Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 02:42PM

With a special heads up to our beloved Lot's Wife, of course!

So much wit and wisdom. One of my favorites: "The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

Take a few minutes to enhance your recovery and poke around this trove of Wilde quotes:

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/oscar-wilde-quotes

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 02:53PM

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Apropos for our season of COVID

This one made me go awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - tres romantique:

"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:21PM

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Interesting that you picked that one out. Just last night I was reading an interview with a film director,Brandon Cronenberg, and he said, "I don't mind interviews, but obviously neither of us are behaving like people right now. We would not be talking like this if we met at a bar. We're *performing* ourselves."

Made me think how many, especially Mormons, "perform' themselves. That is what the facade is all about. Social media does the same for us--functions as a mask. And what a performance we end up giving sometimes!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:24PM

Funny how people have no complaints about their invisible masks that they got used to wearing growing up. The masks for a virus are much more odious than the masks of malleability and machinations. But both kinds of masks are worn from the pressures felt from human societies.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 05:43PM

I once visited Oxford and went out of my way to stay in Wilde's old rooms at the Old Parsonage, which is now a hotel. Yes, I am a fan.

He was a man of great intellect and greater wit as well as the target of homophobic society and law. He bore some responsibility for that; he chose to challenge his tormentors knowing full well that he would lose. A cynic, certainly, but one who thought taking a stand on moral matters was important.

on a more bathetic level, I often wonder if Wilde was not the model for the gay character in that hauntingly insightful film, The Talented Mr. Ripley. And that brings us back, with Matt Damon, to caffiend's rough and cultured town.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:28PM

I stayed in a house in New Hope where Aaron Burr hid out. I. Win.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:34PM

You can have Burr. I'll stick with Wilde.

Date: October 16, 2020 06:37PM

:D

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 12:40AM

I spent the night once in the Tower of London with the ghost of Anne Boleyn and numerous other famous ghosts. Does that count?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 01:01AM

I am Pancho Villa!

As well as Groucho Marx, on the first Sunday of each month.

Date: October 17, 2020 11:07AM

Date: October 16, 2020 11:53PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:00PM

Love this book. Still haunts me...

“Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty. There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Date: October 16, 2020 06:12PM

Seriously? No one posted this?

https://vimeo.com/341273202

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:33PM

There is only one thing in the world worse than posting links to Python sketches and that is not posting links to Python sketches.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 06:38PM by ookami.

Date: October 16, 2020 06:38PM

YES!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 06:31PM

As he lay dying at L'Hotel in Paris, Oscar Wilde's last words were reportedly “This wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. Either it goes or I do.”

The wall paper is still there.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 16, 2020 07:27PM

he looked so handsome ~

thirteen point five inches tall ~

gold plated statue ~

Date: October 16, 2020 08:35PM

I wonder what Wilde thought about that!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 03:09PM

Oscar Wilde was to give a lecture at the opera house in remote Leadville. The local miners thought it would be fun to invite him to tour the inner workings of their mine and get him drunk. He out-drank the miners, some say operated the lift back up, and continued to deliver his scheduled lecture at the opera house.

The next day he visited another mine.

He later lectured: "From Salt Lake City one travels over the great plains of Colorado and up the Rocky Mountains, on the top of which is Leadville, the richest city in the world. It has also got the reputation of being the roughest, and every man carries a revolver. I was told that if I went there they would be sure to shoot me or my travelling manager. I wrote and told them that nothing that they could do to my travelling manager would intimidate me.

They are miners — men working in metals, so I lectured to them on the Ethics of Art. I read them passages from the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini and they seemed much delighted. I was reproved by my hearers for not having brought him with me."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 04:56AM

"Be Yourself. Everybody Else Is Already Taken."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.