Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:27PM

Where are the paintings and all the art? Did the church hide all their art work from the 50s and 60s?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 02:51PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 09:14PM

Mormons Thinking Abstractly? Hmmmnn. Made me wonder why Mormons never made this list when even the JW's did:

Some Religious Truths

TAOISM: Shit happens

ZEN BUDDHISM: What is the sound of shit happening?

PROTESTANTISM: Let shit happen to someone else

ATHEISTS: Shit happens for no apparent reason

HARE KRISHNA: Shit happens/ Shit happens/ Happens, happens/ Shit happens

CONFUCIANISM: Confucius says: "Shit happens"

HINDUISM: This shit happened before

CATHOLICISM: If shit happens you deserve it

AGNOSTICS: Facts happen

EVANGELISTS: Send me £8 million or shit will happen to you

BUDDHISM: If shit happens, it isn't really shit

ISLAM: If shit happens it is the will of Allah

JUDAISM: Why does shit always happen to us?

CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS: Only good shit happens

JEHOVA'S WITNESSES: Let us in and we will tell you why shit happens

Edit : RASTAFARIANISM: Let's smoke this shit (Thanks u/rakshu)

So? Mormons: We have the only true shit?

Date: November 20, 2020 10:28AM

MORMONISM: Let them in and they will keep shit happening upon me and upon my posterity THROUGH all generations of time and THROUGHOUT all eternity!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 04:47PM

The epitome of Mormon Art was the giant mural of the figure skater on the side of the Penis Palace (church HQ building) during the Utah Winter Olympics.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 08:31PM

To be an artist you have to have a hole in your life. Mormonism insists that it has all the answers. You can't make great art out of that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 08:48PM

I suppose that you're speaking metaphorically regarding the 'hole'.

I'm not doubting that such 'holes' in one's life can become apparent and taken into account, but I don't think expressions of talent are dependent on their existence.

Unless you want to say that the hole is where the volcano of talent erupted. I don't think all artist are trying to plug existential holes.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 08:51PM

To be a good artist, you need to be able to imagine and make mistakes, to be free to create whatever is inside of you, good and bad. Mormonism says you will be held accountable for every thought and makes you lie to yourself as a way to communicate with God. That's what made me go inactive before I ever learned the truth.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 19, 2020 10:44PM

Salt lake had lots of good artists in the early 20th century. A good place to see much of it is at the Huntsman and University hospital. Many old paintings of historic Utah have been donated and hang on the walls.

As for abstract expressionism. this leans to heavily in deconstructionism, Mormondom is systemetically organized in a rational and harmonious way. The artists, architects, and writers try to represent things structured in classical designs. To find abstract ideas or works of art this would be the work of radicals, the progressives, those who think on the left.

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 12:00PM

Interestinf feedback. Thank you!

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 01:45PM

How could Abstract Expressionism even be a thing among mormons?

There's not even ONE good art museum in SLC!! A city of millions and the only excuse for an art museum is the U of U one?

Perhaps the lack of good art museums reflects more on the lack of philanthropy among SLC's uber-rich. The cult wins and everyone else has to do without. Typical.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 06:24PM

There are some very good artists in Utah but most, I believe, will tell you that if you want to sell your works you need to exhibit out of state.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 06:53PM

I was formally trained in both studio art and art history during my undergraduate days. My degree is in studio art.

The Mormon "art" that I've seen, particularly the art hanging in ward houses and temples, is complete kitsch, hardly worthy of comment. It's more along the lines of illustration, and not particularly good illustration. I'm not sure why Mormonism has not produced any great artists, on a par with Catholicism, but it may be the relatively small number of believers along with the relatively short history of the church.

BYU does not allow nudity of their models in art classes, which is the standard in our country. I would consider that a sub-par art education.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 06:54PM by summer.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:15AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BYU does not allow nudity of their models in art classes, which is the standard in our country. I would consider that a sub-par art education. >

Sub Par alright.
Maybe even a boogy-
Or worse!

Not only that...
It DOESN'T ALLOW thinking, equality, fairness, advancement, honesty, or FUN, in the individual or institution.

Maybe IT'S ASHAMED of the body... so it covers it - just like the mind, and spirit - in such that it is unrecognizable and non usable.

As for abstract mormonism.
It's a failed institution.
It couldn't pass the muster.
Nor even the mustard...

