Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 01:08PM

https://news.tulane.edu/news/expert-best-way-fight-conspiracy-theory-isnt-facts

Since the pandemic began, the spread of misinformation has seemingly been as contagious as COVID-19. More than 2,000 coronavirus rumors and conspiracy theories sprang up in the first few months of the pandemic alone, according to one study.

From calling the pandemic a hoax to saying it’s a secret bioweapon designed to cause global chaos, these false conspiracy theories continue to spread like wildfire on social media. What’s the best way to stop them?

If you’re trying to debunk them on Facebook, you’re likely wasting your time, said Geoff Dancy, associate professor of political science at Tulane University School of Liberal Arts.

“Debunking means saying, ‘Hey, look, there’s this fact that your theory can’t explain. So you shouldn’t believe it anymore, right?’ Why doesn't that work? Well, conspiracy theorists are remarkably resilient to that kind of a thing,” Dancy said. “To change a conspiracy theorist’s ideas or susceptibility to the actual truth, you have to change the way that you interact with them.”

Dancy co-taught a course all about conspiracy theories. He spoke with Tulane University’s new podcast “On Good Authority” about the proliferation of conspiracies online lately — from QAnon to COVID — and how taking an empathetic approach may persuade some to be more skeptical.

“You approach them as if you are also a seeker. They are seeking something, and you’re seeking something alongside them,” he said.

He suggests asking questions about how they have come to believe the theory — and then ask them to walk you through the evidence. It doesn’t always work, but the goal is to get them to question their conclusions and evaluate them outside of the context of a believer’s bubble.

“You're never going to entirely win. That's just the truth. But there are certain things that you can do that chip away at it,” Dancy said. “It’s teaching people scientific methods, just through conversation.”

Listen below to hear the full interview and Dancy’s take on whether COVID-19 has sparked a new golden age of conspiracy theories. To subscribe to “On Good Authority," visit tulane.edu/on-good-authority.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 01:48PM

Sounds interesting

Anything to elucidate thoughts from people who usually don't.

Lots of dummies out there... So I stay in here, though I'm not immune. It feels like a commune. We all get along.

Con spirits see
Conspiracy
Piracy

I see
I click

Salt Lick
Salt Lake
Salt Like

Easy
Facts

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 03:35PM

They’re using the pandemic as cover to inject a microchip that turns you into a Mormon after being activated by 5G.

Conspiracy theories sell. Look at David Icke. The more ridiculous and stupid, the more popular a theory is. Then you get zealots saving the world by burning 5G towers.

Mormonism is a conspiracy theory. Look at the coin it’s raking in.

Date: January 01, 2021 06:50PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... turns you into a Mormon after being... [dead].
>
> Conspiracy theories sell. Look at David Icke.
>

Haven't heard his name in a while.

> Mormonism is a conspiracy theory. >

con spirits see piracy pie race more money ism schism scheme no more mormonism

It's a bank you deposit your "eternal" MONEY in and never take out, except your endowments. In Dow Ments Mints Mince Indo Money Gimme Help Suffering 'Church' Debt Problems Lies Suffering History Inaccurate Pyramid Scheme Insurance Lawyers Buildings Crutch Support Crooked Disorganized Shame "Interviews" Private (Not Private Whispers Talks Name Callings Shunning Mean Ugly... keys stuck

Mormonism is a maze
=====------=====
Go In > HERE <
○○○○○○○○
No, Not ▪︎Here▪︎
Maybe ◇ Here ◇
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
NOPE, Dope! ♤
□□□□□□□□
DON'T Enter Here
■■■■■
DEAD END
■■■■■
Try Again?

HELLno

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 01:55PM

The reason being
"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 03:15PM

People who firmly believe something love to hang the tag “conspiracy theory” as an instant closure to discussion of another point of view.

If we’re going to get anywhere, we have to have open minds and open lines of communication, without the buzzwords that are conversation stoppers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 03:16PM by csuprovograd.

Date: January 01, 2021 07:37PM

They're complete irrational nonsense.

And dangerous.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:12PM

What's the difference between a conspiracy and a conspiracy theory?

Evidence. No theory bereft of evidence deserves a second thought. Even if you express it frequently and fervently.

Posted by: Batfink ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 03:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> What's the difference between a conspiracy and a
> conspiracy theory?
>
> Evidence. No theory bereft of evidence deserves a
> second thought. Even if you express it frequently
> and fervently.

This is not true. Any investigator (in the non-Mormon sense) often starts from a point of little or even no evidence. This is true even in science.

From that point, the investigator will attempt to piece together evidence. This can go three ways - evidence, possible evidence or no evidence. A lot of material, such as eyewitness testimony falls into the "possible evidence" category. As the saying goes absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence. Sometimes you have to look harder and not just for moonbat ideas.

