Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 04:56PM

Do the mormons top the other churches when it comes to cuisine?

Packing pounds or levite slim.

What is the trend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:12PM

I can tell you that there is really no such thing as Catholic cuisine. Instead, each family's food tends to reflect its culture. My father had an Irish mom, so corned beef and cabbage was our norm on St. Patrick's day. My Polish/Russian maternal grandmother made wonderful potato pancakes and stuffed cabbage.

Years ago there was a Catholic custom of meatless Fridays (I think that still may be the case during the Lenten season.) When I was a child, meatless was normally interpreted to include fish. In my family, fish and chips were a normal Friday evening dinner. Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I often still enjoy fish for my Friday supper. Fish on Friday is comfort food for Catholics.

Growing up, Sunday evening was my mom's "day off" for cooking. We just had whatever was easy to prepare.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 01:26PM

Just a factoid: per Cracked.com (who are always 100% reliable, of course), McDonalds introduced the Filet-o-Fish (or however you spell it) specifically for the Catholic market.

Posted by: ufotofuabbaufotofu ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 05:42PM

No

Mormonism is always at the bottom

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 07:38PM

I'm not sure there is a Mormon Cuisine as much as local. Cuisine.

There is the infamous mormon funeral dinner of cheesy potatoes, ham, jello and weak punch.

In the 60s there were recipes in the relief society magazine that included non alcoholic drinks for parties and the obligatory savory jello dish. (Tuna and green jello!) But I think that was more the era than mormonism.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 08:55PM

Judging by the number of pot luck dinners I have attended, in Mormon churches and others, cuisine is too fine a word to use in such a discussion.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:50PM

Exactly.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: November 17, 2020 10:15PM

Mormon cuisine = the dessert table at Chuck-A-Rama.

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 03:12AM

Cauda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do the mormons top the other churches when it comes to cuisine?
>

Nope. They're on the bottom.

In fact, the Dessert Table is Deserted at the Deseret.

It's not like the LDS have any great traditions in taste. What a waste.

There IS a Difference though.
OTHER churches USE their kitchens.

There you have it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 04:26AM

Actually other churches don't use their kitchens, unless they have upgraded them to commercial kitchen sanitation standards, which is pretty pricey, typically $50k or more, and that's assuming the kitchen already has the space and doesn't need to knock out walls.

I've volunteered at two organizations that did not do the upgrade. Food could only be reheated and not cooked from raw ingredients. There is a loophole. Food cooked outdoors and served on disposable plates was ok - think pancake breakfast on the lawn or parking lot.

I volunteered at one church that did the upgrade. Even there, they tended to only cook the simplest items on site. The kitchen was just too crowded, and handling raw meat too complicated. I believe raw meat required a higher level of health department certification. Whatever, it just wasn't done. There was commercial grade refrigerator, freezer, sinks and dishwashing equipment.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 07:14AM

A friend of mine said that non-Mormon churches in her area really don't host the types of church dinners that used to be common. When I asked her why, she said that there was a lack of money, time, and interest. It could also be, as you cite, lack of available funds to upgrade kitchens and provide insurance.

I think that's sad. I have a lot of fond memories of church dinners and social activities growing up. Church really needs to be more than people droning away at you on Sundays. It has to be a community center.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 08:02AM

Would that be some sort of state law?

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Actually other churches don't use their kitchens,
> unless they have upgraded them to commercial
> kitchen sanitation standards, which is pretty
> pricey, typically $50k or more, and that's
> assuming the kitchen already has the space and
> doesn't need to knock out walls.
>

Date: December 13, 2020 10:07AM

Certainly not an opinion based on fact in my experience.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 10:09AM

scmd1 Wrote:
> Would that be some sort of state law?
>
> Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Actually other churches don't use their
> kitchens,
> > unless they have upgraded them to commercial
> > kitchen sanitation standards, which is pretty
> > pricey, typically $50k or more, and that's
> > assuming the kitchen already has the space and
> > doesn't need to knock out walls.
> >

Knocking out Mormon walls? What a prophetic statement!

Heh, the barriers will stay, no revival tents will ever be allowed on church property ha ha ha..

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:42PM

scmd1 Wrote:
> Would that be some sort of state law?
>

First, good to see you, doc!

Yes, food prepared for public consumption is subject to regulation.

