Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:00PM

I comes from MSN(mainstream news) so suspect it might be completely biased and totally taken out of context.

"In Utah, records continue being shattered, and cases are skyrocketing. A quarter of new test results are now positive. As intensive care units fill up, health care workers are feeling the strain.

"We're tired. Mentally, physically, emotionally exhausted," said nurse Nate Smithson, who works at Intermountain Medical Center — Utah's largest hospital. For some patients there, the cold COVID-19 reality still isn't real.

"They deny it. Their family members deny it," said Smithson.

Janine Roberts is also a nurse at the same hospital. She told CBS News, "We have these patients who literally are on life support. We're working super hard to get them better, finally helping them to wake up, and then the first thing they're trying to communicate is that it's all a hoax." "
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hospitals-overrun-as-u-s-reports-1-million-covid-cases-in-a-week/ar-BB1b4q7f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 05:27PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:07PM

Given the national news coverage yesterday, this is very likely to be a factual account of what American health care workers are experiencing.

Date: November 17, 2020 02:26PM

It must be bad.

The people I know here in medical care aren't overrun or exhausted. But I live in a small corner of Jackson County Missouri.

And about fake news, this article makes me laugh. I guess you can still edit an article posted 3 years ago that mentions this about lying news outlets?

"And there are plenty more lies and dodgy dealings that mainstream media (MSM) has been caught up in. Most recently, governments have had to backtrack on the misinformation they’ve disseminated about COVID-19. It seems their statistics are often incorrect, and many doctors disagree with the advice they’ve been giving to the public."
https://eluxemagazine.com/culture/articles/honest-news-sites/

Date: November 17, 2020 02:39PM

Posted by: notfake ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:06PM

Is everything fake until proven true or is everything true until proven fake?

People ARE catching and transmitting the virus, getting sick and dying, or 'recovering' (their furniture), and lost, foolish, stupid, confused, in denial, mislead, gullible, trusting, worried, and any number of scenarios or conditions, good or bad.

Is that hard to believe or understand?

It's happening

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 11:23AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's what's happening where I am (unless it is
> fake.)
>
> https://www.kmbc.com/article/hospital-icus-filling
> -up-quickly-across-missouri-covid-19-coronavirus/3
> 4646623

