Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 02:45PM

A book about new age, borrowed it from a religious institution. Some kind of lutheran foundation. Whatever. It is very likely some kind of student chaplin did it.

Do religious people never respect other readers?

Now I probably have to pay some kind of fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 02:59PM

Tell them only Mormons write in books. I don’t think Librarians are that picky about it. If your mind is at a high vibration, as evidenced by the spaceship dream, esoteric reading is probably for you. There’s a lot there if you include channeled works.

The post-2012 era is seeing more channeled works since the Earth shifted in 2012. It makes channeling easier for both sides.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 03:05PM

Mormons don't have time to write in library books. They are too busy stealing them.

Date: November 14, 2020 09:01PM

It’s okay, Jesus gave them a hall pass.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 10:05PM

Yes. Mormons steal books they think shouldn't be read.

We could never keep Budge's "Egyptian Magic" in the library more than a few months. There was an actual translation of the fascilimies. Evil book.

Date: November 14, 2020 03:14PM

Having a jock itch right now. Things are going haywire. Secular sports have it downside. Higher sports in zero gravity have only ups, now downs.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 03:35PM

One county librarian told me that they have a budget to cover damaged books and those that patrons steal. They noticed that many of these books were uncomplimentary of mormonism. Now they have a general category and another category for books that mormons vandalize.

Some mormon missionaries hide out in the stacks and write replies in the margins of these books. They also blacken passages or hide and steal what they call "anti-books."

A school librarian said that someone would check out certain "anti" books on the first day of school. Then other friends would check out the books regularly making it impossible for non-believers to read them.

A childhood friend of mine, emailed me and wanted to reestablish our early friendship. After a few notes back and forth, she cut me off. On that same day she impersonated four people who claimed to have read the book, Plural Bride to Be, that I wrote. All four happened to dislike it. My rating went from near perfect to terrible on that fateful day. A friend? I don't think so.

I think many mormons must think book burning is an acceptable form of lying for the Lord.

Did anyone here used to burn books? Did you know others who did?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 10:06PM

Just the tax code to keep warm.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 06:28PM

I sometimes see notes or comments written into library books. I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt the library clerks will even notice, but if they do, just explain.

I sometimes write notes in books that I later donate. That may be what happened here.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 06:40PM

Here's a funny old (2011) thread that discusses mormon book notes:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,285037

It was last resurrected in 2016 by an outraged mormon. Some of you may remember it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 06:49PM

When I was attending BYU, the movie "The Exorcist" came out. It was of course considered evil, and good BYU students shouldn't attend. I, being the sort of person I am, checked to see if the BYU library had the novel the movie was based on. It did.

So I checked it out. Somebody had gone through the entire book, and underlined every single swear word, occult or satanic bit of dialogue, etc, in the book. The underlining was fairly heavy, like they were squeezing the pencil way too hard.

Some people in Mormonism are not well.

Back in the 1960s, Fawn Brodie's No Man Knows My History had a habit of disappearing from libraries in the West. Or if people weren't nervy enough to steal it, they would reshelve it in some obscure part of the library.

Photocopiers were new technology in the 1960s, and BYU also had a serious problem of students simply ripping articles out of books or encyclopedias if they needed the information for an assignment. It was a pretty serious problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 06:50PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 14, 2020 08:34PM

It's a very nasty practice. Mormons are not the only malefactors.

Date: November 14, 2020 09:04PM

I wonder if a pencil is the only thing they are squeezing too hard.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: November 15, 2020 01:50AM

My rural Nevada public library had books checked out and destroyed that were anti- in the 1980s.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 07:44PM

He was over 40 at the time.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 05:02PM

I try to balance this out by removing anything religious from the little Free Library Boxes. You know what happens then.
I once worked in a library where I was in charge of weeding the reference. The whole Mormon encyclopedia was removed to recycling.
It just sat there taking up space before I came along.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 05:47PM

Back in the day, Paul H. Dunn held a zone conference where he asked us to check our local libraries for anti-mormon books. If we found one or some, to "borrow" them and drop em in the nearest river. I found one titled, "mysteries and crimes of mormonism".

I took it back into the book stacks and tucked it down the back of my pants under my suit coat. My companion asked the librarian person a question while I sauntered past them and out the door. It was the St. Albans Library I think. in Vermont.

It was an interesting book. I didn't drop it in a river, but took it home when the mission ended. A friend in the ward borrowed it and then never returned it. Oh well,

Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 11:50PM

that even atheists write in books.

Date: December 01, 2020 01:43PM

I ordered a eraser and removed half of the markings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.