Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: November 10, 2020 08:08PM

I guess it's a social media platform. Did the Morg tell members to swap Facebook for Parler? Is there some kind of mass exit that's supposed to be happening?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2020 10:12PM

I heard it being discussed on KFI today and all I got out of it was that it was Twitter/Instagram/Facebook with no editing, filtering, oversight or censoring.

So an appeal to be real...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 03:16PM

So this is why my right-wing old friend is into Parler or is it Parlor?

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 01:11AM

A Facebook friend perfectly described it as a right wing echo chamber circle jerk.

Posted by: LGPA ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 12:59PM

ApostNate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Facebook friend perfectly described it as a
> right wing echo chamber circle jerk.

What's to stop other people from using it? Anything would be an improvement on Facebook just now which is little more than an info gathering tool.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 03:27PM

Yes.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 09:46AM

Another new Social Media platform is Liker.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 09:55AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 09:56AM by anybody.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 11:22AM

https://legal.parler.com/documents/guidelines.pdf

Basically, you police your own feed, so that you don't have to see or read things you don't want to.

I plan to exclude anything having to do with humans, humanity, human values or of human origin.

So, yeah, just me and all the aliens hiding out here from galactic process servers.

Date: November 11, 2020 12:28PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> https://legal.parler.com/documents/guidelines.pdf
>
>
> Basically, you police your own feed, so that you
> don't have to see or read things you don't want
> to.

So basically like regular social media which is an echo chamber. That's why politics is so polarized now and we see so many weird fringe ideas being presented as mainstream... When almost no one held those same views five years ago and they are unscientific.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 02:26PM

I have certain friends that share alarmist posts that state that Facebook restricts patriotic posts are those that are religious in nature. It's so ridiculous. But some people will believe anything.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 03:20PM

Hundreds of thousands and potentially millions more conservative Americans will be leaving Facebook and Twitter because everything they post there is being censored these days.

A lot of what they’re posting is bullshit, but I don’t like the direction the social media giants have taken. I deleted my Facebook too, but I won’t be going to parlor either.

I want exactly zero extra time and connection with these people.

Date: November 11, 2020 03:23PM

Exactly what did they post on Facebook that was removed? I'm sorry, I simply don't believe a lot of those claims.

You can post political opinions on FB, you can post your religious beliefs, you can post the flag or the pledge, or the support of veterans. I see all of the above on a daily basis. None of it is censored except for what you yourself want to remove from your own feed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 03:28PM by summer.

Date: November 11, 2020 03:55PM

Their usual technique is something called shadow banning. As far as you can see your content is still up there, but it doesn't appear in friends' timelines or is deprioritized. It is one of the cleverest forms of censorship out there, since the victim often doesn't know it is happening.

It has happened to me recently. I posted something on the lockdown and about the election and suddenly my post engagement plummets.

The likes of Facebook and Twitter, Instagram and Youtube etc should be bettered policed on a corporate level as they represent political manipulation. Zuckerberg himself has been very evasive about his motives. I have FB for work reasons. I think it is a pretty vile website and very invasive of privacy.

Date: November 11, 2020 03:56PM

I read up to "victim" and had to spittake.

Date: November 11, 2020 05:39PM

Beth Wrote:
> I read up to "victim" and had to spittake.

Yeah, very funny. :/ Victim is maybe too strong a word, but I'm not exactly weeping into my coffee, I just find it a minor nuisance. It reminds me why it is such an awful platform. I very rarely use Facebook for anything political, and would drop it in a heartbeat if I used it solely for non-business purposes, but it is still completely unacceptable, and if Biden has any decency, he will do what Trump never had the courage to do and hold these social media groups to account.

Anything that can be done to your political opponents, can and will be done to your lot at some stage, if necessary. It won't be a "spittake", when you find you've shared the wrong thing.

It is actually a shame that Parler is being set up as a right wing platform because everyone needs an end to shadow banning, the thought police mentality etc.

Try stepping outside your tribe occasionally... Your mind might broaden. You might want to look up Cambridge Analytica where Facebook was used by RIGHT wing forces to manipulate British politics.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 05:50PM

> if Biden has any decency, he
> will do what Trump never had the courage to do and
> hold these social media groups to account.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but Biden is a far greater threat to the social media companies than Trump was.

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 04:03PM

Could it be that people just didn't have any response to whatever you posted?

Date: November 11, 2020 04:04PM

::snort::

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 05:53PM

There you go, giving an answer that makes sense.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:18PM

ookami Wrote:
> There you go, giving an answer that makes sense.