Mormonism attempts to be recognizable to the world but unrecognizable to his adherents.

It clearly fails in both attempts. The LDS don't recognize it, and would follow about anyone or anything, and it is invisible, even if UGLY, to (former members, and) the rest of the world.

Date: November 23, 2020 10:36AM

Your art degrees make me like you even more, summer. I actually graduated BYU with a degree in art, and, Spanish.
I learned a lot, but in later years I came to see how much more sophisticated programs at other universities were. And our figure drawing models had to wear bathing suits. But of course no good Mormon would paint a nude haha, so that was as it should be.

I had a painting stolen from the student art exhibit in the Harris Fine Arts building. what? You don't expect that at the Lord's University. I always wished I would walk into somebody's house and there it would be. Not on the level of a kidnapped child obviously, but still . . .

I never understood art though until I found myself bored at the Louvre (yes you read that right) and I found a Van Gogh exhibit very close to there at the time by accident. 1973 on tour with Folk Dancers. Changed my life forever. You have to see the paint. Before that I thought the Sunflowers were dumb. It was an "aha" moment on par with when I realized the church was a fraud.

You have to see the thick paint in life, not just the image.

Date: November 23, 2020 10:40AM

I had a similar experience at the National Gallery in D.C. with one of his paintings.

https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.72328.html

Date: November 23, 2020 03:09PM

That's really lovely. I haven't been to the National Gallery in ages. I'm looking forward to going back there again one day.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 02:37PM

Was that at the Musee Du Jeu Paume? It's huge, and it's part of the Louvre family, but that's where they keep most of the Impressionism and you could "stumble" into it.

Date: November 23, 2020 03:12PM

Could have been I don't remember...so long ago. It wasn't a long walk from the Louvre and it was two story. I don't even know how I managed to leave. Just walked in and wasn't a lot of people. I guess I was still righteous enough to receive that kind of blessing.

Nowadays you want to see a Van Gogh you stand in line for hours with a ticket you got six months ago.

Date: November 23, 2020 03:12PM

Done & Done, I can relate to the thick paint! That was my preferred painting style in my youth. I use to ruefully tell myself that I should learn how to paint with thin layers instead. Van Gogh's thick paint likely keeps the art conservators busy, since it's prone to cracking.

I'm mulling over going back to art school when I retire -- a specialized art institute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 03:12PM by summer.

Date: November 23, 2020 07:27PM

Summer, I would agree with you. I was, however, talking about artists in general in Utah rather than just Mormon artists. Those serious about living off their art generally have to do so through galleries outside the state.

Date: November 23, 2020 07:39PM

For some time before I left England I worked close to the National Gallery in London. Often I would visit there in my lunch time to enjoy the works on display. They have a Van Gogh Sunflowers there that is quite stunning in its simplicity. I k now little about the "mechanics" of art but its glow (not sure how else to describe it) literally leaps off the canvas.

Date: November 23, 2020 10:24PM

That must have been fun to be able to dip into a major art museum so frequently.

Date: November 23, 2020 10:26PM

Why do you think that is? Just not much of a market for art?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 06:16PM

Cauda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where are the paintings and all the art? Did the
> church hide all their art work from the 50s and
> 60s?
It is sad how these beautiful works of art both then and now have been cast aside from beautifying Mormon buildings.
If you want to kill a society first destroy its' cultural things in art and music.
Since 2003 when I first aquired PS7 I have been engrossed with the vast scope of applications it can be used for in modifying imagery. I still use it to create the landscape images I capture photographically.
Some of these would make great spiritual additions to ward buildings but like the other things that have driven me away, excluding art work like this, is just another nail in the coffin!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 06:37PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:06PM

They just do Pop Art.
(Mom Art is really out)
¡~°¤■▪︎□○•○●`☆*
Maybe too Far Out-

TOO MUCH ROOM for certain*manhood-rule, orchestrated alter egos, and power over the people, in unnatural and immoral ways (without real trust or faith in collaboration), FALSE, doctored, and 'erased' histories/ historical narratives/ stories/ superstitions, misinerpretation, and misinformed members and TOO LITTLE ROOM for creativity, imagination, taste, feel, or even thought or desire for real art, literature, music, food, architecture, decor, spirit, or inclusive community.

In Other Words, MORMONISM IS DEAD.
- It's the only way it'll work -
Always Has Been, always will be

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.