Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 02:49PM

And then when you finished doing the Wahtoosie, the next song might be The Peppermint Twist!

But the Beatles had not yet shown up.

I guess you had to be there: 1962!!!! YAH!

According to YouTube, I'm listening to the best songs of 1962. That's the year I graduated from high school. I'm looking forward to the 60th reunion. Not that I'm aware of one being planned, much less that I'd attend...I would just like to be alive in 2022.

Being alive is the most fun I've ever had. I recommend it to all my friends.

1962 is supposedly a landmark year for me, although nothing of any real note happened, which may be dismissive of HS graduation, but the oldsters here will probably confirm that what went on in high school doesn't really amount to much when the years start piling on.

I'm gonna muse 'bout it: What years were landmarks? Or maybe not having a particular year stand out just means I'm a mediocre person? But it won't mean I'll love myself any less.

Got any thoughts about the person you were in high school versus the person you are now? And a song from your past that still has some meaning attached to it?

Here's one of mine, although it's from 1963, which is when my high school crush dumped me when we got home from Freshman year in college, me at the UofU and her at UofWashington. Ain't young love a kick in the ass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuZ0JWA6n4

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 02:51PM

?

Date: October 18, 2020 02:53PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ?

Yeah, no trains...

Sorry.

Posted by: An Inquiring Mind ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 03:33PM

...in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2npNkOtdZk

Pony tails! Tight cashmere sweaters! Twirling full skirts! Petticoats!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 07:53PM

Although I am a couple years less old than EOD, there are similar reflections on the past I seem to share...

Looking back, high school was the last time I felt like I was an equal participant in the group.

I graduated in 1969. The rift that was the VietNam war hung over young men’s heads and caused great angst and moral upset. As it turns out, going to a college that experienced war protest turmoil on a daily basis was hard to deal with, so I took the advice of a co-worker/girlfriend and ran away to BYU. It was a time-travel experience to more innocent times and seemed far from the protest and fighting about war/politics.

The anachronistic nature of BYU life was disruptive to my Southern California surfer ethos. I was out of my element and during my entire collegiate life I felt like I was in the wrong place and wrong time. I was absolutely adamant about one thing...a mission. My mind said NO. Never went. Imagine the reaction of fellow zoobs.

After graduation, I went back home to SoCal hoping to get back into sync with others socially. Try as I might, I never got caught up and lagged in social skills and I was behind the curve, which is opposite of my BYU sense of being more savvy and ‘of the world’ than the members of the Cougar Nation.

Looking back, the path I took has been an endless feeling of not being in the right place with people who were like me and shared similar interests and values.

Covid is underscoring this “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” feeling. My observations and impressions run counter to the popular narrative.

It appears that I have reached an age where I am imprinted with my persona so deeply that I don’t really possess the strength and fortitude to keep trying to find ‘my people’ and my world.

I will pass this life without ever finding out who I am or what my purpose was...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 03:37PM

Insightfully beautiful. Hit close to home for me. Especially this,

"Try as I might, I never got caught up and lagged in social skills and I was behind the curve . . ."

That is exactly what BYU and my entire upbringing did to me. I moved to SoCal and that helped but it took me ten years to figure out how to even start to catch up. My nickname for my self has always been "late bloomer."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 11:27PM

Papa Oom Mow Mow!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 18, 2020 11:42PM

Russell M Cryptkeeper was 38 in 1962. I hope you don’t feel too old.

Posted by: BYU Grad ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 10:37AM

OH my 1961 & 1963

I was a romantic. After graduating in 1961 I Immediately started college....age 17.

My high school boyfriend had moved on....married & a Dad.

I met my forever husband at BYU Hawaii....

We married in 1963.

Luckily we stopped believing in TSCC.

Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny without lyrics was always
a heart pounder.

Oldie
loves Oldies

Yes before Elvis....and before the Beatles

Date: October 19, 2020 02:08PM

Not before Elvis... A bunch of us went after school one day to see Elvis in Love Me Tender... I think that was in 7th grade, circa 1957...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 03:51PM

Graduated 1968. So many songs there are to roll back time.

For me, I have to say Petula Clark's "I Know a Place," and "Downtown." Made me feel that there was more. I was already so hungry for something more. I couldn't believe the world was a horrible evil place. It looked so good between the slats of my cage.

The Andy Williams song is beautiful, EOD, and holds up. So many don't. I am not an oldies person. But I am totally with BYU Grad---Santo and Johnny. Have three of their on my iPod mixed in with all my new stuff and they are dreamy. Sleepwalk, Tear Drop, and Portofino.

The pure joy of realizing that church was a lie! 1973. Also the year I toured Europe with the BYU Folk Dance Team. What a landmark year. Then 1977. Loading everything in a U-Haul behind my old Galaxie and heading for SoCal with nowhere to stay and $200. Go for it while you are young, kids!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 08:05PM

Girl from Ipanema.

I grew up on three chord rock, and Kingston Trio folk. The Beatles threw in some inscrutable chords, but then came bossa nova, and every last chord was inscrutable. It was like a whole new world I never knew existed.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 08:15PM

Just imagine how impoverished our community would be if BoJ had succumbed to Helo Pinheiro's charms lo these many decades ago. I mean, how much has EOD achieved since falling for Saucie?

https://www.readersdigest.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/real-girl-from-ipanema-now-1024x768.jpg

https://www.today.com/news/brazilian-beauty-meet-woman-who-inspired-girl-ipanema-t101592

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.