Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 06:56PM

Yesterday I was a little embarrassed when my daughter saw me poking around in the "Mormon Beauty" materials in the Wikileaks thread. When I explained she grimaced and walked into the family room.

I watched her contentedly working on a jigsaw puzzle and it occurred to me how fortunate it is that she wasn't raised in TSCC!

After years of friction with TBM family, she was inoculated against the Morg, but in high school there was a point where she had a crush on a kid in one of her extracurricular groups who turned out to be a Mormon. Fortunately, learning that was enough to turn her off, but because they were in the same groups all four years, "Brigham" has been on our radar a long time.

She was surprised when he went on a mission straight out of high school. She went off to college. After the two year mission, Brigham started attending YBU. That wasn't surprising--we have family at YBU too--but she was shocked when he married shortly after that. And stupefied nine months later to learn that they'd already had a baby.

It occurred to me that she'd been out of high school for 5.5 years, and the last I knew about Brigham was RM, attending YBU with a wife and child. So I asked her if he was still at YBU.

She pulled up his FaceBook page and saw that it still said "studying at YBU." But then she blurted out, "Daddy, he's already had a second baby and his wife is pregnant again!"

Wow! Talk about different paths...

My daughter just turned 23 last week. She's earned a degree and masters degree, and has started a job with a large accounting firm in town (remote, fortunately). Some other 22-ish young lady is out there, having Brigham's babies. I guess that's fine if that's the life you really want, but it breaks my heart. My daughter is confident, educated, starting her career and for all intents and purposes could be self sufficient (she's been home since Spring break, due to Covid). That's a far cry from making Brigham's babies in student housing. And there's plenty of time for her to have babies if that's what she wants to do.

My late wife isn't here to talk about this sort of stuff with, so forgive me for yammering on about it. Anyway, I think we made good choices while bringing up our girls (my younger daughter is a senior in college now). I wish Brigham's parents had made better choices. And I wish his in-laws had made better choices for their daughter too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 08:14PM

Date: January 04, 2021 12:30AM

Thanks

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 08:45PM

Grandparents by 40.

Date: January 04, 2021 12:33AM

I know! But even faster.

A TBM high school classmate of mine (so, 57, give or take), posted recently that he's a great grandfather!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.