Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 01:10PM

In the first week of December, it will be the 16th anniversary of my name removal. How should I celebrate such a red-letter day in the life? With COVID, there may be fewer public options but I do intend to commemorate that pleasantly noteworthy day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 01:36PM

Go out, there is one particular restaurant that has half a dozen burning campfire pits and sturdy seating with plenty of spacing in between near me and it was fun fun fun. Oktoberfest beer, tents with heaters and loung chairs. Smores and roasting marshmallows including graham crackers and chocolate bars and even real food, too! Music and infrared electric lamps (think golf course) and those tall glass propane torches for atmosphere. Subtle lighting everywhere and reservations for dining indoor. Sometimes outside living space with friendly folks having a great time has never been more precious.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 01:45PM

Beer. Always. Beer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 01:48PM

https://watchdocumentaries.com/how-beer-saved-the-world/

How Beer Saved the World is takes a closer look at the critical role that beer has managed to play throughout the entire course of human history. It explores the most likely origins of the beverage to the development of a special kind of beer that can be used for zero gravity space missions.

In How Beer Saved the World, scientists and historians are interviewed in order to provide a clearer picture of how beer has had a great influence on some of the major events experienced in human history, including the construction of the pyramids in Egypt and the evolution of modern medicine. It also delves into aspects such as how beer helped in the creation of certain labour laws in America. Furthermore, it discerns the notion that beer is simply an entertainment beverage for the masses by showing its deep cultural and historical value.

Posted by: ufotofuabbaufotofu ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:15PM

How do you celebrate everyday?

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 06:42PM

Beer. Always. Beer.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 03:27PM

Razortooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beer. Always. Beer.
Beer is totally useless without some good homemade pizza to accompany it

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 08:18PM

It has dawned on me that I could claim that I celebrated my freedom from belief in mormonism being directed by a ghawd by going on a mission.

A good time was had by all.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 09:22AM

I celebrate my freedom anniversary, every year, too, in December. It's fun to try to do the opposite of Mormonism, if you know what I mean. I used to volunteer in person in the schools, the Assistance League, or the center for battered women and children, and I scheduled volunteer work for the day of my freedom anniversary. Anything but Relief Society and those grumpy gossips! Volunteers are the nicest people on the planet!

Recently, I'm too busy to go in person, so I donate to causes of which the Mormons disapprove. I won't name them, but these are women's rights groups, environmental causes, human rights, UNICEF, directly helping people of other races (not phony Mormon ploys to get new members) helping animals, whatever I feel like. Be sure you donate to something legitimate. You can do this and still be safe from covid.

I don't know exactly why, but I think of doing REAL good deeds as being against Mormonism. Maybe it's because of Mormonism's false claims of "serving others", when it's only self-serving--and grabbing people's money without telling them where or how it's being spent.

The first anniversary, I celebrated by throwing out all my Mormon recipes. Some were from pioneer days, and included lard or gobs of crisco and butter, fried fatty meat, pastries, tons of sugar. Too much of that stuff made me sick. I learned to cook healthier food, and ethnic food. To celebrate that first free Christmas Eve, we went out for Chinese food, an idea stolen from the movie "Christmas Story." The next Christmas Eve, we went to Olive Garden. We used to get ribs from Tony Roma's, Mexican food is our favorite, now. You might feel safer having a TV dinner, to be outrageous, or cook yourself a thick steak--whatever is your favorite. If you are an ex-mormon woman, celebrating means not having to cook.

The kids and I started celebrating not having to go to the ward Christmas party, which always turned out to be unpleasant. We finally ditched out, when we were still members, and ordered a pizza and made popcorn and drank Coke (which was considered against the WOW, at the time), in our pajamas, by the fire and Christmas tree, and we watched "Christmas Vacation." This is still a family tradition, on the same night the ward has it's Christmas Party. Out our window, we can see the cars gather in the church parking lot, and we smile with happiness!

--Watch a good R-rated movie.
--Go for a hike, ski, snow shoe, or walk your dog
--Call or Facetime a friend or two.
--Buy yourself a gift online.
--I would like to celebrate by resigning again, every year, but I don't think that's possible. I do have some ex-Mormon friends who go to the organized mass-resignation event at Ensign Peak every year.

