Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 09:02PM

If Jesus hung around with the sick, infirmed , and socially unacceptable and not the upper and middle class of society, why would a profit of a church named after Jesus command it’s members to shun the socially unacceptable etc people.

Maybe someone could word this better. Just something that I always wondered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 09:14PM

Jesus only cares about fetuses nowadays. Oh, and guns.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 09:41AM

. . . and asking creepy questions behind closed doors.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:17PM

You’re full of it. He cares about fetuses, guns AND money. And not necessarily in that order.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:40PM

I stand corrected, NormaRae!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 14, 2020 11:49AM

Doing my part for fact checking. Haha.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 09:37PM

Jesus also cares deeply about real estate developers and money!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 10:20AM

Its the way of all things always. Good always gets corrupted.

Look at all the charities started by selfless people trying to help. Look them up ten years later when they are successful major businesses with fund raisers where only 10% goes to the cause and the head of the organization is pulling $200,000 a year or more. This is common. And religion is no different.

Your question is a good one. So this Christ of the N.T., the one who threw the moneychangers out of the temple . . . Why isn't he turning over the bank that holds the 120 billion dollars in a rage? Why is Jesus always looking into your wallet instead of your heart? Why does it take so much money to get into the CK?

Yes. Why Mormons, why?????

Man made God and God is very useful to man. Period.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 11:35AM

“Why isn't he turning over the bank that holds the 120 billion dollars in a rage?”

He’s putting together a posse

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 12:47PM

As a serious answer, a great deal of it hinges on the temple phenomenon. The temple feature formally sets Mormons apart- and hence superior- in ways for which other religions just don't have parallels. Well, maybe Scientology. The temple makes people feel they are of a different spiritual class, and that merges with social exclusivity.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 08:30PM

I think it depends what the socially unacceptable person did to become unacceptable. If they molested a child or robbed a bank or murdered someone, they should be shunned then, and ostracised, if for no reason other than to protect others from them. There are also lesser wrong-doings that justify lower levels of ostracising others for justified reasons. The problem doesn't come from the fact that some people get shunned or ostracised. Kicking people out or punishing them can be a good thing for everyone when people present a danger to others. Where the problem comes from is that mormon church rules are really badly screwed-up. Church leaders will trust child molesters with your children while shunning others for violating the word of wisdom. It's everything else about the religion that is screwed up. But innocent people should be protected from bad people. The mormon churh often punishes and ostracises people for things that are not wrong, or that are wrong, but not for the same reasons that the church says they are wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2020 08:35PM by azsteve.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 07:15PM

I would say that Religion seems to fit in better with the upper classes. They have a higher rate of traditional family structures which Christianity celebrates, and less reliance on the bottle. The upper classes have more leisure time to spend at church, they have jobs that give them sundays off. The underdogs are too busy working to be interested in these sedentary noble yet trivial pursuits.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 06:15PM

As a general trend, religiosity decreases when wealth increases. Your hypothesis seems exactly backward against the known data...

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 09:05PM

I was raised in a fanatical white shirt wearing, right hand sacrament taking, rule following to the minute detail family. When I finally read the New Testament, I was flabbergasted that the protagonist was a laid back dude who talked about love, while the bad guys were the ones obsessed with the rules.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 04:15PM

If you're one who is wondering why Mormons do conflicting things, please stand in the queue with the rest of us. Also, while standing in line, please wear a mask and maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet. Or 1.8 metres, if you're a godless Canadian.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 07:53PM

My favorite question,"Why do you sing the praises of a man who abused his power to cuckold his followers by having his way with their wives and raping their teenage daughters as young as 14?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 07:54PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: November 30, 2020 08:01PM

I guess I mean, why name your church with the name Jesus Christ and not follow the teachings, or followings of Jesus. And thanks to the posters that find other hypocritical actions of the church.

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 03:25AM

They got the memo wrong.