No, it doesn't "make sense" when it comes to work related messages. A lot of that is not exciting, but we have to arrange Zoom meetings in order to discuss business. I'm not on there to share cat videos and moronic jokes... (I don't actually mind cats, I'm just not on Facebook for that).

I've started using email again a lot more. And text messages. They do get responses, and we get things done. Some of the people have complained to me that they hadn't seen stuff posted on my timeline. The other option is a Facebook group but that isn't feasible - long story.

I'm pretty sick of Facebook to be honest, but it has become a monopoly. I'm not on it by personal preference.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:20PM

It doesn't sound as if Facebook is the right venue for you doing business, not sure that translates to them doing nefarious things.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:25PM

I agree.

I'm assuming there's work email where you can send invites to meetings, get read receipts - stuff like that?

Yes, cats are good :)

Date: November 11, 2020 06:59PM

Beth Wrote:
> I agree.
>
> I'm assuming there's work email where you can send
> invites to meetings, get read receipts - stuff
> like that?
>
> Yes, cats are good :)

Yes, I've started going back to that. I know this stuff is not interesting, but work isn't usually that interesting anyway.

Facebook is just a bad platform for so many reasons... But I get even more suspicious of the thing when it starts messing around with people's accounts for political purposes or telling you what is real and not real. (In many cases it is not clear cut and only one side is presented.)

Political expression is part of a free society. I have a lot of suspicions about this election and how it was conducted, let alone the previous one (which Clinton should have challenged but didn't)... If no one is able to question how a system functions, then that system will get worse. I'm not a fan of Trump, Biden or Clinton, but I should be allowed to have a view.

Date: November 11, 2020 09:06PM

Everyone is allowed a view. But not everyone is allowed to go onto a commercial platform and have absolute rights. It just doesn't work that way.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:34PM

Email or text makes more sense for work communication.

I'm in a couple of union-related private FB groups, and we post whatever we want without any trouble whatsoever (subject to review by the moderators of the group, but as long as you stay reasonably on topic, it will be fine.) If you insist on using FB for work, then make a private, invitation-only group. It will work just fine and is easy to use.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:07PM

devoted Wrote:
> Could it be that people just didn't have any
> response to whatever you posted?

If I post near identical business posts two weeks apart and one gets twenty responses to one and the next gets none, something's changed. Especially when it's to schedule work-related Zoom meetings. I very rarely post political stuff on there, but as soon as I do, it's obvious something has changed. I've cross checked with other people and something odd is going on.

I see the same happening with another acquaintance, except he posts political stuff all the time. I hardly ever get to see his messages on my timeline and he keeps asking me if I do. I haven't changed any settings and nor has he.

Facebook advertizing is much the same, so I'm told. I wouldn't sink money into it. The advertizer gets to see their ad all the time, so they think it's getting out there to the wider pyblic. When in fact it's not. If I visit the LDS website, or even here, I get Mormon ads after I went to them... Kind of the wrong way round.

It's one of the reasons I hate Facebook. I get pestered by continual friend requests from people I've never met (often because we share one or more friends in common), and it shows me posts from people I do know days after they posted them. Total mess. It was the anniversary of the death of a friend's husband, and the post showed up days later... So when I posted a reply it looked as if I didn't care. I knew her husband in his later days, and helped her with his funeral arrangements, and she's always thanked me for that.

I've actually gone back to email. At least when I email people, they get to see it.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:12PM

LGPA Wrote:
> devoted Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Could it be that people just didn't have any
> > response to whatever you posted?
>
> If I post near identical business posts two weeks
> apart and one gets twenty responses to one and the
> next gets none, something's changed.

Yes! The people who engage with your posts either already saw it or don't feel like responding.

<strike>Are you buying ads or are you throwing stuff out there?</strike> Sorry - I should have read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 06:15PM by Beth.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:14PM

Twenty responses is kinda close to zero.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:33PM

Beth Wrote:
> Twenty responses is kinda close to zero.

I'm on there for business purposes, not "like farming". Practically everyone on there is a business colleague, with a few genuine friends thrown in. If I wanted hundreds of likes, I'd be posting videos of "talking" parrots and children falling over, and pictures of tropical sunsets etc... I know one or two people who do that, but that's not what I'm on there for.

Social media turns everything into a pissing contest, but if you're arranging a Zoom meeting which includes maybe 25 people, twenty responses is what I'm after. You can have bigger Zoom meetings, but even that is pushing it, especially as it is a group meeting, not one person talking to everyone else.

I'm not one of these folks who has a thousand friends I've never met. Everyone on there is someone I've met or spoken to at some point. Facebook seems to think otherwise, and keeps suggesting to me friends of friends. Occasionally, someone I went to school with will turn up, but I don't friend them unless we were close. I learnt that the hard way on a previous account... I didn't even recognize their names sometimes.

