Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: V. ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 10:37AM

Personally I am stuck in the 80s. Music and culture-wise. I love movies and tv-series like Hollywood Cop, Ghostbusters, Police Academy, The Empire of the Sun, The Goonies. Miami Vice, Magnum PI. Music? The romantic-pop from the UK, italian Italo, and hard rock like Whitesnake and the swedish band Europe.

I can not really say that I enjoy much of todays culture. The last things that really created memories in my mind was the Grunge-era in the early 90s. Still love Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

The time after the 80s and the 90s that was just a mess in my life. Locked inside the herd-mind, afraid of anything and afraid of my own shadow. I am glad I still got the 80s.

Do you feel that you have nostalgia in your life, from the life in the before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 12:00PM

Living "in" an era has to be formative. My parents' passage through the 1960s was nothing like mine, and it's not much of a chore to comprehend why.

My mom was 20 years old at the start of the Depression; my dad was 27. So the Roaring 20s probably had an effect on him that it did not on my mom. And the Depression had to have made an impression. But if so, it wasn't the impression the popular press likes to put forward, about penny-pinching tightwads.

Going on a mission certainly puts a slant on an era that the vast majority of human beings don't get. Two years taken from the 60's decade... How would I be able to tell the effect it had?

If I had to pick a decade that had a more lasting effect than any other, I think I'd have to take the 1950s. Not because of any particular memories, but because that had to be the decade during which my personality was formed. Blame it (me) on Warner Bros. cartoons and unbridled freedom.

I think the only nostalgia that I'm capable of would be nostalgia for being alive, and that is a capacity that may not exist.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 12:17AM

I wonder how this Covid era is going to affect kids.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 29, 2020 12:19PM

Agreed. My son is currently 7. Covid is definitely going to be a massive subcurrent in how he grows up. Of course, the positives and negatives are still to be determined.

Date: October 23, 2020 12:37PM

It just occurred to me:

During what has to be considered my time as a warmer-than-I-am-now-commodity, the notion that "The container does not reflect on its content" was not really a force in my life.

Such is the price of conformity.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 12:13PM

Date: 10/24/2020 12:11PM

And that is exactly why the beauty product industry took in 49.2 Billion in 2019. Containers need a lot of stuff to keep up with the Kardashians.

I could write a book or two on these words you have left for us.
Wish I had known then . . . We finally get there when our x-ray vision is no longer useful. Still, no choice over who you crave. Nice to be surprised sometimes at yourself.

These days I see in the kids* around me all that they don't see in each other as iPhones aren't windows to the soul----yet.

*Kids is anyone under 40 to me now.

Date: October 24, 2020 12:26PM

1973 I was in Edinburgh for Scottish Tattoo. Full moon, sitting up in the grounds of the castle. A lone piper started and by the end there were what seemed like a thousand pipes everywhere. No words can describe that night.

That was my luck to be on the BYU Folk Dance team of all things.

Date: October 24, 2020 01:06PM

This was supposed to be to Nightingale's post. Oh well.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 01:24PM

It's OK. I see you D&D. Oh, yes. Sublime. I love Edinburgh. The pipes are an amazing bonus. Primal.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 01:50PM

To me the term nostalgia suggest some kind of longing for. The greatest single event that shaped my life and outlook was WW2 and the years of shortages that followed. I look back on it not with any sense of longing for it but often sure in the belief that any bad events or times cannot be worse.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 03:32PM

Music Show: Scotland - When the Pipers Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBqgGDlVw74

Audience comment:

"One of the most magnificent experiences of my life was attending the 60th anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands as a Canadian soldier in a highland regiment. One comment I heard from a person who lived through the war will always stick with me and ring true - "The pipes are the sound of freedom...when we heard the bagpipes play, we knew we were free. Even now it brings a tear to my eye to think of it."

-----

This comment brought a few tears to me today. I love the pipes too. We had them in our house often when we were kids (parents' guests played). Loud indoors but invigorating. And a nice memory for me. I still laugh that our parents would send us to bed but the pipers would keep on playing. Yeah, sure, sleep-inducing. Not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 03:33PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 01:57PM

Yes that was when I was activly performing character parts in musical comedies

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 01:58PM

I am stuck in the 70s and 80s. I would not want to be a kid again, but I miss those days.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 03:43PM

I'm nostalgic about being young and healthy. Being able to walk without a walker. Being able to hike and ski and swim and fish streams. Being able to HAVE SEX!!! So, yes, besides listening to country music, I listen to 70s & 80s music.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 03:44PM

I used to be a regular moviegoer for a long while, then since 2009, almost nothing has clicked with me.

I told my husband yesterday, that I want to kick back and watch something "new" on TV, but almost nothing recent is in any way interesting - and I'm not really up for getting it off Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. Like wanting something "new" from the 1980s or 1990s in its original context.

I've lost interest in popular culture, and I assume because I'm growing older, it all seems so vapid.

