Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 11:42AM

So, a friends Dad is ill and in the hospital and it is not going so well. I went looking on Etsy because I don't think I have anything that would be appropriate. They are religious. I keep finding ones that are marked for JWs. Does anyone have any insight about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 11:46AM

New JW pamphleteering? Heh, they're tired of handing out free dumpster doomed literature, I'm sure!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 03:32PM

The consensus on the web is that it's okay to do that. I would keep the message simple without reference to religion to be on the safe side. I read one response that there should be no angels or crosses on the card, and if things go south, no reference to heaven. As for funerals, they apparently like to keep things simple with no flowers.

Date: January 03, 2021 04:02PM

My friend is not JW, but the cards are marked that way. Lots of florals so I guess it is the cross/angel thing? So my guess is they would be fine as a "Christian" card?

Date: January 04, 2021 12:24AM

I feel that if I were sending a card to a JW, I personally would avoid religious talk altogether, but instead just go for a tone of sympathy at a difficult time.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 04:45PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 12:13AM

Just my opinion, birthday cards, sympathy cards, etc., are the lazy way of doing things. A short hand written note it's more meaningful and heart felt than any commercial card can possibly convey.

Date: January 04, 2021 09:32AM

Oh I will write on the inside too. They are very religious, Orthodox, and I am not terribly familiar. I woke to sad news :( He is on the other side of the country so there is not a lot else I can do but I want to do something.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 11:05AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I will write on the inside too. They are very
> religious, Orthodox, and I am not terribly
> familiar. I woke to sad news :( He is on the
> other side of the country so there is not a lot
> else I can do but I want to do something.

Sending a thoughtful card about lifting a prayer for their dad and the rest of the possibly suffering family is a fine idea. Orthodox means probably staying away from particular cards as that could be easily viewed as maybe clueless or insensitive.
Sometimes I grab a pricy blank card and use crative writing skills (copy a card you like) to master the message.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:22PM

I still like to send cards for Christmas and other occasions. I think a card of sympathy is very thoughtful. And yes, it's nice to add a personal note.

I have to wonder if the younger generation will continue the tradition of cards, or not. I just got a Christmas post card from my millennial niece, and I think it's the first one she ever sent. I've never gotten one from my nephew.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:54PM

Well Summer, judging by the HUGE card making industry people are still making and sending them. I try but I really suck and it takes me a long long time. I got a kit to make pop up poinsettia cards for Christmas and they were so hard I only got one done lol. I said screw this, and moved on to Valentines. I will work on them for next year after Easter cards. I like to get them. I like to send them. My family and friends are kind and humor me about how bad they suck. I figure it is the thought that counts ya know? Most of what I have is Anna Griffin and mega foofie and I didn't have anything for a sympathy card. Hubby finds that astonishing given the amount of crap I have.

Date: January 04, 2021 02:11PM

Yeah, it's not unusual for me to pick up a nice card when I see it for later use.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.