Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 02:35PM

On March 10, 1844, Smith prophesied that Christ would not return in any year in which a rainbow occurred. ( History of the Church 6:249-254, Teachings of the Prophet JS p 341)

Of course, a rainbow occurs somewhere every year, whenever there is sunshine after a rain, and Christ has not yet returned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 02:52PM

It is conceivable that there is ALWAYS a rainbow somewhere on the 196.9 million square miles of Earth's surface.

It's like saying that Joe Hova won't have his Second Coming-out party during a calendar year during which someone farts. But at least he won't have to worry about hiring a mariachi band! They're all over!

And how presumptuous is it that we assume a solar day or a solar year means anything to Elohim?

Sure, maybe Joe Hova has fond memories of the Jewish definition of seven day weeks, and lunar months, and days identified by being able to see threads, but they can't hold sway in the eternities!

Sometimes I have suspicions that mormonism is a made-up religion!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:11PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes I have suspicions that mormonism is a
> made-up religion!

You know, I’m starting to think the same thing! ;)

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:15PM

He could always return at 00:00:01 in the first time zone past the international dateline, so it would still be dark and no chance of a rainbow yet in that day. ;)

But I agree it’s presumptuous to think that Elohim would be constrained by time as we know it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:10PM

I prevent christ from returning by going outside and using my garden hose to spray water toward sunlight thereby creating rainbows.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:24PM

Dave the Atheist, serving Satan since 1959 (my guess).

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 03:34PM

Onery old Oaks says, "Rainbow? You mean like a rainbow flag? Gay agenda! - No! No! No!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 04:04PM

How long will I tarry with you?

I Noticed that the Blessed OP his faith firmly in The Lard:

- Didn't mention JS's accurate & timely prediction of the U.S. Civil War starting in S.Carolina;

- His words of divine inspiration regarding tobacco & hot drinks

- His 'bringing forth' of the Book of Mormon

- His brilliant financial skills

- Re-instituting Celestial Marriage along with the Never-Changing Endowment...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 04:06PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Jesus of Orem ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 04:09PM

From McConkie's 1982 "The Millennial Messiah" (pp. 21-22):

"And the signs in heaven above are like nothing man has ever seen. Blood is everywhere; fire and vapors of smoke fill the atmospheric heavens. No man has seen a rainbow this year. And that great sign in the eastern sky – does it portend an invasion from outer space? Or is a collision with another planet imminent?"

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 12:23AM

“ does it portend an invasion from outer space?”

Alas, Bruce died before the great and terrible day of probing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 12:39AM

I'm not sure about that. Extensive probing would explain a good many things.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 04:32PM

JS's claim is internally consistent, as long as you live in a hermetically sealed universe, totally cut off from reality.

God, after having drowned all the kids, promised he wouldn't do that again, and gave the rainbow as a sign. It's a goofy explanation for how rainbows came to be, but remember, we are assuming the story is totally cut off from reality.

OK, so all the kids are not going to be destroyed again, until the Second Coming. First the Noah thing, then Jeebus makes a complete mess of the Americas before he shows up to "bless" the survivors during the three days he was in the grave in Israel, which was actually only 2 days, but who counts....), and then he is going to make another mess of thing before the Second Coming.

Jeez, worst house guest ever.

Anyway, so no rainbow the year he comes back because the "Non-Destruction Clause" in his contract gets suspended that year.

The story is internally consistent. It is not, however, reality-consistent. Rainbows occur because of the refraction index of water droplets, and occur whenever there are droplets in the air and sunshine hitting the droplets. If you are in the right place you see the rainbow, but it is there whether anyone sees it or not.

No gods involved, in either making or stopping rainbows.

The story about there being no death in the world prior to the fall of Adam suffers from the same fatal flaw. Without the fall there would be no need for redemption and resurrection, so Adam had to bring death into the world.

Internally consistent story, except the fossil record, not to mention basic biology, shows that death of organisms has been around as long as life has existed.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 04:53PM

only extended to the length of his priesthood powered pecker.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 06:44PM

Isn't this one of the silliest left overs of Mormonism that still affect me? Almost every time when I water the garden, flowers, lawn etc. I see a rainbow and it makes me remember this nutty prophecy. I guess I will live with it to the end. It is too damn ridiculous to mention to friends. It brings out the expression on their faces as to 'how could of you of believed this nonsense'?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 12:45PM

It didn't fail because the rainbow didn't fail.

The rainbow will never fail.

Joseph Smith fail before he could smell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.