Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 07:04PM

In another thread, about woke 'cancel culture' calling out STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) programs as 'white man's math', the first response was that it was a 'racist thread'.

My response,

STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and math) are not racist.
They're the opposite of racist. They're ANTI-Racist.

There's no such thing as 'white math' or 'black math' or 'new math'. It's pronounced, math.

There's no such thing as 'white science' or 'black science' or 'Asian Science' or 'male science' or 'female science'.

Science/Math/Engineering/Technology doesn't give a shit about your "identity" or your 'feelings'.

We're all humans.

A lot more closely related to each other than we are to Chimpanzees and Bonobos, even if Eurasians are 2% Neanderthal and Asians are an additional 4% Denisovan.

That just means that if we were able to produce fertile offspring through interbreeding with other 'sub species' of humans, then they were not different species. Because the meaning of the word, species, includes being able to produce fertile offspring through interbreeding.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, like Tigers and Lions, which can produce fertile Lady Ligers, but male Ligers are all sterile.
So perhaps we were one of those exceptions, a fertile hybrid, which is how we wound up with Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA in our DNA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 07:59PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 07:25PM

If you ask the average person on the street to name a famous female scientist in the hard sciences, who would they name? Marie Curie, and who else?

It's disingenuous to say that STEM fields don't care about your gender or race. When I was in high school and college back in the 70s, my science textbooks were a sea of white, male faces. Yes, things are changing, but it's been a long hard climb.

Even now, the proportion of female to male undergraduates at Cal Tech is 41% to 59% (with the faculty ratio almost exactly the same.) At MIT, it's 46% to 54%.

Date: December 28, 2020 07:56PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you ask the average person on the street to
> name a famous female scientist in the hard
> sciences, who would they name? Marie Curie, and
> who else?
>
> It's disingenuous to say that STEM fields don't
> care about your gender or race. When I was in high
> school and college back in the 70s, my science
> textbooks were a sea of white, male faces. Yes,
> things are changing, but it's been a long hard
> climb.
>
> Even now, the proportion of female to male
> undergraduates at Cal Tech is 41% to 59% (with the
> faculty ratio almost exactly the same.) At MIT,
> it's 46% to 54%.

I'm not saying the fields do care.
I'm saying math doesn't care what sex you are or what race you are. That's the great thing about it. 2+2=4 no matter what. If your race or age factored into it, then I don't want you giving me change when I go to buy a burger.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 03:01PM

>> "If your race or age factored into it, then I don't want you giving me change when I go to buy a burger."

It sounds like you're saying YOUR race and age are fine, its everyone else's that would cause the problem regarding correct change. You're a white male, correct?

Just sayin.

Date: December 29, 2020 03:06PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> >> "If your race or age factored into it, then I
> don't want you giving me change when I go to buy a
> burger."
>
> It sounds like you're saying YOUR race and age are
> fine, its everyone else's that would cause the
> problem regarding correct change. You're a white
> male, correct?
>
> Just sayin.

No. I'm saying math doesn't care about your feelings or identity. 2+2=4 regardless of your feelings or identity.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 03:24PM

I suspect that the complaint isn't over what is being taught, but how.

Schools are in the difficult position of having to efficiently teach groups of people with different backgrounds and learning styles.

There may be some who feel that somehow the methods favor white people. I don't really know about that, but what I do know is that the traditional way we educate disadvantages people who have a hard time sitting still at a desk...

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 05:58PM

Humberto Wrote:
> I suspect that the complaint isn't over what is
> being taught, but how.
>
> Schools are in the difficult position of having to
> efficiently teach groups of people with different
> backgrounds and learning styles.
>
> There may be some who feel that somehow the
> methods favor white people. I don't really know
> about that, but what I do know is that the
> traditional way we educate disadvantages people
> who have a hard time sitting still at a desk...

