Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 05:49PM

I'm not taking about the ones who openly refuse to obey the mask and social distancing rules. They seem to take it as a given that they are entitled to risk the lives of other community members to protect their own "freedoms."

But for those of us who have worn masks, washed hands endlessly, done our best to keep our distance from others, yada, yada - doesn't it feel like some of this stuff is getting really OLD, and is making people irritable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:02PM

I read about a jurisdiction where people are allowed to consume alcohol if they are seated, but not if they are standing. Such a discerning virus! I don't drink, but that would make me cranky.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:07PM

I nominate myself for the most uncrankiest guy (when not behind the wheel of a car) in the unknown universe! So pretty hard to prove I'm not!

I do constantly worry that because of the covid mask, people can't see me smiling.

Date: October 14, 2020 06:19PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I do constantly worry that because of the covid
> mask, people can't see me smiling.

Even though the mask does precious little to keep me "safe," I do appreciate that it hides my irregular, coffee-stained teeth and protects you, slightly, from my trench breath.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:26PM

yes. I am cranky more than normal.

Date: October 14, 2020 06:29PM

Please ma'am, what is 'normal'?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:30PM

Not cranky so much as tired. Everyone I know is exhausted, and it's mostly emotional fatigue.

Date: October 14, 2020 06:34PM

If one were to ask you to consider 'irrational fatigue' as being a synonym for 'emotional fatigue', how would you respond?

Not that I'm asking, or anything!

Date: October 14, 2020 09:42PM

They can use you there.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 06:59PM

They only make me more cranky when I'm alone or with somebody

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 07:08PM

I've wondered how much what you describe is a first world problem. I can imagine taking precautions in situations where the people around me are extremely poor and I would be a freak to them just trying to keep the microorganisms from myself.

We might have to do this for the future. It would change our culture and we would bear the brunt of the change. Pioneers at the end of the era of social freedoms in an abundance world.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 09:27PM

Not more cranky. Probably not possible. haha.

My first year at Weber State many revolutions of the sun ago, we studied the results of baby monkeys deprived of any contact with the mother or any other contact comfort. I can't remember if they were chimps or monkeys but things did not turn out well for them. Don't remember the clinical terms, but, they went nuts. Stark ravers. Messes. Not well adjusted to say the least.

I feel a low grade feeling somewhat the equivalent. I don't even like being around a lot of people, but having a masks on removes them to a certain degree even when you are with them. Contact comfort is MIA as we treat each other as potential "carriers." We need it more than we know. Mental, physical, social, and emotional contact comfort.

Like it or not, we are hooked on each other and there is no methadone for the withdrawal. German Chocolate cake may be the only reasonable substitute.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 10:11PM

Pets can help. The last thing I do everyday is to pick up my elderly cat so that his paws are resting over my shoulder, and take a walk around the house. He enjoys looking at things from a high vantage point. Then before I go to bed, I hug him tight, and tell him that he is loved, and he responds with a deep, contented purr. He insists on this routine as much as I do. :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 12:55AM

I do much the same thing with my elderly female cat. Unlike her younger "sister," she sometimes has to be picked up and carried from the place on the sofa where she likes to sleep, to the place where her food dish is kept. DH and dtr both insist that by doing this, I am only reinforcing the cat's contrary behavior, but what the heck? Our neighbor the vet says that at this age, my cat should be considered "in hospice," and therefore, catered to.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 02:08AM

I say cater away! Anyone that doesn't like it can go pound sand :) My Big Girl (all 10 lbs of her) insists on being watched when she eats. She stands there and barks till someone comes. My Tiny Girl (a whopping 5 lbs) would be held every minute if I would do it. She has ways to sneak up and I don't even notice lol. Love them, love every moment you have with them. You make them happy, they make us happy and that is a good thing!

As to people being cranky, I don't really know. With Hubby being such high risk we just stay in. His working from home has been an adjustment. I have to plan, shop and organize for ten more meals a week. Plus, he is not good at cleaning up after himself lol. One thing we have done is I stay up late and get up late. He gets up for work early and goes to bed early. This way we are not on top of each other all day long. It is less of an adjustment from when he traveled 90% of the time to being home 90%.

