Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 01:02AM

Poor Mormon archaeologists. New discoveries are constantly being made and they can't anything -- no matter how hard they look.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/29/sistine-chapel-of-the-ancients-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest

One of the world’s largest collections of prehistoric rock art has been discovered in the Amazonian rain forest.

Hailed as “the Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, archaeologists have found tens of thousands of paintings of animals and humans created up to 12,500 years ago across cliff faces that stretch across nearly eight miles in Colombia.

Their date is based partly on their depictions of now-extinct ice age animals, such as the mastodon, a prehistoric relative of the elephant that hasn’t roamed South America for at least 12,000 years. There are also images of the palaeolama, an extinct camelid, as well as giant sloths and ice age horses.

These animals were all seen and painted by some of the very first humans ever to reach the Amazon. Their pictures give a glimpse into a lost, ancient civilisation. Such is the sheer scale of paintings that they will take generations to study.

The discovery was made last year, but has been kept secret until now as it was filmed for a major Channel 4 series to be screened in December: Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon.

The site is in the Serranía de la Lindosa where, along with the Chiribiquete national park, other rock art had been found. The documentary’s presenter, Ella Al-Shamahi, an archaeologist and explorer, told the Observer: “The new site is so new, they haven’t even given it a name yet.”

She spoke of the excitement of seeing “breathtaking” images that were created thousands of years ago.

The discovery was made by a British-Colombian team, funded by the European Research Council. Its leader is José Iriarte, professor of archaeology at Exeter University and a leading expert on the Amazon and pre-Columbian history.

He said: “When you’re there, your emotions flow … We’re talking about several tens of thousands of paintings. It’s going to take generations to record them … Every turn you do, it’s a new wall of paintings.

“We started seeing animals that are now extinct. The pictures are so natural and so well made that we have few doubts that you’re looking at a horse, for example. The ice-age horse had a wild, heavy face. It’s so detailed, we can even see the horse hair. It’s fascinating.”

The images include fish, turtles, lizards and birds, as well as people dancing and holding hands, among other scenes. One figure wears a mask resembling a bird with a beak.

The site is so remote that, after a two-hour drive from San José del Guaviare, a team of archaeologists and film-makers trekked on foot for around four hours.

They somehow avoided the region’s most dangerous inhabitants. “Caimans are everywhere, and we did keep our wits about us with snakes,” Al-Shamahi said, recalling an enormous bushmaster – “the deadliest snake in the Americas with an 80% mortality rate” – that blocked their jungle path. They had been delayed getting back, and it was already pitch black.

They had no choice but to walk past it, knowing that, if they were attacked, there was little chance of getting to a hospital. “You’re in the middle of nowhere,” she said. But it was “100%” worth it to see the paintings, she added.

As the documentary notes, Colombia is a land torn apart after 50 years of civil war that raged between Farc guerrillas and the Colombian government, now with an uneasy truce in place. The territory where the paintings have been discovered was completely off limits until recently and still involves careful negotiation to enter safely.

Al-Shamahi said: “When we entered Farc territory, it was exactly as a few of us have been screaming about for a long time. Exploration is not over. Scientific discovery is not over but the big discoveries now are going to be found in places that are disputed or hostile.”

The paintings vary in size. There are numerous handprints and many of the images are on that scale, be they geometric shapes, animals or humans. Others are much larger.

Al-Shamahi was struck by how high up many of them are: “I’m 5ft 10in and I would be breaking my neck looking up. How were they scaling those walls?”

Some of the paintings are so high they can only be viewed with drones.

Iriarte believes that the answer lies in depictions of wooden towers among the paintings, including figures appearing to bungee jump from them.

He added: “These paintings have a reddish terracotta colour. We also found pieces of ochre that they scraped to make them.”

Speculating on whether the paintings had a sacred or other purpose, he said: “It’s interesting to see that many of these large animals appear surrounded by small men with their arms raised, almost worshipping these animals.”

Observing that the imagery includes trees and hallucinogenic plants, he added: “For Amazonian people, non-humans like animals and plants have souls, and they communicate and engage with people in cooperative or hostile ways through the rituals and shamanic practices that we see depicted in the rock art.”

Al-Shamahi added: “One of the most fascinating things was seeing ice age megafauna because that’s a marker of time. I don’t think people realise that the Amazon has shifted in the way it looks. It hasn’t always been this rainforest. When you look at a horse or mastodon in these paintings, of course they weren’t going to live in a forest. They’re too big. Not only are they giving clues about when they were painted by some of the earliest people – that in itself is just mind-boggling – but they are also giving clues about what this very spot might have looked like: more savannah-like.”

