Yes, YES, YES Nighty!!!

On the rare occasions that DH and I go out for shopping or other errands, I get so upset when I see people (too many of them) who aren't wearing masks.

Many businesses around here (New Mexico) are not letting people enter the store unless they are wearing masks. And of course, this leads to belligerent confrontations. We were doing pretty well for the first several months of COVID infestation, but numbers are going up again.

Why should it be a "right" to choose not to wear a mask in public? It is a public health issue, for crying out loud!! Our Governor has mandated mask-wearing in public, but there are police officers who won't do a thing to enforce it. I think this is largely because of the poor example set at the very top of national leadership.

Most of us do our share to avoid getting the Plague. We wear masks in public, use hand sanitizer the minute we get back in the car, and wash hands again as soon as we are home. WE are doing our best to remain healthy. It's the ones who don't appear to give a rat's rear about the rest of the community who upset me the most.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 10:54AM

Wow, you start with 1/3 of Americans believe Coronavirus was sent by god, then switch to an obesity problem?

You have an odd way of connecting the dots.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 01:28PM

Yes America. Change your ways and start wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 01:43PM

I won't say it was sent by God but planned long before it occurred and not prevented in coming by God.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:29PM

Coronabeer was sent by Mexico

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 06:01PM

No, it was sent by Riverside County in the city of Corona. jk

I My aunt, uncle and cousins used to live in that city and I live in Upland so I'm quite familiar with it and close.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 05:16PM

...or while wearing a blindfold.

It’s important that you comprehend this!! Opinions of assorted scientists I approve of and random popular press articles, with surveys of less than 600 people, guide my life!!

“Follow me, where I go,
What I do and who I know,
Make it part of you
To be a part of me...”

Posted by: God ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 05:17PM

Sorry about that. My bad. I should have been wearing a mask and keeping more distance. (Though how I could keep more distance then I do, I don't know.}

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 05:44PM

Why would you want to follow such a crappy God?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 06:24PM

The title of the study is "What Lessons Do Americans See for Humanity in the Pandemic?"

https://www.pewforum.org/essay/what-lessons-do-americans-see-for-humanity-in-the-pandemic/

It's part of Pew's American Trends Panel https://www.pewresearch.org/methods/u-s-survey-research/american-trends-panel/

"First, we asked people: Do you believe there is a lesson or a set of lessons for humankind to learn from the coronavirus outbreak? And if so, do you think these lessons were sent by God, or not?

"A large majority of U.S. adults (86%) say there is some kind of lesson or set of lessons for humankind to learn from the pandemic, and about a third of Americans (35%) say the lessons were sent by God. The remainder say the lessons were not sent by God (37%), they do not believe in God (13%), or there is no lesson to be learned (13%).

"Then, we asked half the respondents who said yes to the first question to describe, in their own words, what lessons they think humankind should learn. This prompted more than 3,700 people to write their answers, which ranged from a few words to several sentences.

"The rest of this essay looks at a sampling of responses – including many examples presented exactly as respondents wrote them. Some responses have been lightly edited for spelling and clarity. Due in part to the great variety of responses we received, we did not attempt to quantify what percentage of Americans believe there is a certain type of lesson to be learned.

"There are, however, a few common themes. These include practical lessons, such as wearing a mask; personal lessons, like remembering the importance of spending time with family and loved ones; and societal lessons, such as the need for universal health care. Still other takeaways are political in nature, including criticisms of both political parties and concerns about the politicization of the pandemic.

"Americans who say God is using the pandemic to send a lesson to humanity often highlight religious lessons. Those who do not think the lessons of the pandemic were sent by God mention a variety of topics – though rarely religious ones."

1. Lessons about God and religion: ‘The rapture is at hand’
2. Lessons about society: ‘Just who are the essential workers?’
3. Lessons about life and relationships: ‘An opportunity for people to rethink their priorities’
4. Lessons about government and politics: ‘Political polarization is detrimental to the public good’
5. Practical lessons: ‘Cleanliness is of extreme importance’

The real article is interesting. The areas of overlap are interesting.

General trends of religion in America: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Spoiler Alert: Mormons are hanging tough. ;)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 06:20AM

The paper was from a year ago. After a year of pandemic and no church, and the LDS missionary program shot to hell, I'm not sure LDS inc still has the same hold on its youth that it enjoyed in the past.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 02:18PM

Good point.