It is easy to write off everything you disagree with as a "moonbat" conspiracy theory. Sometimes, just sometimes, reality is weird. One of the Monkees really was heir to the Tippex fortune. Jayne Mansfield and Sammy Davis Jr. really did flirt with Satanism for a while. Winston Churchill was once inducted as a druid. These all sound weird but can be proven. Unlike moonbat soup.

Date: January 05, 2021 03:26PM

So you are saying that theories lacking evidence should be treated as true?

Fascinating.

Posted by: G. Salviati ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 05:11PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> What's the difference between a conspiracy and a
> conspiracy theory?
>
> Evidence. No theory bereft of evidence deserves a
> second thought. Even if you express it frequently
> and fervently.

Many scientific theories start out without any supporting evidence; its all theory. Such theories proceed not because of supporting evidence, but because of mathematical beauty and elegance; or because they support a particular preconceived point of view of some scientist who wants to test it. Many such theories linger as "research projects" for years (String Theory for example) without ever gaining supporting evidence.

The difference between a conspiracy and a conspiracy theory is the same as the difference between evolution and a theory of evolution. Conspiracies do happen, whether there is a theory explaining them or not; conspiracy theories are offered as explanations for such events. In evolutionary terms, it is often said that a given phenomenon can be explained by evolution; some people might take that general evolutionary explanation and offer a "just so" evolutionary story (a theory) in an attempt to show the details of how that happened.

Save the push-back on this. It is obvious and uncontroversial.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 05:32PM

"Conspiracy theory" is a colloquial term that isn't vey comparable with a scientific theory.

In science, a theory has supporting evidence. Usually a substantial amount. If it doesn't it's not a theory. It's a mere hypothesis.

Date: January 05, 2021 05:36PM

Exactly. A conspiracy theory is not the same thing as a hypothesis; it is in fact the opposite: a theory that one clings to despite the balance of evidence.

Posted by: Batfink ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 05:58AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Exactly. A conspiracy theory is not the same
> thing as a hypothesis; it is in fact the opposite:
> a theory that one clings to despite the balance
> of evidence.

That is a self-fulfiling prophecy since whenever something is proven, it ceases to be a conspiracy theory!

We often hear that the Russians are behind X, Y and Z. In some cases, there is good proof of it such as when FSB defectors in the west are killed. But in others, there is little or no evidence, but the story is still widely promoted.

There have been conspiracy theories which turned out to be true. I can't even refer to some of the recent ones I'd like to, but at least one of them was proven by FBI investigations and a federal court.

There was massive corruption in our local police department which was widely discussed but largely unproven for years. But when it was proven in the courts, boy, was it something. Organized crime was involved. Male prostitution (possibly underage - that aspect was never proven). And of course politicians. It was a total horrorshow, but had been a conspiracy theory/rumor previously. It also emerged that there had been a conspiracy against one of our judges by the police - all because he had banned a woman from driving who was related to some policeman.

Even some of the wilder ones have taken a few facts and spun them out. For the record, I do not think an alien spaceship crashed at Roswell, nor I believe the highly developed mythology that developed over later decades. My interpretation is that it was a Cold War military project which went wrong. That explains the backtracking and cover up. It doesn't help that a local newspaper of the time said that a flying saucer had been captured. Or does it? If the story became ridiculous, then anyone who investigated it would also look ridiculous, which helped the military.

Date: January 05, 2021 05:37PM

> Save the push-back on this. It is obvious and
> uncontroversial.

Thank you, Henry, but I think I'll stick with my own views. After all, I have read things published after 1955.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 06:06PM

Date: January 05, 2021 06:31PM

You silly man.

Your first two articles say the opposite of what you think, as you would know that if you had bothered to read past the headlines. Your third and fourth, by contrast, substantiate my point: evidence is the measure of truth.

The bottom line is that both you and Henry don't seem to know what "conspiracy theory" means.

Note the counterfactual bias, the belief that the existence of better explanations is taken as proof of the weaker conspiracy theory:

"Conspiracy theory, an attempt to explain harmful or tragic events as the result of the actions of a small powerful group. Such explanations reject the accepted narrative surrounding those events; indeed, the official version may be seen as further proof of the conspiracy."

--https://www.britannica.com/topic/conspiracy-theory

Note also the close relationship between conspiracy theories and psychological dysfunction, particularly susceptibility to "delusion."

