Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 04:09PM

8: We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
I can accept that they believe that. SO my question is What part of the bible is not translated correctly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 04:11PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 04:16PM

Any part that has, does or will contradict Mormonism. Obviously.

Date: January 02, 2021 04:17PM

Yes but which is not correctly translated?

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 04:51PM

It doesn't matter. JS provided us with a correctly translated Bible, but the LDS church doesn't use it, preferring the KJV.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 05:00PM

I guess the JST kinda fizzed, 'eh?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 05:00PM

Humberto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any part that has, does or will contradict
> Mormonism. Obviously.
===============================

It's there for a reason.
Probably you're right -- sort of a get-out-of-jail card.
Alibi is mistranslation.

Same reason lawyers write "on or about" regarding dates and times

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 05:24PM

Remember what "translated" means in Mormonism. It means "interpreted to mean whatever the hell I want it to mean".

Thank you.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 02:17PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 06:57PM

The currently used KJV that the LDS prints is full of footnotes that refer to the Joseph Smith translation of the bible.

The full manuscript is available from the former RLDS church and is called Holy Scripture.

When Joseph died Emma kept his translation of the bible from Brigham and eventually gave it to her son Joseph Smith III when he became prophet of the RLDS church. They own the copyright.

The LDS church therefore sallies on with the KJV and its footnotes.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 06:58PM

The 8th is designed to serve as a permanent excuse to dismiss all scriptural inconsistencies. "If we had a correct bible translation there wouldn't be any contradictions." It's more useful to the church this way than actually having a "correctly translated" bible.

Meanwhile, the JST has been shown to be nothing more than a ripoff of Adam Clarke's bible commentary.

https://www.mormonstories.org/truth-claims/the-books/joseph-smith-translation-jst/

http://jur.byu.edu/?p=21296

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 02, 2021 09:25PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> ... my question is What part of the bible is not translated correctly? >

The parts Joey didn't COPY "word forward"

Word

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 12:55AM

"translated correctly" is just Mormon speak for "We have a prophet so we can toss out anything in the Bible we don't want to teach. We can also rewrite anything to make it say what we want it to say if we don't like the KJV."

And things can be continually changed back and forth depending upon who the next prophet is. He may not change the actual wording but he can tell you what "it is supposed to say or what the ancient prophet meant for it to say". As prophet he can basically rewrite doctrine as far back as he likes.

A Mormon prophet can also tell people outside Mormonism that "I don't know that we ever taught that" even if it was standard Mormon doctrine for decades. Outsiders can't handle the truth. Well, actually, neither can insiders. It's just a Mormon thing.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 01:47AM

We believe in church policies, conference talks and handbooks. We believe that they are inspired unless they contradict themselves, then we believe that leaders were speaking as men and not for God.

Date: January 03, 2021 11:47AM

All of you have given good answeers but my question remains
WHICH PART IS NOT TRANSLATED CORRECTLY???

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 03:04AM

Obviously the passages with footnotes are translated incorrectly. But other than that nobody really knows. Other than when we were studying the Bible in Sunday school or seminary, the Bible was always treated as suspect. The message I got was to read the Bible, but to be careful because it wasn't translated correctly and didn't contain the fullness of the gospel. But also to read the book of Mormon every single day. By the time I got done reading the required daily book of Mormon study and reading my own novels for pleasure, I rarely got around to reading from the Bible.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 03:47PM

Mormons don't know what they believe, believe it or not.

They are CONFINED - and CONstricted - by their institution of religious theories as it pertains to FOLLOWING ORDERS of authoritarian cult MISleaders, RULEBOOKS, other members, and their thoughts, observations and actions, inactions, and interactions.

If they had Faith
They wouldn't need Articles

Mormons are mislead, some half dead or in bed, as to WHAT THE CHURCH WANTS, not WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT.

Mormons don't know what they want (and when they get it they can't eat, drink or even say it). Thall shall not want.

Posted by: faithless ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 08:04PM

i believed my cheating husband til i found out he was cheating.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 04:37PM

Any part of the Bible that does not corroborate their narratives is "translated incorrectly." I have to give them credit for having such a comfortable comeback that works for them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 04:42PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> SO my
> question is What part of the bible is not
> translated correctly?

2nd Nephi, all of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.