It's a really horrible format, to be honest. I was on Yahoo groups years ago and web forums and, it used to work a lot better.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:36PM

I almost never respond to work meeting invites. I just show up. Isn't that the point?

Date: November 11, 2020 06:49PM

summer Wrote:
> I almost never respond to work meeting invites. I
> just show up. Isn't that the point?

I can see where you're coming from, but basically we have to have a confirmation from people if they can make the meeting or not. And if they can't then we reschedule or cancel. I don't pretend we all enjoy it or anything, but needs must.

I have been trying to coax some of them off Facebook onto other platforms, but most of them are trapped on there because it's how they keep in touch with family etc.

There is another evil aspect of Facebook I've never mentioned and that's comparison. So much of ir is about who has the best vacations, cutest kids and nicest car/house. And there is an aspect of that which can be very toxic.

Date: November 11, 2020 07:09PM

Facebook being curated is another issue altogether. My friends and I try to keep our posts mostly positive, but if sensitive things need to be discussed one-on-one, well that's what direct messaging is for -- or, good old-fashioned phone calls.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:30PM

Your friends can organically deprioritize your posts by not liking or commenting. They can also put you on snooze for 30 days, which I did to a number of friends leading up to the election. Or, your friends might have simply skipped over your post without comment because it didn't appeal to them for whatever reason. Ever consider this is what happened to you? Not everything is a nefarious plot.

I have a number of Facebook friends whom I like quite well IRL, but when they get unbearable for whatever reason I put them in the 30-day time out.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:43PM

I'm well aware that they can deprioritize people and vice versa, but this is happening with people who contact me regularly through other channels or need to see my messages for business purposes, and it's gotten worse after I posted a message complaining about inconsistencies in lockdown, and Bill Gates' interference with healthcare... Which I regret. One of them keeps asking me whether I saw something or other he posted (usually about golf or whatever) and I have to go onto his timeline to actually see it. I never deprioritized his timeline.

Facebook - and Twitter - do this kind of thing automatically. I don't use Instagram, Snapchat Steemit etc etc and have limited experience with Linkedin and Reddit. They're all pretty bad. I'm amazed Facebook hasn't gone the way of MySpace and ?Bebo.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:51PM

Again, go ahead and create a private FB group for business purposes with you as the moderator. The private groups are super easy to use -- you can either read the posts in your home feed or click on the group site. I check my union groups multiple times per day, and it's never been an issue. Give it a try!

As for your friend, do you really think that FB cares about a golf post? Go to his homepage and like a bunch of his posts. Make sure that you didn't unfollow him by accident.

It could also be a case of a simple glitch. For Pete's sake, Zoom glitches on me multiple times per day. I'm doing a simple screen share with my students, and out it goes. Do you think this is some nefarious plot to disrupt remote learning? Why wouldn't Facebook glitch occasionally as well?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 07:05PM by summer.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 06:52PM

Probably, we who don't respond have never been Fakebook users in the first place, for many reasons, which we have already discussed on this board. Maybe you are a new poster here.

E-mail is more professional, and private, and we have never needed anything else, except Facetime, Skype, Zoom, etc.

If there is no need for Facebook, why invite problems and lies into your life.

Date: November 11, 2020 07:09PM

Facebook is popular. God knows why. It's not even the best social media platform out there. or maybe the worst - Twitter is much more irritating and useless, but a lot of people are on Facebook and insist on going through it. It should have died years ago, and/or been split up like Standard Oil or Ma Bell.

There are a lot of things which have moved to Facebook over the last decade. Even things like my neighborhood group - which again isn't interesting, but talks about things I need to know about.

But a friend's fifteen year old daughter summed it up nicely when she said, "Facebook, isn't that where old people go to fight?". That's about right. I manage to stay out of fights on there but I see it all the time. My first day on Facebook, I saw two people fighting because a woman made a joke about an acquaintance's middle name. That's the level of it.

Date: November 11, 2020 07:18PM

Facebook is what you make of it. I don't engage in "fights" on Facebook because those kinds of people are not on my friends list. You control who you allow or don't allow into your life.

It's been a godsend for me. I'm able to easily keep up with my high school friends, my college friends, my fellow hobby enthusiasts or fans of various things, my colleagues and fellow union members (FB is amazing for networking purposes,) neighbors, and assorted other people that I care about. I'm able to see travel sites for places I want to visit. Sometimes the people that post the most interesting things are those that I might otherwise count as acquaintances.