Whatever you end up doing, be in the moment, not in the past. You can anticipate a bright future of more freedom and joy. Congratulate yourself!

Now the kids have moved out and gotten married, I like celebrating my anniversary by myself, with no one else knowing what I'm celebrating. Most wouldn't understand. My joy is deep inside. I have learned to value solitude and independence. I have no need of those Mormon relatives and so-called "friends" who shunned me 12 years ago.
This works best if you balance it by seeing your family and good friends as often as possilbe--which is difficult during this period of social isolation. Oh well, back to texting.

Date: November 19, 2020 02:22AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 01:40PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 01:58PM

> Watch a good R-rated movie.

EB: always living dangerously!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:59PM

Blood of the prophets.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:47PM

Beer, watch an R rated movie. Say F*** a lot. Burn a B of M if you still own one.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 06:11PM

Celebrate it by replacing "name removal" with "resign." "Removing one's name," "name removal," "having one's name removed," etc., are all terms the church wants you to use. So don't use them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 08:39PM

Hookers and coke ?

Date: November 22, 2020 09:40PM

cuzx Wrote:
> In the first week of December, it will be the 16th
> anniversary of my name removal. How should I
> celebrate such a red-letter day in the life? With
> COVID, there may be fewer public options but I do
> intend to commemorate that pleasantly noteworthy
> day.
How about a rip roaring druncken orgy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 09:41PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 05:40PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> cuzx Wrote:
> -----------------------------------
> How about a rip roaring druncken orgy?

Great idea!
Though hookers & coke sounded pretty good.

I just say live like today is your last day... but that's how you should live everyday.

I'd say laugh and be happy
Maybe a bee, or a few...

Date: December 02, 2020 07:17PM

I’ve been on a walking kick. Usually, I do 4 miles but I’ve completed a few 10K distances and, when I get a wild hair, up to 8 miles. Well, today I was shooting for a half marathon and my body held up to eleven before I threw in the towel. That 13.1 is going to have to wait a little longer. I’ve been eating healthier too because my A1C was 5.8 last January and I was clearly overweight in the midsection. Because of COVID, I had to put off a class to lose weight until September. In the last 12 weeks, I’ve lost about 25 lbs and dropped a pant size. So my celebration today is the realization that I’m a more fit CuzX. It probably doesn’t mean that much to anyone here except Don Bagley, Jerry The Aspousetate, and Cheryl, because they know me. Cheers!

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 09:44AM

Cuzx, I care!

I felt that my daily hikes with my dog, giving up all that Mormon-style junk food, losing weight, and looking sexier were all part of my celebration.

Why is it that we think of good health, eating right, exercising, and fun are all ANTI-Mormon? I know I do!

Celebrate by wearing well-fitted athletic clothes, going on a hike, and eating the best grade AA food you can afford! And then guzzle beer while watching the R-rated movie.

Date: December 04, 2020 04:32PM

God willing, I'll keep walking, cycling or kayaking for at least an hour a day, as long as I can. I don't think that I'll try for another half marathon for a while though.

Hey, the biggest surprise of losing weight was suddenly fitting into clothes I'd saved from 10 years ago.

Nothing wrong with a good R-rated show. I wonder why TSSC was so down on the rated films of my teenage years: the 60s and 70s.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 07:44PM

Raise two fingers in the air and loudly yell “COCKTAIL”!!!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 08:12PM

Have a drink, on me .. I mean, on you, and in you; with thoughts from me.

Celebrate Everyday

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 10:42PM

Celebrate each week and have relaxing Sundays.

Date: December 04, 2020 11:25AM

Hurray for you
to celebrate call the church offices in SLC and tell them how much you miss them (NOT)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 09:30PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> Hurray for you, to celebrate call the church offices in SLC and tell them how much you miss them

Maybe dis, but not miss, Mr.

That's a good idea though
(surely for someone lol)

... how much they miss member'$

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 10:50AM

Order new underwear - again, of your own choosing - and feel badly for the poor believers who are still confined to magical garments.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.