Someone misinterpreted it, and they thought it said "Act as Jesus Wood", so they just sit there, as wood would.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 01:43PM

First..
schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite question,"Why do you sing the praises
> of a man who abused his power to cuckold his
> followers by having his way with their wives and
> raping their teenage daughters as young as 14?"

Then..
moremanynli Wrote:
> They got the memo wrong.
>
> Someone misinterpreted it, and they thought it
> said "Act as Jesus Wood", so they just sit there,
> as wood would.

Joseph Smith acted with what he believed using his holy wood!

Perv!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 02:00PM

Would you seriously expect a T B M to give you an honest answer?

wondering Wrote:
> If Jesus hung around with the sick, infirmed , and
> socially unacceptable and not the upper and middle
> class of society, why would a profit of a church
> named after Jesus command it’s members to shun
> the socially unacceptable etc people.
>
> Maybe someone could word this better. Just
> something that I always wondered.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 10:30AM

The rules of logic do not apply.
Logic and reason are, in fact, enemies of belief.
The One True Church therefore requires logical inconsistency.

Simple as that.

And Wondering is cursed with logic and reason, so wonders.

Think about it:
with their penchant for specialness and exclusivity, and delight in condemnation, if Jesus came to SLC today, Mormons would be the first ones to nail him up. (Especially if he was a little tan.)

I could provide the theoretical underpinnings of why but that's boring

Life Elevated indeed! ;-D

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 11:16AM

The rules of logic do not inspire. Replace "the inquisitors" with "the brethren" and the Jesuits with The Mormons.

""A precious piece of information, notwithstanding your 'not that.' I ask you, why should the Inquisitors and the Jesuits of your imagination live but for the attainment of 'mean material pleasures?' Why should there not be found among them one single genuine martyr suffering under a great and holy idea and loving humanity with all his heart? Now let us suppose that among all these Jesuits thirsting and hungering but after 'mean material pleasures' there may be one, just one like my old Inquisitor, who had himself fed upon roots in the wilderness, suffered the tortures of damnation while trying to conquer flesh, in order to become free and perfect, but who had never ceased to love humanity, and who one day prophetically beheld the truth; who saw as plain as he could see that the bulk of humanity could never be happy under the old system, that it was not for them that the great Idealist had come and died and dreamt of His Universal Harmony. Having realized that truth, he returned into the world and joined—intelligent and practical people. Is this so impossible?"

"Joined whom? What intelligent and practical people?" exclaimed Alyosha quite excited. "Why should they be more intelligent than other men, and what secrets and mysteries can they have? They have neither. Atheism and infidelity is all the secret they have. Your Inquisitor does not believe in God, and that is all the Mystery there is in it!""
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8578/8578-h/8578-h.htm

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 11:18AM

"why would a profit of a church named after Jesus command it’s members to shun the socially unacceptable etc people."

Do you have examples?

Date: December 18, 2020 10:04AM

If a homeless man put a tent on church or temple property the man would be removed but not have the missionaries try to get him in the church. I doubt the missionaries would go to a homeless shelter to look for new members. I doubt missionaries would target prostitutes for membership either. They would shun people with aids and those profound poor that have disease. There is no money in so many people. In essence ignoring or avoiding these people is shunning. Now the sick, poor, social outcasts are who Jesus hung around with because there was value in the disadvantaged. Whether Jesus is real or not, tscc names their church of Jesus and acts nothing like it. False advertising. Red flag.

Why not name it The Mormon Church. That would exude honesty. It is all about following a despicable man without question. Go for it.

But why name the church with the name Jesus when you have nothing in common with the person which exudes total dishonesty?

When does tscc hold Christmas Eve programs or Easter sunrise services, or acknowledge wearing of crosses. Can’t have that it would point to Jesus. Why tout families are forever when only cult families are forever, break up anyone who doesn’t tow the line?

Whew off my soapbox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 10:25AM by wondering.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.