I don't get the hate. You do need to unfollow or even drop people who are not working for you for whatever reason. There are people whom I like, but I can't stand what they post, so I either unfollow them, or occasionally drop them. You are in charge of your own feed just like you are in charge of your own life.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 11, 2020 07:18PM

MeinSpace

Date: November 11, 2020 09:07PM

Clever.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 15, 2020 12:02PM

Parler AKA MeinSpace.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 15, 2020 01:24PM

Klan rallies were too obvious.
So they went online.
Big Tech started censoring them.
Pretty soon they banned them.
So they went and formed a group online that would not censor their speech.
Then it started censoring their speech.

Posted by: ufotofuabbaufotofu ( )
Date: November 15, 2020 05:10PM

babyfacebook

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 01:03AM

I would be interested in joining parler. We had a couple of transvestites stab a woman this summer. It was a couple, a man dressed as a woman and a woman dressed as a man. I got put in facebook jail for saying I think they are crossdressers or transvestites. Well the title of the news story called them that. Facebook was so mean, I mean complain to the fucking news company for calling them that. It was KRDO. It was not my fault the killers were crossdressing. The guy was wearing a wig and fake boobs and the woman had drawn a mustache on her face

I got a lesson in how my free speech was violated, So yes I'm joining parler

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:34AM

Freedom of speech applies to the government, not to private businesses like Facebook.

Your freedom of speech was not violated.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:47PM

Here are some great Twitter memes:

https://www.rt.com/usa/506530-twitter-election-meme-mockery/

Enjoy!

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 05:54PM

You do understand that RT is a known Russian state propaganda channel backed by the Kremlin, don't you?

Putin sez: "Spasibo, tovarishch caffiendov!"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 03:59PM

They hate the color of Facebook.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 09:38PM

Back in 1970 or 1971 when I was living in Los Angeles, I turned the radio to a brand new format for out there. KABC-AM was the second radio station doing an all-talk format in the city, but the first one, KLAC, hadn't lasted very long in the format. And, if truth be fully told, there weren't many stations like KABC-AM at the time nationally.

So my mom, my brother, and I were listening to the callers and host arguing over politics and other unsundry issues. As a 7- or 8-year-old kid, I thought it was fun to listen to and I thought that I agreed with some of the callers. So I asked my mom what she thought.

"I hated it," she said. "These are callers and hosts yelling at each other opinions about things that none of them really knows anything about."

And though I've enjoyed listening to talk radio over the years, first as a conservative and then as a liberal, I've come to agree with my mom on the subject. I think I'd rather listen to actual news stories with facts than endless opinions from people who know nothing, or next to nothing, about the things they're prattling on about.

What I've just said about talk radio holds in spades on social media sites. There are a lot of people with a lot of opinions about a lot of subjects, but the vast majority of them have absolutely no expertise in the subjects on which they have such strong opinions. This is one of the strongest reasons why I don't read or post on any social media sites. I can hear all of that garbage, left or right (but mostly right, nowadays) on talk radio, and frankly, I think it all sucks!

One of the earlier posters on this thread argued that everybody has opinions and the right to express them. Maybe we do, but learning where and when to keep our mouths shut is just as important a skill that seems to have been lost by a lot of people.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 11:03AM

Listening is a skill people think is as intrinsic as hearing. It is a skill not a perception. I think many people were not paid much attention to as children. I know I wasn't. Often I think many adults form opinions and hold them dearly as if they were emotions they felt as a child. For example, say as a child you were told to not bother the adults but in a rare instance you were let into their world and they shared some information with you.

This is a prize. It is a reason for people to pay attention to you. When you grow up information in a similar vein triggers this feeling of importance and acceptance.

It is the feeling that they feel is threatened more than the information their opinion contains. But if people listened to each other more withholding judgement it might be better. A problem is though the hearing to placate people. Good listening requires some feedback and when the feedback is negative the speakers echo chamber is threatened.

I don't know how to be an active listener for people unwilling to accept disagreement as part of the conversation.

RfM is great at not becoming an echo chamber for people for whom disagreement triggers their vulnerabilities. It is accused all the time of being an echo chamber for people for whom the people they have disagreements with them and their inability for acceptance of their mistakes (reading something wrongly, posting something that isn't true etc.) in a public forum is anathema.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 11:04AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:38AM

Not sure why Parler needs criticism. It will fail if no one patronizes the site. Free markets work that way.

Not sure if pseudo-befuddlement posts like this brings a desired outcome. Frustration with perceived censorship is a waste of energy.

Let it be. Let them be. The people will vote with their feet.

These days, no one comes to FB, RFM, Parler or LDS.com in search of how to shape their beliefs...they come to those places for the most part to rub shoulders with kindred spirits and to strengthen their convictions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.