Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 01:31PM

It is a very short list.

The Book of Mormon - Joseph Smith Jr.'s love child with God.
Polygamy - Brigham Young's love child with God.

The Word of Wisdom (modern version) is Heber Grant's love child with God but could be changed or even invalidated (modern version) given its history.

Temple is a work in progress. Every leader's love child with God.

I think I understand how The Book of Mormon will never die but polygamy? Would repudiating it invalidate the apostolic prophetic succession? I think so.

The Book of Mormon (AKA God cursed skin) and polygamy make up what I believe is the core of things LDS Corp will never repudiate. What about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 01:36PM

They know what happened to the Community of Christ when they repudiated the "unique" doctrines. They don't want to suffer the same fate.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 02:11PM

They have to slowly tiptoe away from their “unique” doctrines. If they move too quickly, they’ll alienate the long term, tithe paying members. If they don’t move at all, conversion and retention numbers will be bleak.

Date: December 23, 2020 02:54PM

Their brand, if it looks like all the others will just fade away. I doubt they will do that. They are more like The Roman Catholic Church than the little chapel down the road. They probably aspire to be like the Pope in Rome.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 02:28PM

Many of them don't want to change anyway. They are quite satisfied with the status quo.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 01:46PM

The Book of Mormon and cursed skin, something wrong with that?

C'mon Man! (some old guy said)

Why why bring up something that's been fine from the start?

Repudiate repudiate, I'll show YOU repudiate..

Just you wait till your father gets home, repudiate.. well I never..

Geeze.. this generation..

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 02:42PM

The Book Of Mormon will not be repudiated, but it will not be emphasized or put in the spotlight because it's such a pile of what a certain SLCabbie would call "bull pucky" - and the internet shines an unwelcome light on such things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 02:42PM by Soft Machine.

Date: December 23, 2020 02:51PM

I can see its "deemphasis" being a small little group of people only and some kind of "true gospel" history of the Ancient Americas where the chosen are a tiny footnote for the faithful of these "promised lands" they are trying to shoehorn into real verified history.

They might or might not edit the actual book when they change their narrative to be a scattering of tribes from peoples that filled the New World from ocean to ocean.

They will keep it and it will be one of their small things that builds testimonies. I watched their Book of Mormon movie about Ammon because someone said it was great. It made a king into a small tribe's leader. Nothing of the 60s movie epics buildings and sets.

No 10 Commandments now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 02:52PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 03:00PM

I doubt that they will ever be able to repudiate their racism, and will likely just continue along the same tack, and keep making up ridiculous stories about why they practiced it for so many years. My question is more, like, Are there any general authorities who wish that they could find a way to repudiate it? Or are they still racists at heart?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 03:02PM

Depends on your definition of "repudiated". The Book of Abraham has not been officially repudiated, but it is never mentioned over the pulpit, or in lesson manuals anymore. I would not be astonished if eventually the Standard Works get a makeover, and without actually using the word repudiate, the BoA manages to somehow get left out.

They have already effectively repudiated the name "Mormon Church". The true believers get very defensive if you dare use that name now. Angel Moroni statues are becoming less common on LDS temples. I thing what LDS inc is doing to the BoM is a very slow motion version of what they have already done to the BoA.

Date: December 23, 2020 04:21PM

Well the Mormons I know and love quote the BoM all the time and it comes up all the time.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 27, 2020 06:18AM

Everyone over the age of about 35 grew up when the BoM was a very big deal. Until Nelson made the name change of LDS Inc and worked very hard to make it stick, the BoM was at least a medium big deal.

Now you don't hear much about it over the pulpit, native Americans are not referred to as Lamanites, GA talks don't mention it much, and GA talks are now the main, almost exclusive source of local ward talks.

I don't think the BoM gets a lot of coverage in lesson manuals, though it clearly gets some. I am expecting that to decrease, until the BoM is simply ignored 50 years from now, like the BoA is now.

And in 50 years all those BoM quoters you know now will be dead or close to it. As will I, so I will never find out if I am right about this.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 27, 2020 06:36AM

That all makes sense to me. But is there any attractive power in the conference talks? I think not. When I was teaching, I found those somnolent speeches irredeemable. If the church thinks that fare will satiate people's hunger for doctrine and inspiration, it will be a long 50 years.

Date: January 01, 2021 08:10PM

I disagree. My kids were hassled by Christans on their missions for knowing more about their book than the bible. They are all back just within the last month.

Date: January 01, 2021 08:13PM

Congratulations on the returning Berries.

Date: January 04, 2021 03:40PM

Thanks. I'm extremely depressed today because they all left to return to college yesterday. Even with months and months of empty nesting it still seems like their echoes will drive me to tears.

Date: January 04, 2021 03:43PM

I'm sure it would be really tough.

Go visit them for a nice dinner? Send some goodies? There have to be ways of showing your love and concern in gestures to them that are secretly, actually, things you do for yourself.

Date: January 07, 2021 10:25AM

Thanks. I sent some things to them!

Posted by: Shugden Rapids ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 05:02PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends on your definition of "repudiated". The
> Book of Abraham has not been officially
> repudiated, but it is never mentioned over the
> pulpit, or in lesson manuals anymore. I would not
> be astonished if eventually the Standard Works get
> a makeover, and without actually using the word
> repudiate, the BoA manages to somehow get left
> out.
>
> They have already effectively repudiated the name
> "Mormon Church". The true believers get very
> defensive if you dare use that name now. Angel
> Moroni statues are becoming less common on LDS
> temples. I thing what LDS inc is doing to the BoM
> is a very slow motion version of what they have
> already done to the BoA.

