Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:26PM

I've posed this question before, but it's worth revisiting from time to time. Several times a week now we are hearing of people gathering for "worship" (aka self-promotion) with the firm conviction that expressing belief in a deity will protect them from harm such as that from COVID, only to learn later on that their hope was somewhat overrated. How many need to die before these people figure out that maybe, just maybe, they were a bit mistaken in their conclusion that faith could affect the progress of a disease state?

Christianity in the US has turned into wide-spread Christian Science. The "Science" in that movement refers solely to the notion that one's faith and hope can affect one's physiology. Will COVID be the final straw that convinces people to grow up and shut up and stop thinking they are just so very special that the universe would bend to their collective wills?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:35PM

I'd guess no.
Somehow religions seem to pull off making everything into a faith-promoting experience.

The Bible is full of plagues. The people never seemed to buy a vowel about how useless their religion was against them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 08:31PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Bible is full of plagues.

The 1918 Spanish Flu didn't kill religion. The Black Death didn't kill religion, and so on.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:38PM

I can wish that it were so...but there are always enough gullible suckers willing to believe what's preached at them and ready to fork over all their cash so the PooBahs at the top can have their mansions and G5's.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:47PM

Nein.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 02:30PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Nein.
===============================

Concur.

Anxiety, the need to follow and obey authority in hope of safety, the need for certainty offered in immutable belief
-- all these are evolutionarily wired. It's "natural." Being "natural" it's not going to ever vanish.
And there will always be clever ones who exploit.

But reasoning is learned.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 08:52PM

On a macro level, no. The brainwashing of children will only continue and adults will continue to be gullible enough to buy into the horse-crap for generations to come.

Are they doing damage to their "brand"? A resounding yes. The religious nutbags who are trafficking in conspiracy theories and pseudoscience, and are putting others at risk, are doing real damage to their cause.

As an example: I have a relative who is an Evangelical Christian who, other than the religious beliefs, I deeply respect. While her beliefs have not dramatically changed in theological sense, she has repeatedly expressed shock and disgust at the behavior of her coreligionists during the pandemic. Though she wouldn't put it this way, in so many words; apparently batshit crazy beliefs, and the almighty dollar, trump that whole "love they neighbor" thing.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 09:45PM

Maybe they'll stop each other.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 09:51PM

No previous pandemic has made much of a long term dent.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 09:56PM

The black death made a pretty good dent.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 09:57PM

I'd say quite the opposite: crises, including healthcare ones, that cause deep anxiety usually result in more rather than less religiosity. Sometimes the impulse favors existing religions, which demand that believers work harder; but sometimes the impetus shifts to new religions or new ideologies.

Under pressure, humans usually become more irrational as they search for some explanation of why bad things happen to good (because everyone thinks she is good) people.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 09:07AM

I agree with Lottie that the crisis will likely cause the most religious to double down. Those with weaker religious ties may joint the rise of the "nones."

I think that the evangelicals are like the Mormons in that people will be blamed for a lack of prayer if things go poorly, which will also be ascribed to "God's will."

I know that many people are fatalistic about Covid, and feel that the virus should just burn through the population, with the most vulnerable self-isolating. I even know of one retired physician who feels this way. There is also a rise in (what I regard as selfish) extreme individualism in which one's own "rights" far exceed communal needs.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 01, 2021 09:52PM

Cults have grown pretty well by swooping in on the unlearned, unwise an foolish after pandemic and disaster.

Google pretty much proves stupidity is not hardly caused from a lack of information heh!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 09:59AM

It is not often that I comment on threads such as these but taking the position that somehow those groups that "worship" with the "conviction that expressing belief in a diety will protect them from harm such as Covid..." are in any way representative of all Christian groups as appears is a false hope. By far the majority of Christian groups are exercising caution in this Covid world just as they should. The relativel few that fit the type defined in the opening post in no way signal some kind of end for religion, no matter how much it is hoped for

Date: January 02, 2021 10:32AM

SMALL LANGUAGE WARNINGS

Kentish Wrote:
> It is not often that I comment on threads such as
> these but taking the position that somehow those
> groups that "worship" with the "conviction that
> expressing belief in a diety will protect them
> from harm such as Covid..." are in any way
> representative of all Christian groups as appears
> is a false hope. By far the majority of Christian
> groups are exercising caution in this Covid world
> just as they should. The relativel few that fit
> the type defined in the opening post in no way
> signal some kind of end for religion, no matter
> how much it is hoped for

Covid may end up partially destroying this fucking media we've grown so used to. Once the gaslighting goofs get more and youth riled up against em nobody will be paying them only to get part of the stories or worse yet, complete obstruction and deception.

Date: January 03, 2021 02:46AM

Look at the bright side. If we lose the "fucking media," we can all be as well informed as you!

Date: January 03, 2021 04:31AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Look at the bright side. If we lose the "fucking
> media," we can all be as well informed as you!

Psheww, don't dare.. The one to three day wait is upon us

What is happening is probably more historic than we could be prepared for.

Date: January 03, 2021 04:43AM

Irony. It was irony.

Date: January 03, 2021 08:16AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Irony. It was irony.

Well in that case, it'll have to be called Joseph News Network from now on. JNN! Yeah that'll be perfect, everytime I seem to get out of line and go way too far overboard you can say, "Thanks JNN"
Boy am I gonna regret this..

Gosh, why do I maybe feel like Marion Barry?

Heh Heh.. (morejokingaround) famousforthe bitchsetmeup line

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 03:47PM

No! The need for delusion to support the illusion is too great

Date: January 02, 2021 03:55PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> No! The need for delusion to support the illusion
> is too great

Maybe wait a little while, about at least two or four more days.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 07:27PM

No, since there are plenty of churches that don't consider having online services to be a sin at all.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 07:53PM

Nothing will stop cults and cult leaders, in general. In this conspiracy culture, no one has to PROVE anything. They can just lie about it. It's so much easier to lie, especially if a lie is something people want to believe.

If you are skeptical of the lies, conspiracists just tell you more lies, saying that EVERYONE--even the self-appointed "authorities" and "experts", believes the lie, and so should you.

This is true of both religion and politics.

People ask me what got me out of the cult. I answer, "Information. Real, corroborated, cross-checked, verified INFORMATION." (If you use the word "Truth", people get angry all over again.)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 01:01AM

No, but after nearly a year of staying home from church there will probably be a rather large dent in membership activity that may not ever recover.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 01:56AM

I agree.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 02:13AM

There may also be a permanent dent in donations, especially with so many people thrown out of work. It might make people more cautious about money.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 02:18AM

I am sure this is a serious consideration for a number of different churches now.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 02:35AM

Musicians, staff, help, artists, food services, restaurants, employees, on the other hand... lots of destruction there, as well as a lot of community health and social services and opportunities lost.

Some people will NEVER venture out into public again, especially not to be hit up for money, time, connections, free-services, calls for yakking, help with chores, PAY PRAY OBEY. No Way!

Date: January 03, 2021 08:21AM

I did get a seat at the restaurant last night, no delay no wait!

We both remarked, that rarely happens here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 08:21AM by josephssmmyth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.