Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 09:25PM

I wasn't sure in which #givethanks topic to include this, so I thought I'd just start another.

So, on day one, a TBM friend posted that he's thankful for a prophet. So, he's thankful for the guy who told him to be thankful. Ok...

A couple days later he posted that he was thankful for his parents. Usual MORmON happy crap about families, right? The funny thing is that later his sister blows a gasket and starts bashing him for stealing "her" post. What? Like two children can't be thankful for the same parents? I mean, that's like MORmON 101, right?

Apparently he used the same two pictures (then and now) and also closely copied her (thankful) words. And he hadn't posted anything for the couple days in between, so I guess he really was having a hard time finding stuff to be thankful for (although since then he's #give[n]thanks for his kids (so I guess he turned to page 2 of the MORmON 101 textbook).

What's the most ridiculous #givethanks post you've seen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 25, 2020 12:40AM

Tonight he’s getting theological: “#givethanks for temples. Imagine not having your family for eternity. Families are forever.”

My extended family is toxic, TBMs in particular. Glad I’m not stuck with them now, let alone forever. :)

I’m tempted to post the above on FB. Probably best to just ignore it though.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 11:01AM

Forever with my family? Give me outer darkness.

Date: November 28, 2020 12:39AM

+1

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:27PM

+1000. If I meet my parents in the next life, I doubt that I will have more than three words to say to them. And they won't be nice words.

Posted by: 1997resignee ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 03:11AM

One of my sisters made a facebook post about thanks/gratitude for the temple and how she misses the peace she feels while inside one. It made me recall my pre-mission endowment in the Dallas temple back in March 1988 in which one of my first thoughts was, "...hey, why are there money changers in the temple?" while getting/renting my baker's costume. Soon thereafter, while entering the changing room I mused "...why are lockers with functional locks needed in a temple?" You can only image what I was thinking when the actual endowment movie script was played (I think I started to feel guilty for thinking other religions deployed too much ceremony and vain repititions...). They really wanted to pound those signs, tokens, and penalities into each initiate, didn't they!

When I finally ventured back to the same temple a few years post-mission (circa August 1996) my first thought was..."hey, what happened to those peculiar "penalties" that used to follow the signs and tokens?" that accompanied a slew of other temple script revisions.

It's been 30 years since I returned from the Porto Portugal Mission and 23 years since I escaped and formally retired from the LDS cult. The past 23 years have been so much better than the first 30 (before my resignation). It would be nice if all of my siblings (1 older brother, 5 older sisters, and 1 younger sister) could see the LDS fiction for what it is; some of them have, but, some have not. At least not one single nephew or niece has wasted two years in LDS missionary servitude! I'd like to think that my LDS exodus helped them avoid the missionary daze.

None of that generation (children of my siblings) has ever mentioned sending in a name for a temple prayer roll; unfortunately, a couple of my sisters indulge in the thought that there is some value in such lists. I just ignore those comments and roll forward (and usually "hide" those facebook comments so as to reduce my annoyance and irritation of having that type of tripe associated with my FB account.

Happy thanksgiving - and may you all someday experience a lack of interest in all things LDS by the up and coming generations if the current generation is still stuck in the LDS rut!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 11:43AM

I think some Mormons confuse "creepy culty" feeling with "peaceful" feeling.

I was questioning why they removed the death penalties too when it happened. It was first hand proof they were modifying stuff all along.

Date: November 28, 2020 12:43AM

1997resignee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's been 30 years since I returned from the Porto
> Portugal Mission and 23 years since I escaped and
> formally retired from the LDS cult.

I missed going to Porto last Spring. I was supposed to present at a conference, but it was postponed due to Covid, and ultimately shifted to online. I've never been to Portugal, and was looking forward to it. :(

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 02:03PM

I've seen a lot of posts that are more braggy than thankful. I saw one with a CES friend of mine posting about how big his house is, and a picture of the 6 kids in front.

I've also seen some squabbles over who's the most special. Who's got the best spouse, one of my relatives decided to let his less prosperous brother know just how special it is to have a wonderful spouse and kids, he posted multiple pictures etc, but it was unkind because the less prosperous brother currently has a restraining order placed on him and lost visitation.