Nelson was complaining about the word Mormon thirty years ago. Hinckley told him off about it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 09:28PM

That is some seriously sad shizz.

She's workin' hard for the money.

She found a few facts she could twist into a comforting choice and immediately gave up further learning.

Date: December 24, 2020 01:47PM

I was extremely saddened by this especially since my daughter liked it.

The fact that LDS Corp doesn't even train them but like their temple just doesn't care to even brainwash them with something to prop up their shelves.

Like hearing Bednar claim there where no homosexuals in his church, each member is on their own to find their "solution" to the multiple problems in Mormonism.

It doesn't matter much how much Mormonism is a scam, Mormon leaders just adjust the nobs and push buttons to keep the organization going as much as possibly consistent with their history while lipsticking this pig of an organization with Jesusification.

They aren't going to change anything short of empty chapels in their heartland or government agents disassembling their prejudices.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 04:57PM

Homosexuality. My ONE POINT or my most important point about their false teachings. Even when times are rough and I think that maybe,just maybe there is some truth there and I could go back and it would bring me comfort, I can't DENY my own experiences. I don't need anyone else to tell me why they are so dead wrong about homosexuality.

And no matter what my "husband" put me through, I am willing to understand why all this happened. It was here on this board that I figured out who was at fault where gay/straight marriages are concerned and, here some 36 years later, gays are still marrying straights. But then again, some of the straight guys aren't what I want to spend my life with.

But they will NEVER repudiate their teachings about gays. They change the words a little, but they have even gotten WORSE about their attitudes than they were in 1983.

Date: January 04, 2021 06:17PM

cl2 Wrote:
> But they will NEVER repudiate their teachings
> about gays.

I think you might be right but there are many Mormons I know who support gay marriage and haven't been kicked out.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 01:37PM

Never in my lifetime will I see them say it is okay for gays to marry. I still read about so many gays getting married to straights.

I did pay a high price, as did my kids and my husband, for our experiment, but I do believe we've come to a happy medium after all we went through. It would be nice if future members of the church can't learn from our lives--all of those of us who have ended up in these marriages/divorces.

Date: January 05, 2021 02:07PM

Not to mention heterosexual marriages like my parents.

I was watching Tiger King last night and I was explaining to my wife how there is a big market in personal ownership for exotic pets. It becomes obsessive compulsive for some people and it dawned upon me that me parents were collectors of children.

They had 10 and bought two more that my mother horribly verballing and emotionally abused and my father sexually molested.

My parents love a menagerie. They had one before they got too old to pay for it. I grew up with an assortment of pets. I don't want animals possibly for growing up with so many. But my parents like to collect living things. They should have never married and reproduced given their proclivities and problems. But the church.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 02:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> ...a few facts she could twist into a
> comforting choice and immediately gave up further
> learning.

That's how Mormon apologetics works. Provide a teaspoon of truth mixed in a barrel of nonsense so confused Mormons will feel like their concerns have been put to rest and the can go back to being loyal to the church.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 23, 2020 10:56PM

MONEY.

The Mormon cult will never repudiate the Law of Tithing

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 02:34PM

Others:

- You need the church

- You are broken and unworthy

- Only the church can fix you

- The leaders are divinely directed

- The leaders are never wrong

- Obey the leaders

- Never question the leaders

- Pay tithing

- Indoctrinate your children

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 03:10PM

They'll never drop tithing. Never.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 06:26PM

Great Salt Lake?
Sun Tunnels?
Spiral Jetty?
Brine Shrimp harvest?
The annual Deer Hunt?

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 24, 2020 07:29PM

Whatever it takes to keep making money and launder investment accounts to help secure as many $100B (billion) hidden hedge funds as possible.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03/07/lds-church-discloses/

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-mormon-church-amassed-100-billion-it-was-the-best-kept-secret-in-the-investment-world-11581138011

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 26, 2020 10:22PM

TITHING

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 06:36PM

Specifically, green Jello.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 09:39PM

They can't repudiate anything, because that would lead to the deduction that there is no such thing as prophetic power, and that is the fundamental dogma of the church. So yes, they can "clarify" and obfuscate and gaslight and stop quoting, but they can never outright declare that such and such doctrine was never the will of God.

Look what they did with the Priesthood ban. They never said that the source documents were wrong, or that later prophets were mistaken. They bullsh!tted their way through that with "we don't fully understand" and all that. They can never say "we were wrong".

Date: January 04, 2021 06:19PM

slskipper Wrote:
> They can never say
> "we were wrong".

True. I guess I mistitled this thread.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 11:56AM

-Missionary work

We all know that it's about indoctrinating the missionary to stay in the church and even less about teaching the gospel.

Date: January 05, 2021 02:09PM

I can't think of many religions who would repudiate converts. It is more a given that they will never stop hassling people to join. Other organizations rely upon their perceived merits so I think you are correct. The doctrine of "missionary work" will never die.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 03:24PM

Tithing.

Everything else is open for "continuous revelation". They will give up Elohim and Jehova before giving up tithing. Money is the god of the church. It is the one, eternal law they have.

Edit note: same answer, now presented with 93% more punch!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 04:07PM by Void K. Packer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.