Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 11:53AM

Very few Apostles have been following Nelson's request to post something on their social media accounts each day for the nominated 7 day period. Uchtdorf and Holland are notable for not making any such posts so far. But many of the others are likewise not making daily #givethanks posts.

Check out their official Twitter and Instagram feeds and you will see...

What they were asked to do was "flood social media" with a #givethanks post each day for 7 days starting 20th November.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 12:05PM by pettigrew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 12:45PM

Thank Hastur. 12 less Mormons flooding the internet with insipid materialism and zealotry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 12:46PM by thegoodman.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 01:29PM

I agree!

Date: November 24, 2020 01:29PM

I'm guessing Uchtdorf and Holland are Nelson's opposition party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 01:29PM by Elder Berry.

Date: November 24, 2020 01:30PM

#secondanointing

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:32PM

Is this recovery from mormonism or recovery from monotony?

gIveTHANKs every other post these days is about this same topic.

Maybe I'll try the other one.

Why would the apostatells follow the prophet? They knows he lies.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 12:35AM

Perhaps there's a schism in the works? One Can Hope !!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 02:28AM

FWIW, my TBM RM niece hasn’t made a single #givethanks post. I was a little surprised. Others have tagged her in theirs, but she hasn’t made any herself.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 07:36AM

It's interesting - Nelson asked every members, globally, to make one GiveThanks social media post every day for the 7 days leading up to the American holiday known as Thanksgiving.

Nelson himself has only posted 3 times, so he has failed to do what he's asked members to do.

Uchtdorf hasn't made a single post (as at the time I write this). Why is he ignoring Nelson? Is he sick and can't post? Is he off skiing? Is he conscientiously objecting?

Holland has only made 1 post.

No member of the First Presidency or Q12 will have done what Nelson asked members of the Church to do. I find that pretty shocking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2020 07:37AM by pettigrew.

Date: November 26, 2020 08:57AM

pettigrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No member of the First Presidency or Q12 will have
> done what Nelson asked members of the Church to
> do. I find that pretty shocking.

Hah! Welcome. You must be new to this scene.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 09:57AM

pettigrew Wrote:
> It's interesting - Nelson asked every members,
> globally, to make one GiveThanks social media post
> every day for the 7 days leading up to the
> American holiday known as Thanksgiving.

I’ve frequently wondered if Mormons who don’t live in the US must feel like second class members. But then it (re)occurs to me that Mormonism tends to foster gradations of status, even within the US.

> Nelson himself has only posted 3 times, so he has
> failed to do what he's asked members to do.

Do as I say, not as I do...

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 07:58AM

I don't have any social media accounts following the council to avoid living in a cyber world.

Date: November 26, 2020 09:00AM

Agreed. This is kinda the problem with continuing revelation. They're now telling me to do the opposite of what they told me to do before. I deleted my FB over a year ago and never got a Twitter. Thanks, Nelson. Your foresight is greatly appreciated and doesn't make me feel stupid at all.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 08:47AM

I find it interesting that a “Global Faith Leader” of a “worldwide” church would base his latest PR campaign on a purely American holiday.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 06:46AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
> ... base his latest PR campaign on a purely American holiday. >

Well, it's actually based on mormonism (following), something they prefer members do always.

It just comes out this time of year as part of a PR campaign: FOLLOW US, we're LDS. We do cold turkey. It's our gravy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 12:56PM

The church has always been about "Do as I say, not what I do". For some members, it's a deal-breaker because everyone is supposed to be emulating Christ or at least "trying to".

As a young ward clerk, the calling was a real eye opener to the smelly poop that oozes in the ward. A lot of dishonesty, fraud, lies and gossip flowed through the door as I was required to prepare monthly reports.

My stake and ward was very data-church report driven as I suspect most church units are. Home teaching reports were heavily pushed by the stake president. Next to priesthood holders with temple recommends, home teaching was considered to be the most stat next to sacrament attendance averages. High Priests always had a monthly average in the 80-90% range while elders would average 35-55%.

I learned the hard way that I was expected to give all high priests serving stake level callings "100%" home teaching credit whether they actually did their home teaching or not. So these arrogant air bags were given a free pass on their HT and poor Tony the elder working 2 jobs trying to earn a living was given a ppi "to get his sh$t together". I was there when the EQP was given his monthly hell report to get "his" elders to start doing their home teaching.

My family was assigned one of these "I'm too busy" stake calling home teachers. It didn't bother my Dad at all, but my TBM Mom felt that she was being cheated. She kept pressuring my Dad to tattle/complain (he was one of the HP group leader assistants) and I know that he was truthfully reporting that he was being "missed." Eventuallly, my Mom marched into the bishop's office and demanded a HT who would show up.

I wonder if the church even realizes that the lack of giving thanks from apostles are being noticed by ex members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 12:57PM by messygoop.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 02:10PM

THANK YOU***THANK YOU***THANK YOU***

There Y'all I gave thanks!!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 07:07PM

I'm so thankful for myself! so thankful for myself! Lawd I'm gorgeous! I'm just sooooo gooood!

(that's all I've seen on Fakebook)

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 08:33PM

The #givethanks social media bombardment during Thanksgiving week was nothing more than free advertising for LDS Inc. Members not only give 10% of their income to LDS Inc for the privilege of membership but also do the advertising for "the church" on their own dime (internet fees). No need to touch any of that $100 billion rainy day fund for advertising costs when members can promote church slogans on social media. Their "prophet" tells them what to post and they obey. Brilliant.

As far as "apostles" leading by example, why should they? They have no worries during the pandemic. They are tucked safely away in their spacious homes and retreats without any fear of losing their job and not being able to pay rent/mortgage. They have access to the best healthcare and don't have to pay for it. They're out of sight during these difficult times. You think they care about the members? Maybe they realize that giving thanks when members are losing jobs and going without is a little tone deaf.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.