Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 04:34PM

What’s with all the ‘give thanks’ posts on social media from Mormons today? Has some church leader told them to do this? They’re all at it.

Bit early for Thanksgiving

I’m thankful I’m no longer part of a cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 04:48PM by Claire Ferguson Benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 04:44PM

PR campaign

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 07:57PM

Yep. Someone wondered the other day if this would just be another "drink more Ovaltine" moment (sorry, forget who). And, yes, that's all it is. Hyped long in advance, and it's nothing more then BS fluff to rally the minions. The minions, of course, will act like it was something significant.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 08:42AM

To me...it's them playing the fiddle while the world burns..

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 04:46PM

They are filling their prescriptions from their profit.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 04:54PM

Yup. This is at the direction of Nelson who thinks that a mass annoying of other people will bear fruit.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 05:51PM

Special inspired message given by a Global Faith Leader. They have marching orders to signal their virtue.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2346221

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2346255

An attitude of platitudes.

Posted by: Grateful ( )
Date: November 20, 2020 08:29PM

This season, I am grateful that I don't have to try to find meaning in vague platitudes about gratitude from a fake church. #givethanks

Date: November 21, 2020 10:32AM

OMG they’re at it again today. This is driving me crazy, they’ll no doubt keep it up until next Thursday.

I hope he didn’t tell them to do it for longer than that. It seems so fake. And extremely annoying.

I have turned into a curmudgeon over this!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 10:39AM

Ferret? What ferret?

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 12:19PM

I don't think anyone has brought up the ferret in ages:-)

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 01:42PM

"I don't think anyone has brought up the ferret in ages:-)"

But I'm oh so glad they did. Still makes me laugh. lol

Date: November 21, 2020 12:35PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ferret? What ferret?

Please explain the ferret!

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 02:10PM

Many years ago someone wanted to make a point about true-believing-Mormons (TBMs) having to ignore the obvious in order to maintain their beliefs. That poster needed a literary device akin to ignoring the elephant in the room or ignoring the man behind the curtain. What they came up with was "Please ignore the ferret hanging out of my ass." Some of us thought that was clever enough to reuse now and again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 02:04AM

>>OMG they’re at it again today. This is driving me crazy, they’ll no doubt keep it up until next Thursday.

Yeah, one post would be fine. More than that, and you're tempted to hit the "unfollow" button.

One Mormon friend lost me during the interminable "Light the World" campaign the Mormon church used to run during the Christmas season.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:04AM

One of my friends posted it is a 7 day challenge leading up to Thanksgiving. Since her posts have been reasonably inoffensive I’m not blocking her yet. Today it was about sucessful sales in her Etsy store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 11:04AM by sbg.

Date: November 21, 2020 02:39PM

That ferret story is great. Reminds me of Robert Kirby saying years ago that Mormons are the only people who could turn a bite on the leg by a rabid bad into a message from god. Or something like that, I’ve probably mis-quoted.

On another note, I decided to readjust my opinion of all this ‘give thanks’ mallarkey. After all, they probably really are thankful for the millions of things I’m reading about.

Also, the majority don’t know they’re in a cult. And I’ve been there!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 03:04PM

I'm thankful I never again have to nearly bite my tongue in half to repress the urge to yell out, "IT'S A FUCKING FRAUD!" when my conscience refuses to be mentally enslaved!
#emancipateyourmind
#givethanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 03:04PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: forgotme ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 04:56PM

As someone who pretty well made peace with the church years ago, I'm about ready to puke. And we have basically another week of this.

Date: November 21, 2020 09:39PM

I'm so glad it's not just me forgotme! :)

Posted by: ufotofuabbaufotofu ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 12:44AM

I've been saying it for years.
Many people/ cultures have.
Mormons adopt everything...

Trying to co-opt social media, and popular phrases and messages, like it was the sacrament.

Rusty ALWAYS puts profit before prophet, message before man, and WHOA, before woman.

MORMAN 'leader' discusses Himself, weird Mormon stuff, fake messages and other half truths.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:08AM

A few months ago Rusty told all the womenfolk to do week long social media 'fast'.