--https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psych-unseen/202001/understanding-the-psychology-conspiracy-theories-part-1

Read if you ever read, footnotes four and five in the Wikipedia article. The sources there will help you diagnose (a few of) your own maladies--or else prove again to your convoluted mind that the absence of proof is itself proof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

It's a beautiful, if self-referential, world in which you and Henry live. For the more reality contradicts your views, the truer they become.

Date: January 05, 2021 06:43PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:

> The bottom line is..
>
> Note the counterfactual bias, the belief that the
> existence of better explanations is taken as proof
> of the weaker conspiracy theory:
>
> "Conspiracy theory, an attempt to explain harmful
> or tragic events as the result of the actions of a
> small powerful group. Such explanations reject the
> accepted narrative surrounding those events;
> indeed, the official version may be seen as
> further proof of the conspiracy."
>
> --https://www.britannica.com/topic/conspiracy-theo
> ry

> Read if you ever read, footnotes four and five in
> the Wikipedia article. The sources there will
> help you diagnose (a few of) your own maladies--or
> else prove again to your convoluted mind that the
> absence of proof is itself proof.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

> It's a beautiful, if self-referential, world in
> which you and Henry live. For the more reality
> contradicts your views, the truer they become.

If main street media and BigTech have your mind how is that a small matter, or worse yet a tiny teensy group?

The three day tension couldn't be higher, could it?

Can you dim the lamp on insults, the light maybe hardly reflects well on the image consistently projected, perhaps you want it that way though? Why else would somebody pursue the same path?

Date: January 05, 2021 06:50PM

Talk with energetic small kids and their parents all the time, very high enthusiasm!

When asking 9 to 16 year old's if they are pretty much immune from the virus they always shake their heads up and down with vigor and smiles.
Only beat by their happiness when asked if they're immune from fake news.

No great wonder why the announcement from NYT just came out.

Date: January 05, 2021 07:08PM

That's a strong reaction to the word "silly." I hope I didn't do any lasting harm.

Maybe you'll feel better if we give you a participation trophy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 07:08PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 05, 2021 07:15PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> That's a strong reaction to the word "silly." I
> hope I didn't do any lasting harm.
>
> Maybe you'll feel better if we give you a
> participation trophy?

I read that. Read the articles that didn't include the tons and tons of unveiling with Wikileaks, too.

People might be going a little overboard sometimes but really can you blame em?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/introducing-failing-york-times-failure-161057351.html

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.spiked-online.com/2020/07/20/the-new-york-times-other-problem-its-subscribers/amp/

Date: January 05, 2021 07:18PM

When losing an argument, switch to an attack on the NYT while pretending you're not being political.

Let me see if I can order that participation trophy for you.

Date: January 05, 2021 07:28PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> When losing an argument, switch to an attack on
> the NYT while pretending you're not being
> political.
>
> Let me see if I can order that participation
> trophy for you.

You keep it, fits a little better. The NYT Failing (t-shirt) is me! Get my sizing for an atheist comfort cult nap later on, XXL extra long. Heh..

Who do you love?https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/01/05/julian-assange-can-return-home-to-australia-if-us-appeal-fails/amp/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 07:30PM by josephssmmyth.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 06:22PM

If 2020 taught anything is the number of people mentally gone enough to be in the lala fantasy world of conspiracies is far more than I ever thought possible.

I remember on another forum a very active regular who routinely and categorically rejected the scientific community with respect to the COVID pandemic. He later posted videos from David Icke. You know, the chief proponent of the "theory" that interdimensional, shape-shifting, humanoid space lizards ruled the world. Are you fucking kidding me? Evidently there are adults who buy into this kind of thing. o.0

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:29AM

I've tried using facts to counter extremist left-wing conspiracy theories.

But people still want to believe that white males are part of an oppressive patriarchy and rape culture and that there is systemic racism, and that white cops are running around trying to kill innocent black men. And that there is a gender pay gap based on discrimination, and on and on.

Or maybe I'm the only white male on this board that isn't part of this secret network.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:40AM

Free Man Wrote:
> I've tried using facts to counter extremist
> left-wing conspiracy theories.

Facts? You are a sucker for bad information. You herald Scott Atlas and other charlatans like him; you went hook, line and sinker for that fraudulent article supposedly written by a professor at Berkeley who in fact does not exist; and then tonight you endorse the whimsies of Stephen Moore, whose house cat is embarrassed to be seen with him in public.

You find your "facts" from people who share your opinions, which means your standard for truth is "it feels good"--just as it was when you were a Mormon.

-----------------
> Or maybe I'm the only white male on this board
> that isn't part of this secret network.

You see? A word to the wise: don't appeal to a conspiracy theory to prove you are above conspiracy theories.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:41AM

You're very funny for an oppressive white male patriarch.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:46AM

We shouldn't both be mean to him at the same time. The result would be his disappearing into the woods to bang drums with other incels.