Date: October 15, 2020 10:07AM

Our little dog is everything. She is so sweet and playful and the older she gets the more she wants to be part of us every single second. That is heaven.

The nearly fifty of us at work are a tight bunch. Most have been there up to thirty years. Family as far as I'm concerned. Wicked humor all around which is actually an unspoken requirement. The masks and distancing have changed the dynamic. Probably somewhat like that fool Mark E. Petersen and some of the other Apostles who never saw their wives naked and probably had sex though a sheet haha. Just not the same as a flesh craving naked romp on the kitchen table. Yeah.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 10:59AM

Well, your little girl is a full on Princess :) She bats a lash and you jump to serve! Not that I have a bit of room to talk. The smallest thing in this house runs it.

I would say you are lucky about your work but it isn't luck. You worked damn hard for a long time to make it what it is. Masks and distancing are a PIA but doable. On a retirement list I read it is amazing how many people are sorry they retired when they did for a lot of reasons and not just money. Once we get a handle on this Covid crap a bit more traveling would be a good idea. But you are no Spring Chicken so be careful on that kitchen table!

Date: October 15, 2020 12:17PM

Haha. The kitchen table is safe nowadays. Trust me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 11:37PM

Attachment Theory. A very important academic and psychological subject.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 14, 2020 10:59PM

I can only speak for myself, and the answer is yes, yes it has.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 12:26AM

Gave me a good excuse to stay home even more than normal. I enjoy being a hermit actually.

Date: October 15, 2020 12:29AM

It leaves me vituperative.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 02:12AM

I've had enough of your opprobrious behavior.

Date: October 15, 2020 03:11AM

Watch it, Beth. I will not abide your wild calumnies.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 03:23AM

:D

Date: October 15, 2020 03:31AM

I hope this ends soon lest Beth exhaust my store of cool words!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 03:39AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I hope this ends soon lest Beth exhaust my store
> of cool words!

I am laughing.

Sweet dreams to everyone.

Date: October 15, 2020 03:41AM

You too, Tevai.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 10:21AM

Logophilia in the ante meridiem.

Date: October 15, 2020 10:52AM

Date: October 15, 2020 12:59PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Watch it, Beth. I will not
> abide your wild calumnies.

Yes, you artsy-fartsy city creatures do appreciate your benign calumnies.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 11:00AM

I'm getting a tad annoyed that I can't travel out of my state. However I agree with our state premier keeping the borders closed until other states are as virus free as possible. With the state being huge we'll probably go on a holiday fairly soon anyway to somewhere we haven't been yet...Broome, maybe.

Inside our state life is pretty much normal...everything is open, shopping malls are busy and we have now gone 6 months without a locally acquired corona virus case...strict quarantine for 14 days on entry means the only cases we have are returned travelers and none have passed on the virus.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 04:35PM

Like you Lindy, I'm also a bit frustrated that I can't travel out of my state. Not only that, there are also restrictions as to where I can travel within my state.

I miss being able to just pack a bag, hop in my car and drive across the world's longest golf course to see my son, daughter-in-law and grand-children in the West. I miss being able to pop down regularly to Melbourne for a day or two to see my daughter, grandson and my sister.

I also miss my car which has been under lockdown in Melbourne since I was hospitalised there in March and then transferred by ambulance back to my local hospital in Regional Victoria.

To answer the original poster, as frustrating as the restrictions are at times, I realise how necessary they are and only become cranky when I see or hear of people who think these restrictions don't apply to them.

Date: October 15, 2020 01:57PM

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 04:37PM

Yes folks are getting cranky, and we haven't even gotten into the miserable North American winter yet. It's going to get a whole lot worse!

I was just listening to NPR today and they had a story about a special needs 18 year old who has been wearing the mask and obeying for 8 months now, even though there is no inperson classes. It's all zoom meetings at home. But masks are still required.

He has decided that it's time to take the damn thing off. So he's currently being disciplined by the school.

It's an ugly thing, more will likely start rebelling soon, I figure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.