Now we have #givethanks

Perhaps next we'll have #RussMNelson.
Do at least one of the following:
Post your favorite picture of Prophet Nelson!
Post a link to your favorite Prophet Nelson conference talk!
Tell everyone about your favorite Prophet Nelson lighted pen inspiration!
Simply bear your testimony about how humble Prophet Nelson is!

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:23AM

Shinehah Wrote:
> ... bear your testimony about how humble Prophet Nelson is!>
... and then Bury It!

That's about it was All About:
LDS IDOL Worship.

false prophecies
EGO BOOST, indoorfins
popularity contest
misleading advertisements
mini-generic conference

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 12:14PM

Those old geezers (I get to call them that since I'm one too) are savvy enough to see that social media is a grand tool for forming and maintaining cult behavior. They've seen how algorithms can work and know volume can shape what people will be fed to see.

Remember when they used to teach how evil the Internet was and to stay away or only access church approved stuff? Well, how things change now that they know how to manipulate using a new media.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 03:20PM

Most people wait for Thanksgiving day to post what they are grateful for. That is what the holiday is all about. But the Mormons have to have a jump on everyone to show how much better they are at giving thanks by bombarding Facebook with #givethanks posts a week before everyone else. So when the actual day of Thanksgiving arrives Mormons can feel oh so superior because they started their #givethanks blitzkrieg a week before everyone else. It's so incredibly annoying. What a way to ruin the best holiday.

What is with the stupid givethanks hashtag? Can't Mormons be grateful without a hashtag? It's so annoying.

What will the Mormons be instructed to post for Christmas? I can hardly wait. What will the hashtag be? I wish their "prophet" would instruct them to stay off social media again.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 05:46PM

Now it is starting to feel like a competition. I have also noticed that the ratio of women posting to men doing so is about 100:1

I have seen some cool family pictures from years ago that I enjoy. Seems like things were so much calmer back then.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 09:34PM

I thought youtube was going to start smoking from the "We love out prophet" comment crap that was scrolling by so fast.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 10:45PM

OK. I don't do Facebook so I thought I was safe. Then I saw this on Twitter:

~~~

Mitt Romney
@MittRomney

I am thankful for parents who loved, taught and guided me, who opened my heart to faith, and who lived with integrity and commitment. #givethanks

~~~

GAG. What superficial lemmings.

Posted by: Honest TB[#givethanks] ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 11:08PM

#givethanks

I am so eternally grateful for the beloved Correlation program that has molded my brain from being so human into being so correlated as there was a thorough washing of my brain through immersion by the Correlation program to think precisely as the wondrous Brethren guide me to think and then never dare question anything again. So instead of thinking like humans I think like they have trained me to think. That way these evil apostates can't penetrate my thoroughly washed brain.

We just to make sure I don't give Satan any big victories I write this now.

#givethanks
#givethanks
#givethanks

Thank you for washing my brain dear beloved Correlation program.

Posted by: third of Five not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 04:14AM

This would have just been annoying. But my brother just posted that his givethanks thing is my daughter, because she has shown the most fortitude than anyone else he knows....Translation: she overcame being brought up by an apostate like me who caused her depression. I’m waiting to hear what she thinks. She’s tagged as well and countless Mormons who don’t even know her are liking on it. I’m not happy.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 04:12PM

Why does the word "typical" pop into my mind reading that.

Love to know what else gets posted. I feel for you.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 10:12AM

People who have to be told to give thanks will never know what gratitude is. If you are doing it because the "prophet" said to then you are as empty as they come.

I don't want anybody's thanks, actually. But if I get it I want the kind that just welled up and wouldn't be quiet or stopped.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 10:46AM

Done & Done Wrote:

I guess this is the mormon way of saying “we exist”, “remember us”.
If they actually wanted to give their god a thanks, they could do it quietly, at home, during prayer.

I have heard of one culture where it is impolite to say thank when you receive a gift. It is like saying that you didn’t expect the person to give you a gift. It is a very tight society. They are very kind.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 08:48PM

These guys are so fool of themselves

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.