At least wait until Trump has relocated to Elba and Scott Atlas is available to fill Free Man's position at the parking lot.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:55AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> We shouldn't both be mean to him at the same time.
> The result would be his disappearing into the
> woods to bang drums with other incels.

One of the reasons I'm sitting this one out. Plus, you and BoJ have this covered.

Date: January 04, 2021 02:01AM

I've long wanted to compliment you on your facility with a keyboard. It must be tough doing that in a Burqa from your native Baluchistan.

Date: January 04, 2021 02:07AM

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

*uses burner phone to let my comrades know Lot's Wife is onto me*

Date: January 04, 2021 02:10AM

I saw you in the final season of Homeland!

Date: January 04, 2021 02:05AM

Date: January 04, 2021 02:11AM

And why, after the invention of satellites and flight, would there be some secret cabal still trying to have people think the world is round? Is there really billions in the "globe that opens into a bar" industry that would justify that much work to keep "flat earth" a secret?

Date: January 04, 2021 02:15AM

Brains. They want your brains.

That's why I wrap my head in tin foil and old WSJ newspapers.

Date: January 04, 2021 02:20AM

Heads up: the tin foil only works when the telepath/lizard can see you. They take one look and start laughing too hard to read your mind.

Or so I've heard.

Date: January 04, 2021 02:29AM

That's why I always wear my hijab--to conceal the tin foil!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 02:32AM

>That's why I wrap my head in tin foil

That explains everything. Tin foil hats don't work. According to MIT, they are actually counterproductive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Conclusion
The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.

You really should be wearing a thought screen helmet

http://www.stopabductions.com/

They work. Just read all of the testimonials and case histories!

Date: January 04, 2021 02:37AM

> They work. Just read all of the testimonials and
> case histories!

I'll start with Scott Atlas, Stephen Moore, and Louis Gohmert. Their testimonials are long but sincere.

Date: January 07, 2021 05:16AM

Well well well, isn't this really something else?

If you don't have nearly first-hand knowledge about what went on somewhere, what the heck (hack) are you doing?

Who or what are you defending?

Why oh why do you persistently seek to try and defend that of which you have no knowledge? Oh, you who accuse others of having only Google to go off of are really the one's with their own lacking wisdom and intelligence!

You have lacked a true insider, and now, you're stuck on the outside.

Is their possible reliance and overuse of Google the only sure proof of this reality basis?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 05:29AM by josephssmmyth.

Posted by: Natasha Williams ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 08:06AM

What you're talking about is the serial killer effect.

It is far easier for people to accept a serial killer when they are a lone weirdo who keeps himself to himself and frightens people...

... Than someone who was popular, had a successful career and family and was liked by all his neighbors.

It is much easier for people to be convinced conspiracy theories are all about Flat Earth and Lizard Men, than a well loved politician or celebrity stealing money and flying to Epstein's Island. Don't forget foreigners. It's always easier to blame them than Americans.

Date: January 07, 2021 01:44PM

Natasha Williams Wrote:
> What you're talking about is the serial killer
> effect.
>
> It is far easier for people to accept a serial
> killer when they are a lone weirdo who keeps
> himself to himself and frightens people...
>
> ... Than someone who was popular, had a successful
> career and family and was liked by all his
> neighbors.
>
> It is much easier for people to be convinced
> conspiracy theories are all about Flat Earth and
> Lizard Men, than a well loved politician or
> celebrity stealing money and flying to Epstein's
> Island. Don't forget foreigners. It's always
> easier to blame them than Americans.

Is that possibly some hardly unexplored territory?

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-a-trope-definition/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7swL1Znydts

Date: January 07, 2021 05:53PM

josephssmmyth Wrote:
> Natasha Williams Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What you're talking about is the serial killer
> > effect.
> >
> > It is far easier for people to accept a serial
> > killer when they are a lone weirdo who keeps
> > himself to himself and frightens people...
> > Than someone who was popular, had a successful
> > career and family and was liked by all his neighbors.
> > It is much easier for people to be convinced
> > conspiracy theories are all about Flat Earth and
> > Lizard Men, than a well loved politician or
> > celebrity stealing money and flying to be Epstein's
> > Island. Don't forget foreigners. It's always
> > easier to blame them than Americans.
>
> Is that possibly some hardly unexplored territory?
>
> https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-a-trope-definition/
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7swL1Znydts

Prescott may have one on their hands.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/arizona-man-charged-after-trail-human-skulls-limbs-found-scattered-forest/YEZBIPEFEJEK5JPZA4VVMM7KHQ/?outputType=amp

Date: January 09, 2021 07:00PM

You win!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.