What's so fake about this virus? Why are people having a difficult time accepting COVID-19 and not the other viruses and bacterial diseases that have been known about for 100 y or so?

~~~~iceman9090

Date: November 20, 2020 11:45AM

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 01:34PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could have asked the leader of this religion,
> but he died.
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/church-patria
> rch-dies-from-covid-19-after-leading-open-casket-f
> uneral-of-bishop-killed-by-the-virus/ar-BB1bczFh

That is sad to hear. The serbians have been infected with the Jesus virus and COVID-19.
We are all partly responsible for this outcome.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:32PM

Some people find it easier to suffer the negative consequences of a false belief than to admit they were wrong.

Date: November 17, 2020 02:39PM

Is that caused by a virus?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:46PM

Nope; the virus would like to thank the Sunk Cost Fallacy for helping find breeding ground in Utah, though.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:50PM

Ha.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 02:40PM

Every one here at work was talking about people dying of covid while claiming covid is a hoax. This was an interview of nurses in South Dakota they were discussing.

Heard the same about Utah.

I've been saying it often lately. Some people will put up with or accept absolutely anything in order to get the one thing they want. I guess being known forever as stupid is one of those things they are willing to accept.

If whatshisname who they worship started a church he could get a lot of tithing and wouldn't have to bother with hotels and golf courses anymore.

Date: November 17, 2020 02:55PM

We would have our first reality television savior. I wonder why this hasn't happened yet? Maybe so many other universes of the multiverse did so it is passé here. I need to google some scientists who support me in this...

Posted by: quota ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:14PM

I do, but don't google, goggle, or gaggle me.

But don't quote me on that

I'm anaot a scientist though
I just play one. Work won.

* I hope not (until now)
Because I made it up.

MAKE It Until You FAKE It

I'm going back to making it
I can't take it

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 03:00PM

>>Janine Roberts is also a nurse at the same hospital. She told CBS News, "We have these patients who literally are on life support. We're working super hard to get them better, finally helping them to wake up, and then the first thing they're trying to communicate is that it's all a hoax."

I heard that nurse being interviewed on the news, and I was in disbelief. I've always said that some people cannot be told, but must learn from experience. I guess in a number of cases, even experience doesn't do the trick.

Posted by: titles ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 04:56PM

EB

Ever try a title like this, with the actual words in the title, rather than asking if something is "fake news", without even asking the whole question, thereby spell island the reader to decide if they want to click on it or not; the post, not the link. Just saying, it wouldn't sound as misleading, general, or vague, but offer insight into what the post is about.

oldnews, not newnews

Aren't their already about a half a dozen to a dozen posts about this [Utah coviDenial] here within the past few pages/ weeks alone?

To answer your question, is it fake news?

Posted by: titles ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:40PM

I love you EB
(especially if you love me) lol

Date: November 17, 2020 06:44PM

My loving kindness to you!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 12:34AM

CBS national news sent a reporter to SLC yesterday to do a covid surge story. We're not as bad off as the Dakotas, but we have better plane connections, and the surge is certainly bad enough here to qualify as a cautionary tale.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 10:14AM

I see this too, lots of folks not taking the new disease seriously. One of my old highschool teachers/coaches just died from the illness, He was at his post for 42 years and just died last week, He started in '69 and went on for decades beloved and remembered by generations of students all over northern Utah. They weren't able to have a funeral (which would have likely been attended by hundreds maybe even thousands).

And now there's thanksgiving coming and even worse Christmas. Just be prepared for things to get a lot worse.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 10:29AM

A nation of introverts!

Posted by: valued ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 12:55PM

The term "Fake News" has been highjacked into meaning something that is not agreed with. It originally meant something that was completely made up, with no factual bases whatsoever.

Here are the list of definitions from Dictionary.com. Unfortunately, the last one has become the more accepted use of the definition. I wonder what person started that?

noun
false news stories, often of a sensational nature, created to be widely shared or distributed for the purpose of generating revenue, or promoting or discrediting a public figure, political movement, company, etc.:
It’s impossible to avoid clickbait and fake news on social media.

a parody that presents current events or other news topics for humorous effect in an obviously satirical imitation of journalism:
The website publishes fake news that is hilarious and surprisingly insightful.

Sometimes Facetious. (used as a conversational tactic to dispute or discredit information that is perceived as hostile or unflattering):
The senator insisted that recent polls forecasting an election loss were just fake news.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 18, 2020 11:22PM

In January, DH and I were having a conference with my orthopedic surgeon about my shoulder. An attempt to re-connect one of the ligaments had failed, so he told me that I would need total shoulder replacement.

I asked him when it could be scheduled. He checked his surgical schedule and said that February 27th was the earliest date he had available. I said, "Let's do it. I want to get this over with."

It still makes me shudder to think that if I had chosen to put it off a little bit longer, I would still be waiting. My shoulder still isn't completely up to snuff (probably never will be, but it's WAY better than it was before surgery) but if I hadn't grabbed that date in late February, COVID would have put it on hold indefinitely.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 02:49AM

I have seen a few stories in the news about Utah hospitals being over run by Covid 19. But Utah seems to be doing okay with respect to the virus, at least when compared to their neighbor state ofArizona.

I just checked worldometers and Utah showed 756 Covid 19 deaths in Utah, whereas Arizona shows 6346 Covid 19 deaths. The total Utah population is around 3.3 million and the total Arizona population is around 6.3 million. So the population in Arizona is roughly double that of Utah, whereas the Covid 19 deaths are almost 10x in Arizona compared to Utah. Utah may be earlier in the infection process compared to Arizona. But for now, why are their medical resources being stressed? I haven't heard the same yet about Arizona.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 02:52AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 05:44AM

AZ had its spike in hospitalizations and deaths in July. The UT spike was modest then. Now UT is on a tear, and AZ spike is more modest.

NY still has the highest per capital death toll, but it was mostly back in April. Since then it has been one of the safest places in the country. That's the problem with using cumulative stats. It can give a very distorted view of what's happening right now. And right now, UT is struggling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 05:45AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.