Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 05:18PM

This news came as a shocker in my e-mail box this morning. I really liked Tom; I met him at two ex-Mormon Conferences. He was still a member during the first but had left by the second and had moved over to the Community of Christ. Signature Books was a great resource for those seeking actual LDS History.

I was horrified by the pedophilia charges, of course.

https://religionnews.com/2020/10/15/suicide-complicated-grief-and-the-hidden-darkness-of-the-heart/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otowndrone ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 08:47PM

Sorry to hear about Tom, I first met him years ago at Benchmark Books in SLC where he was working as a book buyer. Spoke with him by phone about a year ago when he graciously referred me to a local publisher to assist with a book project.

As I recall Tom was from the Spencer W. Kimball family (not directly but was related in some way) and he had a brilliant brother Glenn, who was an author and regular on the late Art Bell radio program.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 15, 2020 10:24PM

Where's the proof?

Anyone can sling allegations. I like all the arrests for those types of crimes but I know nothing about this case.

Life gets boring and how could it not when you are giving temple tours to tourists. Screw that.

Nitrogen and trash bag here I come. End it or change daily activity. Some people experienced all they need and ready to move on to the ultimate question.

What, if anything is beyond death? Sounds courageous to be willing to get the answer sooner than wait a few more decades.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 05:29AM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's the proof?
>
> Anyone can sling allegations. I like all the
> arrests for those types of crimes but I know
> nothing about this case.
>
> Life gets boring and how could it not when you are
> giving temple tours to tourists. Screw that.
>
> Nitrogen and trash bag here I come. End it or
> change daily activity. Some people experienced
> all they need and ready to move on to the ultimate
> question.
>
> What, if anything is beyond death? Sounds
> courageous to be willing to get the answer sooner
> than wait a few more decades.

Phazer, Why talk like this, all you have in life is one ultimate question? Uhh.. isn'ts that like obsessed with death rather than life? (Isn't really doesn'ts really have plural)

Date: October 16, 2020 01:47PM

I have plenty of life to live.

For whatever reason Tom didn and was done with his human simulation.

So he now has his answer.

Whether that understanding of that final computation registered is anyone's guess.

Some folks have lived all they need at their 60s. If you retire at 44 and have plenty of retirement before the body goes to hell in 70s and 80s or god forbid even earlier.

I know folks that were done at 81 but keep on living but scared to take action bc they think they will go to hell for suicide.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 02:19PM

>>Anyone can sling allegations...

You've proved that one, fersher. There's also the matter of "shoot the messenger" tactics... Sadly for you, I shoot back, and my rhetoric is more solid than your misspelled Star Trek moniker.

I just heard back from my original source on Tom's suicide, and more was forthcoming. That person was also grateful I didn't identify them even though it's a board regular and longtime friend I met years ago at several Exmormon Conferences. And here I was feeling guilty for posting under my own byline and not giving appropriate credit...

The additional information was from another "friend" of Kimball's, and it simply corroborated the original story. There were those "in the know," seriously.

I said I was shocked. how do you think I should've reacted?

Date: October 16, 2020 02:30PM

Link to abuse allegation?
Not a link to the word in a headline.
Police report?
Indictment?

Tom might of been able to beat it.

Will never know.

RIP Tom wherever that is besides the obvious oven or dirt plot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.