Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 03:58PM

Religion is essential, even during a pandemic, MORmON Leader David Bednar tells global forum

"Severing people from their religious communities, he warned the assembled leaders Wednesday, “threatens people’s spiritual, mental, emotional and physical health. Experts are documenting the rise in depression, physical and emotional abuse, suicide and other tragedies during times of social lockdown and isolation.”

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/10/14/religion-is-essential/?fbclid=IwAR3IsdZU4whh4rMi294wlcxQ4N6mJsG98O9_WZfkZv3NfzenHbu5koczl0w

Is that why you excommunicate/Disfellowship people like Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, Grant Palmer, Simon Southerton and Thomas Murphy for publishing their honest research?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 04:05PM

Given what David is teaching, what do you think his answer would be?

Date: October 14, 2020 05:44PM

He'd probably say they excommunicated/disfellowshipped those people because they were leading other Mormons astray, which is why they threatened me with similar discipline before I beat them to the punch and resigned.
My wife told me "We committed social suicide by leaving the church".
Maybe so, but my conscience wouldn't allow me to remain silent. Leaving was worth the price of freedom for me and my family.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:09PM

> my conscience wouldn't allow
> me to remain silent.

I'd sure settle for your conscience giving up on copying & pasting... And lord knows you don't need us to hero-worship you!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 09:26PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> My wife told me "We committed social suicide by
> leaving the church".

remember those old images of vaudeville stage managers use a Hook to drag unwanted performers off the stage?

This is Mormonisms prime hook, social acceptance; too bad it works not only in the IMW but anywhere mormons live in a bubble / clanish.

It also echos the acceptance that members with their 'membership card' (a TR) use as a measure of inclusion into the cult, for themselves & others.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:50PM

Severing people from their ball and chain threatens the bottom line.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:52PM

"Experts are documenting the rise in depression, physical and emotional abuse, suicide and other tragedies during times of social lockdown and isolation.”

While this may be true, I think that Bednar suggesting the Mormon church is the answer to these troubles makes Trump's suggestion of using hyrodychloroquine to treat Covid look positively inspired.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:11PM

Well put.

I'd add the converse: mental health wasn't good during previous pandemics even if there was no lockdown.

Bring out yer dead.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 11:36AM

Dark humour makes you laugh but feel guilty all at the same time. But that is a good one D&D. Sometimes you just gotta laugh. Otherwise...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:58PM

Except that people are not severed from their spiritual communities. Some churches are holding televised services, some are holding meetings via Zoom and other platforms, and some are holding socially distanced services.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 10:38AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Except that people are not severed from their
> spiritual communities. Some churches are holding
> televised services, some are holding meetings via
> Zoom and other platforms, and some are holding
> socially distanced services.

Absolutely correct!

I don't understand his rant unless it's to play the poor mormon victim card. Boo-hoo we can't control members like we used to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:59PM

Like a fish needs a bicycle.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:09PM

Bednar ... like Sarah Palin but with better vocabulary.

Date: October 14, 2020 06:11PM

Bednar . . . like Pence but without the flies.

Well, scratch that.

Bednar. . . like Pence.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 09:07PM

Pence thinks God talks to him. Bednar thinks he is just really really close to Jesus. But maybe Bednar thinks God talks to him. He thinks The Holy Ghost does. At least he has a job that warrants it even if he seems way creepier than Pence.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 10:35PM

Bednar thinks he gives orders to God.

Date: October 14, 2020 11:29PM

God is a junior partner in the Q15's church.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 09:00PM

That's because it's his source of income.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 09:15AM

Don't you think Bednar just really misses the adulation of the little people?

Date: October 15, 2020 09:59AM

No doubt. But his self adulation is probably a very impressive substitute and on top of that, with his exhortation of Sister Bednar's worship of him as well, that should get him through.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 03:41PM

Hey Dave..fuck off

Date: October 15, 2020 03:42PM

+1

Date: October 15, 2020 03:46PM

Paying >10% of your gross, not net, income to a church with a $100 Billion stock portfolio is essential, even during a pandemic and if you're unemployed.

Date: October 16, 2020 10:42AM

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 04:25PM

The article also mentions that Garret Gong, got the covid-china-bat-poo virus as well. If we could all just social distance for a couple of weeks it could all be over. Maybe Bednard will read this SL tribune article and take it to heart and change his ways, Saddly I think not though.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 09:30AM

I got out my notepad. I was going to take notes on what things the government had done to infringe upon the rights of the LDS church. I got "Government needs to understand that religion is essential".

Thats it.

I also waited on any solutions. None were offered. I guess its implied, that they shouldn't put restrictions on gatherings??? Then he says no one has the right to spread the virus.

So which is it? You can't gather without some germs being passed around.

The leader of the church hasn't even hinted that he regrets the lockdown. We only hear this every few months from Bednar. Nelson seemed all for playing it safe, which is commendable.

I don't know what Bednar is on about.

Date: October 16, 2020 10:28AM

Haha. No persecution required anymore to qualify for victimhood.

Date: October 16, 2020 11:10AM

"Experts are documenting the rise in depression, physical and emotional abuse, suicide and other tragedies during times of social lockdown and isolation.”

Until a year or two ago, this was the very definition of serving a mormon mission.

Aside from a weekly letter, you could not contact your family save two times a year.

While at the MTC, I was told by one of the MTC bishops that I received way too much mail. Apparently some jealous elder complained that he was depressed and blamed me for receiving a glutton of letters each week (I most certainly never volunteered such info during a ppi worthiness interview).

And that's how the church rolls. They put blame on others for their crappy policies and programs.

Date: October 16, 2020 11:57AM

Ka-ching! ' . . . very definition of a mission."

Oh yeah!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 11:24AM

>> Experts are documenting the rise in depression, physical and emotional abuse, suicide and other tragedies.....

Sounds like drug withdrawal. Why would anyone want to get hooked on religion? As soon as you can't get your regular dose, you feel sick, desperate and life collapses around you. What a great product!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.