Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 04:50PM

If you have any interest in the scam of Rod Meldrum's that has sucked in Glen Beck, Tim Ballard, several Osmonds you might like to see the DNA dressing down of the dupes by Simon Southerton:

https://simonsoutherton.com/how-kennewick-man-has-impaled-the-heartland-scam/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 05:13PM

Isn't Meldrum's fraudulent "Heartland movement" just a variation of American exceptionalism ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 05:56PM

"I Am The Face of a Lamanite"

For a mere $59.99 you can own my personally autographed 3-page tome proving that Father Lehi liked Nephi best. Please specify whether you want my cover photo winking or not. Please add $9.99 if you want my left eye winking! No extra charge for a right eye winking photo.

Critics are unified:

"Awwwww! Make it stop!!"

"Some faces even a mother couldn't love..."

"How can he stand to shave? Probably does it in the dark."

"Hideous! God certainly damned him!

Don't delay! Call 1-900-LAM-ANITE

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 07:59PM

EOD: “I have your Lamanite DNA right here!”

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 09:32PM

TL;DR I well remember when Simon came to one of the exmo conferences I attended. His presentation was great.

I miss these conferences. I know they are a big production to pull off and Sue did such a wonderful job for years bringing them to Salt Lake.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 11:14PM

How big is your backyard?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 26, 2020 09:51AM

Such a good Mormon, this Meldrum. He's even gone BKP one better-- not only finding some truths to not be very useful, but finding some truths absolutely a must to ignore.

Fail to ignore certain truths and your career goes down hill, your followers no longer feed your ego, and you end up a joke to everyone instead of just a joke to actual forensic scientists.

Where on earth would we be without the Simon's of the world? I hate to think the answer is still in the pews at the local ward.

There are quite a few people in this world who find that so many people are sheep that if you never admit to being wrong and don't mind bald faced lying in the face of truth, that you can do very well indeed.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 03:52PM

The great Danish geneticist, Eske Willerslev, was the individual who sequenced Kennewick Man's mtDNA. I had the pleasure of e-mailing Simon with this information along with some other blatherings from Rodney Meldrum. Earlier he'd expressed hope to me KM would be shown to belong to haplogroup X2a; this was on my "wish list" as well, and it proved to be true.

Meldrum is essentially a "young Earth Creationist," and I remember "crashing" one of his dog-and-pony shows here in SLC (Sandy, actually), He's strictly a salesman with his own agenda.

The story of Kennewick Man is convoluted and was complicated by politics and initial reports "he looked Caucasian"; as Simon notes, he was conclusively proven to be Native American...

In addition to KM, the details of the "Anzick Clovis Child" are interesting and informative. That individual was shown to belong to a population that was "ancestral to all Native Americans."

'Nuff,
SLC

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 04:03PM

> the details of the "Anzick
> Clovis Child" are interesting and informative.
> That individual was shown to belong to a
> population that was "ancestral to all Native
> Americans."

No, the Anzick boy descended from a population that was ancestral to all Native Americans. Neither he nor his Clovis population were ancestral to all Native Americans.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 04:33PM

Re-read what I said. To wit...

>>That individual was shown to belong to a population that was "ancestral to all Native Americans."

And you've done the Anzick Clovis Child's genealogy, right?

What my statement says is this population's DNA is found in today's Native Americans. Are you trying to say the child didn't belong to this population?

Your understanding of DNA science is sadly lacking, and your use of semantics is bizarre.

Date: October 28, 2020 05:33PM

You said that the Anzick Child "was shown to belong to a population that was 'ancestral to all Native Americans.'" That is false.

We've done this many times before. The fact is that the Child descended from an ancestral population in Beringia. But that dispersion began thousands of years before your beloved Clovis Civilization was formed. So when he lived, there were already many colonies all over the Americas, each of which had inherited Beringian DNA that was constantly undergoing natural mutations. So no, the Anzick child's DNA is assuredly NOT in every Native American.

That's why we know who the original Americans were and when and where they migrated: we follow their genetic mutations. The Anzick Child represented a branch of that original family but his DNA was no more "original" than any of the other branches' and his versions of the foundational genes are not universal in the Americas.

It's unfortunate that you don't understand that. It indicates that although you are now backing away from Clovis First, you still haven't worked out the genetic implications of that belated recognition of reality. I'd recommend the work of David Reich, but that's not an easy read and his Youtube presentations don't focus much on the Americas.

So I guess we're stuck with your usual bombast, poor substitute for reason that it is.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 08:53PM

I have read Reich's 'Who We Are And How We Got Here' cover to cover three times. I am so glad I am alive for the start of the great DNA sorting out. It rivets me. (As does the dawn of exoplanet cataloging.)

Date: October 28, 2020 09:18PM

I read it several times, too. And I go back to it to review some of the things he had to say. He does untangle Native American origins and vindicates a lot of the recent pre-Clovis archaeology in the process. The surprising insights into the back migration to the Yenisei River is fascinating as well.

I sincerely hope Reich does follow-up volumes although he's probably reluctant to spend time on such popular books when he and his team are daily achieving breakthroughs in the lab.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 29, 2020 09:47AM

I think you might have missed the important part of the Cabbie's post:

"I had the pleasure of e-mailing Simon with this information along with some other blatherings from Rodney Meldrum."

He emailed.

Date: October 28, 2020 05:45PM

Recall also RichardtheBad's exasperation when you last attempted to defend your risible position.

"Cabbie, you've already acknowledged the existence of pre-clovis. I'm confused."

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2338030,2338574#msg-2338574

When confronted with overwhelming evidence, a wise man changes adapts. Only a fool with a "remedial schoolteacher voice" doubles down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 05:47PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 28, 2020 04:38PM

Bravo, Simon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.