Date: October 11, 2020 06:27PM

Probably 87%, or higher, of all humans believe that when they stand still, they are motionless.

Slightly less believe they are special, compared to "all the others".

Exactly 7.55‰ think they should be "in charge".

Date: October 11, 2020 06:36PM

66.67% of statistics are made up and completely random,
including this one.

Date: October 12, 2020 03:40PM

Do you believe this one?

"Nearly half of American adults will experience a mental illness during their lifetime."
https://bestlifeonline.com/crazy-statistics/?nab=1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Date: October 11, 2020 06:39PM

God did send COVID.

It's just that God is Ba'al and he's been biding his time since the Hebrews burned down the groves and destroyed the Asherah statues 2,600 years ago. Anyone who thinks this is Jehovah's doing and that people should behave in a more Christian fashion is actually making things worse.

"Revenge is a virus best served cold."

--Ba'al, the Canaan hills, December 2019

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 06:39PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 12:41PM

Can confirm. Ba'al told me last night.

Date: October 12, 2020 03:04PM

The ol' Ba'al and Chain?

Date: October 13, 2020 06:14AM

So Ba'al Zeebub, the Lord of the Flies, sent us a sign at the VP debate?

Cue spooky music.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 12, 2020 06:32PM

So China is god?
Well that's not really fair. It could have come from France.

Date: October 13, 2020 06:17AM

And you don't think France is God's gift to the world? <insert snarky comment about French waiters>

Ok, they are pretty good at cheese, wine and bread.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 02:10PM

They are probably included in the larger percentage that believes that God specifically chooses presidents an d that the United States is top of his priority list.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 04:00PM

I know a couple in their 60s who are uber-Christians (indirect relatives). They go to their voting poll place every day near Boise to "watch for fraud."

They were told they should do this at their church. They are not official poll workers or watchers. It sounds like they are following dog-whistle hints from God's favorite president, amplified by their church.

Their idea of wearing a mask is using it as a necklace.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: October 13, 2020 06:02PM

No wonder Reynolds split from her.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:02AM

The rest know it was brought by the trouble maker himself, even the man who thought he could trump the virus, Trump.

More people had the coronavirus in the white house last week than in Taiwan, Vietnam, and New Zealand, combined.

D. C. Virus
Donnie Spreads

Date: October 14, 2020 02:06PM

Thirty percent of Americans claim to believe in astrology. It is too easy this country to be really clueless and still not die.

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2020/04/11/42552/

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 02:37PM

The one-third are of course correct.

God is a sadistic fascist psychopathic empire-building monster, as all darkside comrades know well, who enjoys nothing better than a jolly good mass-murder, here a plague, there a virus, shovel the kiddies off to hell for collecting sticks on the sabbath, perhaps a spot of genocide after a fat lunch, famine always a favourite, and unless you regurgitate 10% of your income, sonny jim, your name can go on the list.

Naturally, if you believe in god, you suspect the biggest bully on the intergalactic block.

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 02:51PM

... However, taking a scientific approach, and after extensive research down the pub, I am happy to confirm that Covid-19 was developed in a laboratory as part of a diabolical plan to reduce the population by the illuminati and the greys ...

Date: October 14, 2020 02:57PM

I heard that this attempt to 'prune' mankind's numbers was definitely aimed at "old folk", because the "old folks'" kids were eager to inherit sooner.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 03:19PM

I'd like it more if maybe 1/3 of the population believed God finally removed Coronavirus, maybe restored grocery items back to yonder shelves and kept cold beer and even Corona beer around for anybody who wants one.
I'd even sustain the idea that a novel virus may visit again sometime, so the practice of good hygiene seems to be always welcome.
Been seeing an interesting array of persons (including me heh heh) reacting to additional pressures created by US elections and nearly eleven months of covid19 cleanliness activities, some think "restrictions" but that is a maybe mostly the poor choice of wording. Pursuing hobbies and spiritual serenity abounds in times like these..

Date: October 14, 2020 03:46PM

What if my hobby is persuing spiritual serenity?

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 04:24PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> What if my hobby is persuing spiritual serenity?

Elder Old Dog, aside from vices or any unmentioned hobbies?
Thanks for the welcomed quick reply and additional wit!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 10:35PM

I'd say more than 1/3 of Americans are fools. The percentage is likely greater than that.

Date: October 16, 2020 12:43AM

If humans couldn't fool themselves so easily, advertising and partisan politics wouldn't exist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.