Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Schopenhauer's Coat ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:56AM

As the late great philosopher and Masonic illuminatus Louis Armstrong once said, "If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know."

What is Utah jazz doctrine this month is not what was jazz doctrine last month. The concerts have been reduced from three hours to two, and even to none under localized plague restrictions. Early church leaders may have condemned Jazz as "Devil Music", but polyphonic polygamy is condemned in today's church.

Conceptualized as a form of Jazz, Mormonism is a free form improv dependent on current social circumstances and band preferences. Jazz, like rock and roll, or Mormonism, is a name and concept contiguous with the sexual act, in this case Joseph Smith's "jelly roll" and Boyd K. Packer's "little factory".

Today's jazz criticism always encourages one kind of diversity or another, that is, except when it comes to differences of opinion with the band leaders. It supports the idea of individual direction unless that direction provides another point of view on what is valuable in the mission, what its definition is, and which of today's musicians should be celebrated.

As RFM board poster, Rocket Scientist says:

'I taught the Gospel Doctrine class for many years and as an experiment, I brought John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" to class one Sunday. I played part of the opening track and asked for opinions of the music. Everyone thought it was "of the devil." Then I read Coltrane's poem that was part of the album without telling the class that it was from the same artist. They thought the writer was a man of God. When I told them it was the same person, most were shocked. The lesson that day: open your minds to culture outside of the church. Unfortunately, it went over their heads.'

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2034935,2035203#msg-2035203

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 10:25AM

This reminds me of my efforts to encourage women to "Free your Breasts!" I had cards printed, and everything...

Maybe someday people will understand the power and wisdom of becoming unshackled.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 01:27PM

Unfortunately, it went over their heads.'
As do most thngs not originating on S. Temple

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 02:44PM

As Aunt June once said, "If you can't buy it at Deseret Book, I don't want to know about it!"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 05:44PM

Didn't Aunt June starve to death?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 08:16PM

Dead she is but she did feast on the word.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 08:21PM

Even the word of God.

*As conveyed to mortals by Deseret Book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.