We've taken up learning another language, so we can visit some of his ancestors' homelands when this has all passed. It's not as enjoyable as trying to recapture the past, but it gets us through our evenings.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 03:45PM by Tyson Dunn.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 04:18PM

You wish you could go back to 1982

Posted by: Adamal ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 04:55PM

I am still stuck in the 80s a little bit for sure. Been playing the original Nintendo almost every night the past week. Contra baby oh yea. Minus the religion the 80s and early 90s were the best period of my life. I still listen to 80s metal on a consistent basis.

Date: October 24, 2020 12:39AM

Musically, I am unapologetically stuck in the '70s to early aughts. My hair is stuck in the '80s in volume, although not in pigment. I like to guesstimate the age of a filmmaker, and their budget, based on the soundtrack. Sometimes I shed a tear for a broke artist who sold their song to a crap show.

I like the music in these show/movies:

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2. This is one of the best intros ever: https://youtu.be/4UUIC4wC4WU

The Boys - they shelled out serious dough.

Utopia - JJ Fad!

Euphoria!!!!

West World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 01:29AM by Beth.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 01:26AM

Yes, sort of, so I started watching Cobra Kai on Netflix.

It's got the right amount of corniness, reminders of The Karate Kid, but it's also pretty good. (I won't give out spoilers, though I'm really enjoying the protagonist of this series.)

Bummer that I got through seasons 1 and 2 last week, and season 3 won't be out for a few more months....

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 02:03AM

Lol, it is surprisingly good! In a kitschy familiar way

Date: October 24, 2020 12:22PM

The 50's and 60's still pull my heart strings. Hot diggity, dog diggity, Boom! What you do to me. But only a little stuck there.

My life began in the seventies. The music, the movies bring no nostalgia, however. Dancing--Studio One--everbody did Disco, even Ethel Merman. I have never felt so free as reaching for the rafters to the pounding. It was the seventies when I hit SoCal and landed in the middle of Everything. Found what I didn't know I was looking for. There is a word for that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 01:42PM

Yeah, the 60's, before I became a free salesperson for ChurchCo; I would have stayed in my occupation, prob not gone to college or met the mother of my children.

O well...

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 02:08PM

I am still a huge fan of the 80's. It was a magical time for me. I hear you on the "Modern music sucks" front too. It seems we live in an era of perfect computer generated pop music and I'm sick of it.

I met my wife 17 years ago when we both joined an 80's new-wave cover band. We had so much fun gigging around San Francisco and I would not trade those memories for anything. We opened for many of the bands i used to worship back in the day; Berlin, the Fixx, English Beat, Real Life, and Gene Loves Jezebel.

I must have seen Howard Jones 7 times in the past few years. I love that man.

Here's to the 80's (music at least)!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 02:16PM

There was a girl.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 06:55PM

I bet you like Perry Como too.

Date: October 25, 2020 07:40PM

Remember when Perry Como was on the Lawrence Welk Show and sang a song, accompanied by Myron Floren! Goosebumps just thinking about it!!!!!!

Date: October 25, 2020 08:41PM

Accordions! I looked up Myron Floren. You guys had all the fun. . .

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 10:22PM

I find myself not necessarily nostalgic, but those times are on my mind more and more... I wish I would go back to the fall of 82...just for a few minutes...and tell myself that all the things I was terrified of, were all the wrong things.

Date: October 25, 2020 10:35PM

Isn't that the truth. The things we were taught to fear. . .

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 10:53PM

The 80s weren't particularly kind to me. Damn near went broke farming after a 4 year drought.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 12:41PM

The 1880s, and the 2080s, but the 1980s?

I try not to put myself in a shell.

I like it all.

However, I don't like all of it.

I pick and choose the best of what suits me and is representative of how I feel and what I like.

You don't have to pick and choose? Just find what suits you.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 01:37PM

'65 was a good year for me, living in Richmond Beach where I went to elementary school (after being away for years), earning about $2,000 a month!
My occupation didn't allow for any scheduling however, so social life was tough...

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: October 27, 2020 03:58PM

I'm partial to Windows NT

Date: October 28, 2020 01:05AM

I finally watched "Almost Famous."

The soundtrack is a '70s dream, especially for prog rock lovers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 12:07PM by Beth.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 04:51AM

I was watching The 70’s Show while on the elliptical last night. There was a hilarious episode that had 1980’s “future” vignette in which Fez was performing a lot of 80s tunes at their reunion, complete with Flock of Seagulls hair!

I came of age in the 80s. A few years ago I had an 80s Greatest Hits CD. Some of the songs had really stood the test of time, and many others ... not so much.

Eddie Van Halen died recently. I worshipped him in the 80s.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 08:05PM

Nostalgia literally means the pain from an old wound.

Don Draper explains it better than I can...

https://youtu.be/suRDUFpsHus

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 29, 2020 12:27PM

Definitely stuck in the '80's. Her name was Tracy. I shoulda married her but I screwed up.

However, she ended up marrying a guy who went in to the NFL and has 2 Super Bowl rings, and they have four beautiful kids. So I think she did quite well for herself, instead of a lunk like me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.