Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 09:48PM

Does any of this ring a bell in your memory?
What is a confidence game? aka congame?
First what it is not. It is not asking you to give me confidence in an issue. To tell me something that you know.
It basically works like this:
I let you know that I have a secret that that could be of great benefit to you. But I am not in a great hurry to tell you this. I pique your curiosity. I walk away leaving you wondering. You are out of your mind wanting to know what it is I know. You keep asking and asking and asking. Finally I give you a little hint about what it might be. I CONFIDE IN YOU
This even more whets your desire to know. I keep withholding the whole story but I let you know that for a slight fee I just might be able to tell you part of the story I AM WILLING TO CONFIDE TO YOU that which I know. I give you my confidence!
You bite, give me something. Money, goods, or service. And I have you. I string you along with promises of things to happen in the undetermined future and believing my story you play along until I have bankrupted you and I suddenly disappear. The secret of this is to never let the mark know any thing concrete.
This unrealistic hope is the main method organized religion uses to gather and hold members.
There it is in the near though undefined future. This glorious event is sure to happen. Not sure exactly when. But have faith brother!
Would I lie to you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 09:49PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kite ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 02:23PM

The "secret" is found in the temple.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 03:11PM

Certainly religion is an obviously attractive tool for the unscrupulous. I highly suspect that Joe Smith, having been previously caught in his cons by the law, recognized that not only could a religion help him fleece the flock, but it would be a con game operated under the full protection of the 1st amendment.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 03:15PM

When you are selling Afterlife Insurance, no one can prove your product does not exist. Clever, this.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 03:52PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you are selling Afterlife Insurance, no one
> can prove your product does not exist. Clever,
> this.

The spoiler Martin Luther pointed out, is it'd be a free gift the instantaneously received moment the believer receives the offered sacrifice our Savior performed. Too easy? Well after studying the change in thinking processes, it's almost the same as possible DNA triggering for real physical changes using diet or dietary changes and exercise. The mind processes things much much better.
Life, real life begins.
I'm not trying to say you shouldn't seek medical attention if you need that, there is a nut job Christian Science group that sometimes allowed children to die and that's just wrong. The singer Prince refused needed surgery and opiates finally got him because of excessive hip joint pain the Jehovah's Witnesses made him live with.
There's a following of artists the JW's parade even if it kills em.
Jill Scott. ...
The Wayans Family. ...
Terrence Howard. ...
Notorious B.I.G. ...
Sherri Shepherd. ...
Serena Williams. ...
The Jackson family. ...
Marc John Jeffries. ...

The hang-on's cults from around the time Mt. Tambora blew itself up can blow up your life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.