Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 11:43AM

There I was, nineteen years old, filled with hope, determination, good intentions and a lifetime of indoctrination, knocking on doors in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. It was summer and I was sweating in my you’ll-need-good-warm-clothes-up-there-in-Canada, anointed-messenger-of-the-Lord, three-piece wool suit and one-piece nylon garments.

We rang a doorbell. A woman’s voice came from an open window. “What’re ya selling?”

“Um, we’re not selling anything. We’re missionaries from the Chu…”

“So you’re selling religion.”

“No, we’re giving it away.”

She laughed. “Nah, it always costs something. You’ll realize that someday. Which church?”

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

She laughed harder. “Mormons! Oh, it’ll cost a LOT. Not interested, boys.”

Years later I did realize she was right. Mormonism costs a lot. Not just a slice of your income, but also a big chunk of your life and mental wellbeing.

What did you pay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:00PM

It’s like overpaying for a full honeypot at an auction and finding out it’s not really honey.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:01PM

Sounds like that Lady was more inspired than that Lords announced messengers lol...and she didn't even have the priesthood, for inspiration.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:02PM

Phoney Moroni Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like that Lady was more inspired than that
> Lords announced messengers lol...and she didn't
> even have the priesthood, for inspiration.

*Announced=annointed

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:22PM

Something about "announced messengers" works for me. Cooking oil aside, they get announced and you better obey.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 06:55AM

I prefer the Cheryl Option: they get announced and you reach for the hose pipe ;-)

You're right, though, a bit like GBH, "they are announced as such".

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:03PM

A lot of wasted hours but in my case $0.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:56PM

They just don't "value" their members/donors.

Get into financial despair and the church offers very little help or support. A bunch of greedy bastards.

[You can tell that I resent their 100B+ rainy day fund]

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 04:06PM

2020: Is it raining now?
TSCC: No.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 10:31PM

Should I pray for moisture ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 01:58PM

The cost to my social development was through the roof from being BIC in a TBM to the max family and then the mission to rob me of the last bits of my self.

The Mormons have it backwards. The natural man is not an enemy to God. Their God, their church, is an enemy to the natural man. . . . as are all gods.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 04:01PM

Mosiah 3:19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

Hey, who created the Natural Man? And "why" was the Natural Man created, or allowed to spill into existence? Who's in charge?

If ghawd is in charge, then one can assume that ghawd either created or allowed to be created The Natural Man.

If ghawd created the Natural Man, why would ghawd create his own enemy?

And if ghawd simply allowed the Natural Man to be created, who was the creator, and why was the antipathy towards ghawd 'built-in' to the Natural Man? What did that Natural Man creator know that maybe we should be wondering about?

Whoever or whatever the Natural Man is, we all apparently start off in the Natural Man state, and the Natural Man has come a long way pretty much on his own, fighting religious dogma practically every step of the way.

If it weren't for the Natural Man, mormons would still be wearing one-piece, wrist to ankle garments, like good little do-bees, instead of heathenish garments designed to let mormons blend in with all the other Natural Men & Women.

I'm beginning to be suspicious of religion...

Posted by: FedupFedEx ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 07:45PM

Cost? The cost is blissfully ignorant blind eyes receiving their sight and a good heart waking up full of pain and betrayal to false beliefs and cover-ups. I won't ever blame the lay members for my frustrations. Some members are the best people on earth EVER ,which none of us can deny, because we were those people. When I was struggling to feed my family, sister "Judy" knocks on the door with a bag full of packaged meats, "My freezer went out and you were the first person I thought of, can you use this meat?", or when the "Smiths'" house caught fire and they needed help, we were all there, men working to fix things/remove debris, women providing lunches and helping with small children, that's the true church from Acts 4. Now, I feel like an Acts 4 refugee, but maintain hope in Psalm 68:6.

Posted by: jubhut ( )
Date: December 01, 2020 11:18PM

The summer of 1970 I was in Saskatoon about 3 hours south of Prince Albert paired with a busybody zone leader. One morning he informed me that we had to pack and go up to Prince Albert because the Elders there were having a problem with “evil spirits”. We get there and meet Elder Looney Tunes and Companion, fortunately I get paired up with the normal one and am told to hit the streets while my zone leader companion “counsels” Elder Looney Tunes. Elder Normal and I seriously discussed taking the car to Lac LaRonge for some fishing but it was too far away. We spent the day wandering around Prince Albert wondering what in the hell we were doing there. My zone leader companion must have performed an exorcism or something because everything was fine when we returned to the apartment. The cost....wasting two years of my life offering something nobody wanted while dealing with ever increasing levels of Mormon weirdness.

Date: December 02, 2020 01:03AM

I was in the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mission 1971-73 under Nelo the Liar. We might've crossed paths.

Posted by: jubhut ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 03:39AM

Ahhh yes, Bernie Madoff Jr., NR is infamous here in Arizona for his financial shenanigans. I was there from 1970-72 under his dictatorship.

Date: December 02, 2020 04:53PM

I was assigned to the mission home for a while and got to see him without his facade. Creeped me out. I also witnessed his "inspired ideas" that even a naive punk like me could see were stupid, like the time he decided to transfer half of all the companion pairs at once, then transferred the remaining half the next week. Stuff like that, and him using the claimed spirit of discernment to accuse me of things I didn't do, and him lying to me about lying to my parents about the severity of my health problem helped nudge me down the road out of the church. Jerks like this are chosen by God? Yeah, right. Oh, not just a jerk but also a criminal? Perfect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.