Iriarte suspects that there are many more paintings to be found: “We’re just scratching the surface.” The team will be back as soon as Covid-19 allows.

Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon starts at 6.30pm on Channel 4 on 5 December. The rock art discovery is in episode 2, on 12 December

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 01:08AM

Fascinating.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 01:17AM

Literally wonderful!!

P.S. This is NOT the Colombia I saw and experienced when I was there. ;)

Date: November 30, 2020 01:20AM

That makes sense. After all, you were too busy fighting for the Revolution.

Date: November 30, 2020 01:38AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That makes sense. After all, you were too busy
> fighting for the Revolution.

I wasn't fighting for anyone. I was there to do research on newly constructed housing for very low income people, to see if what they were doing at the university and in the field could be applicable in any way to American low-income needs.

I WAS doing my best to stay alive--which was definitely not something to be taken for granted....which meant, once someone explained the Colombian facts of life to me, that my pre-planned train trip across the Colombian Andes was immediately scuttled.

Date: November 30, 2020 02:29AM

Must you disabuse me of the image of you dressed as a FARC guerilla?

Date: November 30, 2020 02:53AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Must you disabuse me of the image of you dressed
> as a FARC guerilla?

Yup!!

:D

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 01:56AM

Soon enough Fat Dan Peterson will run* with this, claiming to have startling new evidence for pre-Columbian horses.

*used as a metaphor, since Dan can't literally run due to his grotesque corpulence

Date: November 30, 2020 02:30AM

"Grotesque corpulence."

Brilliant!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 12:56PM

"Iriarte suspects that there are many more paintings to be found: “We’re just scratching the surface.”

That's the money line for TBM apologists. They won't stick with more paintings being found, they'll take it to "...scratching the surface of finding evidence all over the Americas to prove Nephites/Jaredites."

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 02:44PM

Amazing. The pictures surprised me as I don't expect that kind of preservation in an open air site. One picture show's a bit of an overhang, but still. It makes me go hmmmmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 02:48PM by Richard the Bad.

Date: November 30, 2020 02:48PM

I wondered about that.

Would ochre or similar substances last that long in the weather and light?

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 02:51PM

I've never see it do so. Particularly not in the rain. I'm also curious about the uniformity in the horizontal lining of the pictographs. That stylization seems very modern.

Date: November 30, 2020 02:56PM

I'd think there would need to be some sort of extremely strong adhesive added, which should be evident in chemical analysis.

But fascinating in any case.

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 09:13PM

Typical paint (ochre) binders in prehistory were fat and blood. Neither of which are well suited for long term preservation. Even at 10k, in a dry environment, they are usually only perceptible with enhancing techniques (infrared photography, photogrammetry, D-stretch, etc.). While I have no problem with people creating rock art at this location, at that time frame, the clarity of the images and the formality of the panels is, quite frankly, hard for me to except without more information.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:15PM

Yes, this stuff is always a detective game, which is the fun of it, as you know.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:16PM

"accept". A problem with not being logged in. But kinda Freudian.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:17PM

Archaeologists: dangerously close to people who can spell.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:23PM

Lot's Wife: Dangerously close to making me shoot wine out of my nose.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:30PM

Just as long as the wine adheres fast to the wall and there is no subsequent spalling.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 10:47PM

That red wine stain on the rug will last forever.

Date: December 02, 2020 12:02AM

That's why cave dwellers can't have nice things.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:20PM

Also, the continuity of the images is so perfect. There hasn't been any rock spalling in 12.5k years?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 10:29AM

Hard to believe all this. How can you trust the kind of people who will date anything!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 03:15PM

So which animals were the cureloms and cumons? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 30, 2020 11:33PM

Maybe they are the four penguiraffes watching television in the lower photo. Just to the left of center. I can see where JS would have no idea what to call them.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 12:32AM

The ones that look like hands are actually pictures of cumoms.

According to the BOM, "they [Jaredites] had horses, and asses, and there were elephants and cureloms and cumoms; all of which were useful unto man, and more especially the elephants and cureloms and cumoms." [Ether 9:19]

Cumoms were especially helpful because their hides could be very easily made into gloves.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 11:51AM

Ah yes. Remember when Elder Ricardo Montalban used to advertise the Chrysler Moriancumer, with its fine Cumom leather?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 09:53PM

He could have played a Jaredite king: “Now I will have my revenge, Shiz!”

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 11:55PM

This makes me angry, not at the discovery but at how I would have digested it once upon a time. Mormon beliefs are an insult to the many many generations of human ancestors that its truth claims imply never existed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.