Huh? What's this about not being able to sit still at the desk?
That's something done in all schools all over the planet.
There isn't anything about that that favors white people.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 08:01PM

> Huh? What's this about not being able to sit still
> at the desk?
> That's something done in all schools all over the
> planet.

Yes and this is exactly why people who have a hard time sitting still in a desk might not do well in school...

> There isn't anything about that that favors white
> people.
>
> ~~~~iceman9090

I never said there was.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 07:15AM

I see where you're coming from, Humberto. I was tailor-made or perhaps beaten into shape to fit into education by my mother, a teacher. I was extremely successful in education (more so than in life ;-), I think because she 'primed' me for it. I also know that, even when I was small, I could see that others who had not received that framework or had not been taught how to concentrate and persist at a task could never succeed in that environment. My mother said they were 'stupid', but life has shown that most of them weren't particularly dumb, just not 'academic' as we used to say. The system didn't suit them and they didn't suit the system. Not being able to sit still can have life-changing consequences...

(edited to add)
Many people seem to forget that education comes primarily from the parents, in behavioural and value-led form. Parents who do not or are incapable (for whatever reasons) to teach children how to behave in social situations so that they will not be rejected. It seems to me that it's often a sort of self-perpetuating loop, because one of the reasons why such parents are incapable is often that they were brought up in similar circumstances. It's very sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 07:22AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 05:53PM

Get tested by Ancestry.com and you will find out there is no such thing as Neanderthan or Denisovian DNA.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 06:05PM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> Get tested by Ancestry.com and you will find out
> there is no such thing as Neanderthan or
> Denisovian DNA.

It depends on the quality of the analysis:
For example:
https://www.livescience.com/42056-neanderthal-woman-genome-sequenced.html

"Genetic analysis revealed the parents of the woman whose toe bone they analyzed were closely related — possibly half-siblings, or an uncle and niece, or an aunt and nephew, or a grandfather and granddaughter, or a grandmother and grandson. Inbreeding among close relatives was apparently common among the woman's recent ancestors. It remains uncertain as to whether inbreeding was some kind of cultural practice among these Neanderthals or whether it was unavoidable due to how few Neanderthals apparently lived in this area, Prüfer said."

~~~~iceman9090

Date: December 29, 2020 06:05PM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> Get tested by Ancestry.com and you will find out
> there is no such thing as Neanderthan or
> Denisovian DNA.

Mormon company right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com#Ancestry.com

That'd explain it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 06:07PM

You guys have quite a problem with "science," don't you.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 01:14AM

Why is science in quotes? Hmmmm

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 01:16AM

Because JoeSmith and his fellow travellers are constantly putting "science" in scare quotes as if "science" is political and not factual.

They often do that with "facts," too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 01:16AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 05:49AM

“A lot more closely related to each other than we are to Chimpanzees and Bonobos, even if Eurasians are 2% Neanderthal and Asians are an additional 4% Denisovan.”

Given Joseph Smith’s sexual proclivities, I wouldn’t be surprised if he spent a few lifetimes as a Bonobo.

I don’t know about the rest of STEM, but computer science had a lot of women in the early days. That includes my mom. Now the field is highly male dominated. The bias is real. I don’t know what causes it. Programming is very linguistic so there should be many more women than there are.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:39PM

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/neanderthal-genes-could-increase-the-severity-of-covid-19-symptoms/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/health/neanderthal-genes-human-health-covid19-scn-wellness/index.html

>>Pääbo and his team have turned their attention to medical science's most pressing concern, the coronavirus pandemic, to see if Neanderthal DNA can shed any light on Covid-19.

>>The scientists examined a strand of DNA that has been associated with some of the more serious cases of Covid-19 and compared it to genetic sequences known to have been passed down to living Europeans and Asians from Neanderthal ancestors. The Neanderthal DNA strand is found on chromosome 3; a team of researchers in Europe has linked certain variations in this sequence with the risk of being more severely ill when infected by Covid-19.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.