Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 09:23PM

The missionaries were messaging my sister apparently and she came to me and asked for my current phone number. (ಥ_ಥ)

I feel like someone walked over my grave. At least it wasn't the SP or BP.

I laughed and told her 'no'. "I'm not interested in going to church."

"They just want to get to know you, that's all."

"No. They're missionaries. They want to get me to go to church."

For now, I have successfully sidestepped. Plus, I do not ever answer the phone for numbers that aren't in my contacts, so, it wouldn't have been terrible if they get their hands on it.

As someone in the closet with exmo status, what do you recommend as good strategies and stuff to say when folks try to get you to come back to church or talk and hang out? Or god forbid, the thinly veiled, "just wanna get to know ya" schtick?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 09:46PM

Just mention the Internet is killing em! Be enthusiast and excited about it all.. There are plenty of perfectly reasonable things to properly do in response but nay, not a one will Mormonism or the LDS organization seek or pursue earnestly.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 10:14PM

I think "Not interested" is a perfectly fine response. You don't owe anyone an explanation or your time.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 10:36PM

Give them your number; 666-Get-fckd.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 17, 2020 10:47PM

1-800-EAT-SHIT

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 12:53AM

One of the many features I love about both our cell phones and our land line is that it shows who is calling. If that identification is blocked, we simply don't answer. Basically, we don't answer if it is anybody we don't know or don't want to deal with. I ADORE caller ID!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 01:58AM

Yeah, it's rare that I pick up a call from a number that I can't identify. I figure if it's urgent they can leave a message.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 09:20AM

I go even one step further. I don't answer most phone calls from numbers I don't recognize. Then I put in my outgoing message, telling everyone that I never check my voice-mail, so please do not leave a voice message because I won't get any message they may leave. I tell everyone in my voice message who I don't answer their call, to text me with who they are and the purpose of their call. So for a stranger to reach me, they have to listen to my outgoing message and follow the instructions found there. If they actually do that, they know they will be screened and that I probably won't return their call unless it really is someone who knows me and that knows that I'll want to hear from them. This gets rid of all of the robo-calls and phone solicitors without inconveniencing me.

Also, if you resign your church membership, the missionaries won't contact you even if someone does give them your number. They're not allowed to work with former members without the local Bishop's permission. So if you resign and even if you contacted them and wanted to be baptized afterward, they couldn't work with you without the local Bishop's permission. And they certainly won't pursue you. So the key is to resign. If you don't resign, you deserve any harassment they give you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 09:27AM by azsteve.

Date: October 25, 2020 09:27AM

Can't resign. Nobody knows I'm even exmo. Not all of us have the privilege of being open and free of any consequences. Some of us have big Mormon families and people who depend on us to keep the family together.

I'm glad that, like the church, you'd put me getting harassed on my shoulders as something I deserve.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 01:41AM

Tell her that unlike Joseph Smith, you're not interested in hanging out with teenagers.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 01:53AM

Lol

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 02:55PM

I gave them my fax number.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 06:13PM

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 06:14PM by tumwater.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 07:03PM

The number to local Taco Bell or portapotty rental place works well too.

I told a covert the church origins story is bogus. You can prove some aspects of that by research the book of Abraham translation being a complete fraud. If that was bogus work backwards to what else was a lie. Then the church will make more sense of being just a club muddled with BS.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 22, 2020 01:40AM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The number to local Taco Bell or portapotty rental
> place works well too.
>
Neat idea. I'm going to keep the number of my CongressPersonWomanMember in my phone bank, for just such occasions.

She's a member of "the Squad!"

Date: October 25, 2020 09:31AM

Posting here is like posting on 4chan sometimes. It's not so much a community but just a place to expect to get trolled.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.