Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 02:04PM

But what about Herod? Scholars says that the authors of the Gospel made an error.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 02:13PM

Thanx for the laugh.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 03:34PM

George Lucas made an error. Han shot first.

Date: November 26, 2020 04:38PM

Star Wars is a pop culture gimmick. Everybody needs to understand the difference between a movie and The Bible. When that knowledge is established there will be ground for a professional dialogue and people will be more able to put forward arguments of quality.

Date: November 26, 2020 04:42PM

So where is your "argument of quality" ?

Date: November 26, 2020 04:50PM

The objective perception is that there is a fundamental difference between a science fiction movie and the Bible. Examine the items that are at hand for the discussion. It is obvious at a common sense level that there is a difference.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 05:02PM

So you are saying that Star Wars is true?

Date: November 26, 2020 05:07PM

We are observing two seperate events with different underlying processes. There is no need to contest the particularity in both items because their nature is given and tested through time.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:09PM

Yeah, I still don't believe Star Wars is literally true.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:12PM

That is a literal definition of truth. Now we are in the middle of a scientific discussion. Now we have a dialogue. This is how civilisation should look like.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:17PM

Well, at least we are past treating the Bible like anything other than elegant prose concealing demonstrable falsehoods. That's progress!

Date: November 27, 2020 01:32AM

My point was that the Bible is the Hero’s Journey of Joseph Campbell fame. Just like Star Wars, and in fact religion’s modern replacement Marvel Comics.

Caudia’s point is that the stories are made up but they are true. They aren’t historical or scientific, but they pre-date that kind of mainstream thinking.

I see Jesus as a re-packaged Krishna. I take exception to the harmful doctrines that grew up around it. To continue my riff from last week, Jesus isn’t the problem. It’s absolution based on the illusion of separation that is the problem. It assumes such a thing is desirable or even possible. The ancients put a lot of effort into understanding the concept of karma. I wouldn’t be too quick to brush it aside.

Laying up treasures in heaven is basically the Adrishta of Punya. Jesus was the Yogi of Jerusalem. Well, in the spirit of Yoda. The gospels are rehashed Vedanta. But religions printed their own currency for paying off bad karma. So what happens is followers die and find out the money’s no good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 02:19AM by bradley.

Date: November 27, 2020 01:58AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My point was that the Bible is the Hero’s
> Journey of Joseph Campbell fame. Just like Star
> Wars, and in fact religion’s modern replacement
> Marvel Comics.

That's an interesting statement, particularly coming immediately before your statement that the Bible stories are "true." Is it your belief that Marvel Comics are true too? That people accept them as such?

----------------------
> Caudia’s point is that the stories are made up
> but they are true. They aren’t historical or
> scientific, but they pre-date that kind of
> mainstream thinking.

I'm familiar with mythological thinking. It is, however, prehistoric and ended with the advent of collective and individual literacy--or history, in your words. What you really mean is "resonant," not "true;" the hero stories, whether processed by serious thinkers like Eliade or by popularizers like Campbell, are "true" only in the sense that people think they are archetypical of life. That does not make them factually "true."

-----------------------
> I see Jesus as a re-packaged Krishna. I take
> exception to the harmful doctrines that grew up
> around it.

Do you believe that the Jews were familiar with Krishna? There is no evidence of that; in fact the first to make that implicit comparison were the Greeks, whose "Christ" derives from the same Indo-European root as Krishna. There is no such concept, nor word, in Judaism. In fact, a God of judgment is the opposite of impersonal forces like karma.

-------------------
> The ancients put a lot of effort into
> understanding the concept of karma. I wouldn’t
> be too quick to brush it aside.

You use the word "ancients" like Hugh Nibley did: as a way of sounding wise without providing any falsifiable information like who those "ancients" actually were. And the ancients in India had nothing to do with the ancients in Palestine. The latter had no concept of karma, as is evident in the Bible itself.

---------------
> Laying up treasures in heaven is basically
> Adrishta Punya.

Except that the Indian faiths had no concept of heaven and the Jews had no concept of karma.

---------------
> Jesus was the Yogi of Jerusalem.
> Well, in the spirit of Yoda.

That again reads like Nibley when he'd fallen off the wagon.

Date: November 27, 2020 02:46AM

So you’re arguing for the existence of a historical Jesus? Because that would explain everything. He would have independently discovered the methods of meditation and discovery used by Indian adepts without any need to go to India. He would have learned the same things they did. When addressing a Jewish audience, he would have used their terminology.

Which raises the question, was Jesus actually Jewish, I mean, he was born a Jew but was entirely heretical. He had his own high level understanding of the Torah that challenged the Jewish power structure so they called him in for a court of love.

As to do I believe Star Wars is true, yes I believe it’s true. At least before George Lucas sold it to Disney. I also believe Rango is true, the issue with Amber Heard aside. We are all the hero of our own story. Maybe it’s a guy thing.

Date: November 27, 2020 02:49AM

You seriously don't know what you are talking about.

Date: November 27, 2020 03:26AM

But you are the one trying to convert me to Christ. May I continue? Thank you. Jesus would naturally have taught his Vedanta-like discoveries to his disciples and those became the gospels. I really haven’t been giving the guy enough credit.

Jesus taught that you can only trust what you can independently verify, but that the verification process is within you. So back to the topic. What of the Bible? It has some wonderful parts and some lame parts, all canonized by the council of Nicea. They left out books that didn’t fit their narrative so the Bible paints an incomplete picture. So, the Mormon proposal sounds plausible on the surface. As you probably know, it doesn’t pan out. What it means to me is that the gospels and apocrypha matter. The rest is fables.

Maybe I should start my own religion. You want to join?

