Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 02:55PM

didn't want to believe it, but its true. Moreso by family than the fake religion. I can see it a little more clearly from a distance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 11:24PM

Yeah, parents usually think of it as raising you right, but it's still manipulation even if they believe it's for a good purpose.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:23AM

I don't think you can divorce the religion from the actions of your parents. The church guilts them into being manipulative, controlling and bigoted people.

They can't allow their children to choose their own path, because that counts as a failure in the home. Its a reflection upon their own short-comings. They are told by the church to gently prod, give little reminders, etc. They will set rules that are based solely on their own prescribed morality, ie. No dating non-members, no drinking tea or coffee, even if that's not how YOU feel.

As far as being bigots. If they are TBM, they have to be. If you tolerate sin, ie. allow gay people to live their lives without judgement, then you are at the top of a slipper slope that leads into a pit of sin.

If the church would lighten up, the members would too. They are kept in line by constant guilt trips in Gen. Conference, judgy neighbors, and eternal threats of punishment and separation.

Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 05:41PM

I see.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.