They had some words back and forth. Not good!

Date: November 28, 2020 12:49AM

It does seem to become a competition, who can one up the others, or get the most likes, etc.

Date: November 28, 2020 12:53AM

So, in my friend's last #givethanks he decided to get philosophical: he's thankful for...drum roll... the constitution! After make a couple of trite points about it, he pasted the entire constitution into his post. Sure to impress. Maybe the prophet he's thankful for will be able to "save" the constitution he's thankful for, and then he can be thankful for that too.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 11:30AM

I enjoyed the givethanks trolls that had people with blogs or videos giving thanks for leaving the mormon religion and how you can do it too. Those were pretty good as they started trending with the believers.

With inspiration from Rusty asking for the members to get hashtags to trend and use their facebook, instagram, twitter, etc to spread Jesus message ISN'T the kind of prophetic inspiration that seems meaningful to convert the planet.

Other than having a different story for the Christian opera the mormon numbers are still irrelevant and small to the Christianity Religious sphere of influence.

I personally get a kick out of hearing from the Christians that God cares about the United States.

No, whatever power or being or miracle that created the human race, increased brain size from our monkey brothers does not care about U.S. leaders or politics or really anything else about this world.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 02:12PM

Just after the church issued new guidelines about "reading" an article from the New Era as part of the 2 minute sacrament talk. A 12 year old Beehive had just speed read the article in connection to her "assigned" topic.

Next came the 12 year old deacon and he also began reading the same article. I immediately recognized the same blather being regurgitated and looked around to see if anyone else in the congregation had noticed. Yes, quite a few were making faces and shaking their heads in disbelief. The bishopric, however were oblivious until a large brother couldn't contain his angst.

This large stature brother uttered this long moan for almost 15 seconds. He sounded like a giant moo from a cow or whale that had been harpooned. It caused one of the bishopric to stand up and interrupt the young man in his reading of the article.

What the counselor was saying to the young man was inaudible, but the deacon would respond by turning around and speaking directly into the mic.

"I am almost done. Why should I read something else?"

Counselor began wildly flipping through the magazine until he found something else.

"No, I am not going to read that. It has nothing to do with _____ (I have since forgotten the topic, might have been faith). That's dumb. Why would I talk about ____ if my assigned topic was ______."

The counselor threw up his arms and gestured for the deacon to continue. The deacon admitted that he had lost his place and proceeded to reread the article.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 02:43PM

>>A couple days later he posted that he was thankful for his parents. Usual MORmON happy crap about families, right? The funny thing is that later his sister blows a gasket and starts bashing him for stealing "her" post. What? Like two children can't be thankful for the same parents? I mean, that's like MORmON 101, right?

There needs to be a word for something that is both ludicrous and funny at the same time.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 12:54PM

summer Wrote:
-
> There needs to be a word for something that is
> both ludicrous and funny at the same time.

--------------

Mormon?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 02:58PM

And.....just like that my FB feed is absolutely silent today.

Joy Joy Hallelujah! It's over!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 05:30PM

No worries. The "30 Days of [Christmas] Light" is surely coming. lol

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 04:02PM

... Don't read the stuff-Oh
You mean besides this one?

I rarely read or come across the stuff... Unless it's here-

"What's the most ridiculous #givethanks post you've seen?"

I really haven't seen any and could care less to see any more of these. They tend to bring me down and this is something we really can't allow to happen. However, I don't participate, so, there's always that. I prefer deeper thinkers.

Most of these people care greatly about small things. I could never go there. I never think about the stuff. I have bigger and better stuff to do,

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 03:51PM

And yet, here you are reading and commenting. I guess those bigger better things are on hold for a bit.

:)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 07:24PM

I for one am thankful that every LDS closing prayer has asked to take us to our homes in peace and safety. Damned if it didn't work .every. .single. .time.

I'm sa grateful. Think of all the times I could have in a car upside down in a ditch. Scary.

That and pop-up facial tissues. Did you ever have the popped up one fall back into the box, and you can't get a fingernail under anything to pull it back up again. You finally give up and grab a wad of tissues, Tragic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.