Here's a hasty overview published by the Los Angeles Archdiocese as a guide for it's subjects:

https://handbook.la-archdiocese.org/Handbook%20Resources/summary_overview_of_food_service_requirements.pdf

I offer it as an example to show that food can't just be handed out as if we lived in New Testament days! Good heavens!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 07:10PM

Greetings, EOD!

I can see food preparation being regulated in California, but it seems unlikely that churches in Tennessee or Arkansas, for example, either follow such regulations or even HAVE them.

Date: December 15, 2020 07:35PM

Well, they have Jesus...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:46PM

The only ward dinners that I attended in recent years had the food prepped at other locations then brought in and re-heated

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:55PM

Mormons have cuisine ?

Date: December 13, 2020 01:56PM

Mormons have cuisine comin' out their butts!!

Just like the rest of us...

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 02:06PM

"Do I eat it, or *did* I eat it?" (Dan Conner, "Roseanne")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 06:22PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 05:51PM

Spotted dick is not a disease.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 06:47PM

American Mormons--possibly also Canadians--don't necessarily have a similar diet in other countries. In Italy, the diet is very much Italian, with lots of calories on Sunday, mostly vegetarian during the week, still doing fish on Fridays, ersatz coffee, etc. It's something American Mormons miss when they talk about Mormonism; American Mormons only see Mormons as American, and seldom consider the part that they incessantly brag about--the "World Church."

Mormons in other countries tend to care very little about how the Americans pursue the religion. They certainly don't care about how American Mormons insist on conservatism and Republicanism. Americans in other countries have their own things to worry about, and their own politics, which are often NOT conservative as in the US.

Date: December 15, 2020 08:08PM

Politics in general is not tied into religious faith in most other countries the way it is here in the US.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 06:51PM

The only 'Blue Zone' in America is Loma Linda, CA, which is a 7th Day Adventist community.

https://www.bluezones.com/exploration/loma-linda-california/

"The Seventh-day Adventist church in this sunny pocket of Southern California was founded in the 1840s. The church flourished through the 20th century – and so did its Loma Linda members who view health as central to their faith.

Today, a community of about 9,000 Adventists in the Loma Linda area are the core of America’s blue zone region. They live as much as a decade longer than the rest of us, and much of their longevity can be attributed to vegetarianism and regular exercise. Plus, Adventists don’t smoke or drink alcohol."

If you are able to find a Mormon community that viewed 'health as central to their faith', I'd be surprised.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 07:07PM

One of the things most new vegetarians learn is that Seventh-Day Adventist hospital cafeterias are WONDERFUL if you are traveling and can't find vegetarian meals wherever you happen to be.

When I am traveling outside of southern California, and especially on road trips, I now keep handy a list of Seventh-Day Adventist Hospitals on my route.

I vividly remember my first road trip after I became vegetarian: the "long way" across Texas, where the only "vegetarian" [I know! I know!] food to be had was McDonald's French fries [Yes, I DO know what those fries were cooked in!], because the alternative was what chocolate bars or ice cream novelties were at the local convenience store....I felt like I was about to pass out....and I was the driver.

My vegetarian hopes and wishes are that Seventh-Day Adventist Hospital cafeterias will all live very long and successful lives, because sometimes they feel like literal life-savers if you are vegetarian.

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 11:08PM

Vegetarian Lifesavers: Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

HareKrishna
Vegetarian

The Hari Krishnas are known as "The Religion Of The Kitchen"

Always Feasting, and Celebrating-
Lord... VEGITARIANS

Sunday Love Feasts
International love

You want to eat good?
Eat at a Hare Krsna temple.

Especially on certain occasions and holidays/ holy days

FREE 11 course meals-

From Kansas City to Salt Lake City, New York City to New Orleans, Los Angelos, Laguna Beach, Austin, Texas, south Mississippi, and from Virginia to Spanish Fork, Utah. And that's just in the United States of America. There are temples ALL OVER The Americas, Canada, Europe, Asia, India...

And you're welcome at ALL Hari Krishna temples, at a Love Feast near you. Hare Krsna

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 02:47PM

Cauda Wrote:
> Do the mormons top the other churches when it
> comes to cuisine?
>
> Packing pounds or levite slim.
>
> What is the trend?
As a Mormon I regularly cusined on beer and pepperoni pizza

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 02:49PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.