Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 09:36AM

I wanted to make sure I had not missed anything as I came away with “what the heck just happened attitude.” This was worse than Hinkley when he was on tv. I wanted to understand why so I rewatched it this am.
It was about Rusty. I am a man of science. I am a man of faith.
It was about his life. I experienced this and that was very sad yes but the world wants to hear something for them not what you experienced. They are not that interested in your life story.
Now I am a widower. I had a beautiful wife pass 4 years ago. The last thing I would do is in front of the world and in front of my new wife is express my deep devotion to my deceased wife. Not that I care about Wendy but that was just a real put down to her.
Then he gave it away. He said Wendy came into his life and makes him happy. Wait a minute. Rusty I thought the plan of happiness was to make you happy. I thought that happiness has to come from within and not from an external source.
Then we get all sorts of pictures of Wendy with Rusty. The world is not interested in that. They want answers.
Then this gratitude thing. Psychology 101. Now my Facebook is filled with hash tags and stories of what people are giving gratitude to.
I thought the prayer was okay until they flashed the cameras to his hands so we could see how sincere he was praying. This was a give away this whole thing was STAGED.
And what’s with “I am going to give you a prescription” wow.
I was hoping to hear. “ I have prayed and fasted. I have been in the temple. This is the mind and will of God.” Not I am going to give you are prescription. It was all about you Rusty.
As for the music it distracted as far as I am concerned. If you go to faith services in other churches or watch it on tv they play background music in a similar way.
Rusty why did you not bear testimony that you knew what you said was true?
Part of my journey is trying to figure out why I believed what I did and now I the man behind the curtain yesterday. They took the curtain away and we could see the man.
One last thing Rusty. I hope Wendy really gives it to you for the way you treated her in that presentation. She really is wife #2, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 05:05PM

My taka away was

First Rusty is not a prophet anymore. He is a Global Faith Leader. We know how he likes to rebrand.

Then the expansion on the song. When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed. When you are discouraged thinking all is lost. Count you many blessings....

Anyway that was nothing new.

What I didn't see....

Thanks to all the healthcare workers.
Wear a mask. Social distance etc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 07:33PM

EVERYTHING in Mormonism has been watered down beyond meaningless yet TBMs can’t get enough...

It least they don’t remind the members how GULLIBLE they are like Joey did...

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 09:17PM

Very similar to Secular Priest, OP, My fakebook feed was bombarded with nauseating gratitude as well. I was losing patience with it today.

Of course Nelson is grateful he's lived his whole life with everyone worshipping him, bowing to his every command. He's never had any problems, in work, in family, in church. He's been the king!

When does gratitude turn into gloating?

Seriously I had one old friend (who's in CES) post how big his house was, showing off if you ask me...

Another house wife friend of mine who's always had that priveleged life where everyone adores her, posted how beautiful her family is, and ya her DIL is unusually gorgeous! Looks like Barbie.

Another relative of mine made multiple posts about how blessed he is to have such beautiful children, and such an amazing wife, He went on and on about how amazingly blessed he is and that those without spouses can look forward to the next life to be happy, (I wish I was making this up!)

And this right after his less lucky brother posted his sad story of having a restraining order from his wife and kid. And how lonely he is.

I mean where is the line between being thankful and just bragging (I think this gratitude bull shit posts on fakebook is a clever way to bullying the less successful)

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:55AM

There are so many similarities with the POTUS and Rusty....

They are always advertising, yes BRANDING, themselves. It's all about their ego. Some describe these men as leaders of a "personality cult." They are both Narcissistic, bordering on psychopathology. They both keep trying to dominate Facebook and Twitter. Money-hungry and greedy. When in a pandemic--recruit more members, and solicit more money, right?

And Rusty warns the Mormons to stay off of the internet, Facebook and Twitter, etc. POTUS says not to listen to the news, or believe any of it.

Russel has let the Mormons down in a big way! He had an opportunity to save some lives! I know these people, who's lives he could yet save--they are older Mormons, who have followed the prophets all their lives, and who don't know how to think for themselves. They are too trusting of (fake) authority. If the prophet doesn't say specifically to wear a mask, then they don't wear a mask. When the prophet asks for more money, they give it to him. When the prophet asks for 2 years out of their children's lives, they send them off on missions. Surely, these sheeple would put a piect of cloth over their nose and mouth. Their pioneer ancestors walked across the plains, and family members died in the journey. Some left their homelands, never to see thier families again. Surely, the sheeple would skip one Thanksgiving, one Christmas, if the prophet told them to.

We should wash our hands, anyway. We learned that before kindergarten. My unmasked Mormon acquaintences should care about keeping others safe--well, the Mormon prophet doesn't care, so why should they?

OMG--my granddaughter who is taking psychology 101 told us all that we should keep a gratitude diary. Maybe God told her to tell us, or the textbook, or haven't we all known this for years? Rusty missed the mark, by not saying, "Broadcast the cult all over the media, and give the cult a dollar every time you do." Nelson isn't as clever as the POTUS.

I missed Nelson's actual "message". (Why don't they call it an advertisement, or statement, or sermon, or speech? They Mormons imply it's a message from God, that's why). I'm wondering if Rusty expressed any sorrow or anguish or sympathy for the 250,000+ Americans who have died. Narcissists are incapable of empathy. Yes, I feel sorry for Wendy, too, in a way.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:22PM

He BORE his test-a-money

Nothing more
Nothing less

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:28PM

Isn't Mormonism a prosperity gospel for some people here? If they are right then this is nothing new.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.