Date: November 27, 2020 04:27AM

> But you are the one trying to convert me to
> Christ.

Uh no, I am not trying to convert you to Christ.

-------------------
> Jesus would
> naturally have taught his Vedanta-like discoveries
> to his disciples and those became the gospels.

Can you indicate which of Jesus's statements, assuming the NT got those right, reflect Vedanta views? And given the great variety of beliefs subsumed within the Vedanta, which of the Upanishads in particular are referring to?

Date: November 27, 2020 04:16AM

“You seriously don't know what you are talking about.”

Oh I think I do. After all this time. I do take some poetic license, but I’m starting to see. It’s all unfolding, what to do about me, what to do about this whole planet. It’s all going to be just fine. It was never going to not be fine.

This thing with the Christ, where to draw the lines, was a puzzle for me. Maybe not so much now. I write to think. That means not being understood or agreed with. It’s the point of fringe thought.

I should probably write to teach, which requires dialing things way back, but what fun is that? No, this is a different kind of place. Recovery from Mormonism, which takes us far afield. The problem is that Mormonism functions as a spiritual practice when it’s so bogus. Certainly that’s significant. It indicates in a scientific way that beliefs trump reality. I still really don’t like for the Mormons to be right, but they do have that. I wouldn’t do it their way.

Date: November 27, 2020 04:38AM

No, you don't know what you are talking about.

For example, you state that Jesus:

> would have independently discovered
> the methods of meditation and discovery used by
> Indian adepts without any need to go to India. He
> would have learned the same things they did. When
> addressing a Jewish audience, he would have used
> their terminology.

Can you indicate anything in the NT that indicated Jesus practiced or taught Indian-style meditation?

-----------------
> Which raises the question, was Jesus actually
> Jewish, I mean, he was born a Jew but was entirely
> heretical.

Judaism was immensely varied when Jesus lived. Virtually everything he said was taught by one or another of the various schools that were at the time contending. It was only when he became a threat to the power structure that he was condemned and yet even then it was as a blasphemous Jew and not as a gentile. That you view him as "entirely heretical" merely indicates that you don't know much about the religion of the day.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 01:58PM

Date: November 27, 2020 02:04PM

Smiley face blowing a kiss.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:22PM

Why should I give a shit what the buy bull says ?

Date: November 26, 2020 05:25PM

Because civil discource breaks the iron of tyranny. Every educated person can serve the truth. If we do our job and stay committed we will have a better debate climate.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:28PM

I would rather have a better climate debate.
And you have evaded answering the question like I knew you would.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:35PM

There is a natural time delay in every civilised debate. There is always a shift between topics. Your input is another perspective. We all have different objectives in our lives of reflexive thinking. The trait of tolerance is a civic virtue.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 05:43PM

The civil discourse to have is about how the critical content of the Bible is not supported by actual history and evidence. And how we as people and societies should distance ourselves and our cultures from the mistakes of history based around the Bible.

This is not to say that this discourse is to eliminate religion from people's lives, but that society needs to separate its member's religion from the operation of that society.

This doesn't seem to be the Bible discussion you wish to have.

Date: November 28, 2020 03:28AM

The state and church? Already separated. What is at stake is our capacity to have an opencand free discussion.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:22PM

The Bible can not be separated from men and every civilised citizen is obliged to participate in a useful debate around its content. There is a need for a general understanding. We all need to get involved in the task.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:44PM

So no one in India or China or Malaysia is a "civilized citizen?

Date: November 26, 2020 05:50PM

The world is steadily globalising. We have connectedness. Culture met on their own terms but there is one common denominator that is the pinnacle of everything and is the main referential system structure behind the change.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:53PM

Pass the croutons, please.

Date: November 26, 2020 05:58PM

The french kitchen is the best in the world. Food bring people together. No debate on a empty stomach.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 01:30AM

Cauda, you sound like an AI chatbot...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 01:30AM by Soft Machine.

Date: November 27, 2020 03:19AM

Yes. Your observation is spot on. I have choosen to develop a more modernist approach in my interaction with the world. The world is in a place that is stuck between epistemological superrealism and antirealism. The modernists tried to work inside the frame work of science and a concept about objective denominators. If people do not see the truth in the gospel I have to find another strategy to help more people to se knowledge as reference to objective truth. The truth in the Gospel is found in the dialogue between Jesus and Pilate.

Date: November 27, 2020 05:53PM

The truth of the dialogue between jesus and Pilate is this. We have no corroborating evidence for the claims of the dialogue. We have no evidence as to the author of the claims. We have no evidence that the author had any credible source for the claims.

The dialogue between Jesus and Pilate is a claim of faith, not fact.

Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing. --Scott Bakker

Date: November 27, 2020 06:28PM

Your passion makes you mix up truth and passion. What makes your opinion more true?

Date: November 27, 2020 06:31PM

Evidence.

Date: November 27, 2020 07:45PM

And that is a brilliant reposte.

Date: November 28, 2020 03:29AM

Concrete or abstract evidence?

Date: November 28, 2020 05:35AM

That depends. Are we talking about actual or abstract truth?

Date: November 28, 2020 06:11AM

What is the factual basis for your question?

Date: November 28, 2020 06:14AM

Dear Lot's Wife

Please. Do not answer my question. This is behaviour I am not proud of. My answer was not about the truth but about my ego.

Date: November 28, 2020 06:49AM

No worries. Just healthy debate.

Date: November 27, 2020 01:51AM

Isn’t retiring bad ideas the job of the grim reaper?

Did the Bible come from men or from God? If it came from God, whatever happens to it is His business. If it becomes irrelevant, that’s also His business. So why do you care?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.