Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 05:24PM

A Mormon owned company ALK Capital has purchased Burnley a team in the English Premier League. Burnley is a lower level team in the top flight of English football and in re ent years has had a yo yo relationship between the Premier League and the losers division Championship league. They are one of the smaller clubs in the top flight. Price paid us believed to be around 127 million pounds. Dave Checketts who has had past associations with the Utah Jazz and the NY Nicks as Welland Real Salt Lake will represent the owners on the Burnley board.

They will need to invest a great deal of money to challenge the likes of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea or Manchester City.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 06:02PM

I wonder what, if any, ledger space they give to faith & prayer?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 06:35PM

Heath Ledger won't need much space.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 10:01PM

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 10:28PM

Nah, they'll just ask the Burnley fans to fast for a couple of meals and send the money to the club. That always works.

Oh, they can also introduce super-secret Burnley Club handshakes and exclusive underwear (with "B" markings over each nipple) to those die-hard fans who meet certain donation criteria, in order to recognize other club members.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 10:47PM

Yeah, but a "B" on the undershirt won't work. People would confuse the Burnley spectators with Bristol fans. And we can't have that.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 02:09AM

.. or even Brighton (shock horror ;-)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 02:40AM

Date: January 04, 2021 10:45AM

Hey now. As my body place it would be an honor for anyone to be associated with Brighton.

Date: January 04, 2021 10:47AM

Birth place.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 12:48PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:05PM

You are forgiven lol.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:10PM

If you are referring to Sheffield United (as opposed to Sheffield Wednesday) it is only this year they are having struggled. Last season they were newly promoted from the Championship Division and gave a good account of themselves. This year the wheels seem to have fallen off and they are without a win.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:13PM

Yes, Sheffield United. They came out with guns blazing last year, but are struggling mightily this year. My brother tells me that they had to let go of some of their best players.

In terms of the "weaker" teams that float back and forth between the Premier League and the Championship League, I have a fondness for Fulham. I particularly like their stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 01:16PM by summer.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:01PM

I like the Brighton team. The fans there can be tough to please, though. I've seen them booing their own team.

Date: January 03, 2021 11:55PM

Noooo! Not the Premier League! I read somewhere that Prince Charles has a fondness for this team. I think it relates to some charity work he did in the area.

My favorite, Tottenham, is currently sitting in 4th place.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 12:10AM

But will they play on Sundays? :)

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 12:33AM

Let's see how they go against Man Utd next week (12th Jan). If they win I will have a testimony that the church is true!

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 11:00AM

Better to have a sports team that care for the poor and needy. Dusty Rusty newest wisdom from his pen in the middle of the night.
This is disgusting.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:17PM

That would be quite the coup if they could pull it off. Man U is having a good run this year.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 11:27AM

I hope there is more than one mormon around...

If there is just one they will drink all the beer.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:00PM

Hopefully for the sake of Burnley fans (and I know an avid one) they have pockets deep enough to buy some good players. The top teams have wealthy owners who have plenty of money to spend on buying and on wages. Middle East money owns several big clubs in Europe They can also transform an average club as happened with Manchester City. Clubs like Liverpool (my team of choice) and Manchester United are owned by wealthy Americans but still have to be properly managed. Association football is the biggest and most popular sport in the world but is essentially in its infancy here in the US. It will only get better but the standard of MLS leaves a lot to be desired. I love the game but never watch MLS.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:04PM

Sheffield's rapid rise and fall over the past two seasons is shocking, but my brother tells me that they lost some of their best players.

We are a Tottenham family, but he is very fond of Liverpool as well.

Date: January 04, 2021 01:15PM

Sheffield United were promoted to the Premier Division last season and did well. This year not so well as they are without a win and bottom of the table.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.