Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 07:20PM

We are, IMO, witnessing the logical result of the LDS church tacitly embracing the theology of ETB and Cleon Skousen. So many questions: are the leaders pleased? Will the storming of the US capitol, including by some protesters waving a Title of Liberty flag straight out of the Book of Mormon, be the nail in the coffin for the less-right-wing members? Here's a link:

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/krxyvl/captain_moroni_quote_apart_of_todays_us_capitol/

I would love to see Dieter Uchtdorf and Gerritt Gong say they have had enough. Surely the church can operate with only ten apostles. I be they could even come up with a revelation about how the original church only had ten at some stage. But it seems that dedication to the church somehow does not indeed solve all of life's insignificant problems.

Yes, I'm angry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 07:21PM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 08:04PM

Several times today I've thought about the rallies Cleon and the Birchers held at the U of U back in the 60s. And probably Reed Benson, ETB's son, was there as well. McKay was too old and not strong enough to rein in his unruly apostle--at least he sent him to Europe for a while. Wasn't enough.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 08:05PM

The church will go forward as if they never had characters like Clingon and ETB.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 10:40AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church will go forward as if they never had
> characters like Clingon and ETB.

Yes.

The church knows that the only chance that they have with converts within the US are recent immigrants. Quietly, they were at odds with many policies of the previous presidential administration.

The church is likely going to lose control of members who are far right anyways. The church is looking out for its survival.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 09:24PM

Let’s not insult Klingons.

The church does have something miraculous after all — its memory hole. Facts don’t matter in the church. That tends to give leaders some leeway.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 08:18PM

Too good, that. If only Arnold Friberg were around to imortalize them with magnificent biceps and pecs.

Apparently there was a dress code sent out with the invitation so they would look nice in lock step at the victory parade. Talk about being a certain type!

And for the Mormon Congress of 15? I bet "mum's the word" as just this once they decide to separate church and state, cuz, Utah is a died in the wool Trumpster state, so what can you say ?

Has Trump just ushered in a new dispensation. Chosen of God? Cuz as a kid I always heard that God chose the president and that's why we always voted with ETB.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 08:49PM

John McNaughton is still around. He's the modern Friberg.

https://jonmcnaughton.com/patriotic/americana/

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 09:44PM

Arnold Friberg certainly gave George Washington plenty of muscles.

Posted by: o ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 10:23PM

They will all sleep well - probably on "My PILLOW" - the product of Mike Lindell who is a Trump KookAid pusher all the way.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 10:22AM

The hierarchy aren't saying so much so of liberty lately for a variety of reasons. It has to do with them getting soft, sitting in bed all day. They are disconnected with the public, and the world of work and what people are actually doing. They are taken in by the intellectuals, who believe they are qualified to expound on subjects they don't know anything about, where verbal virtuosity trumps reality.

Everyone can be an expert at one thing but only a fool (an intellectual) thinks he's an expert at everything. (Thomas Sowell)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 02:47PM

Being old is a sin for you I guess. I really don't know why you aren't active. What could have happened to you with Mormonism? Did someone offend you? Did you want to do something you weren't supposed to do in Mormonism?

Date: January 07, 2021 09:09PM

I take it you are very proud, then, to be in no danger of being a fool with you underdeveloped intellect in tact at a very low level.

Oddly, the definition of the word you denigrate is very positive no matter which source you look to for a definition. Here's just one:

"An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, who may also propose solutions for the normative problems of society . . ."

Mormons fear intellect and rely on emotion and magical thinking so clearly we see why you do too.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 09:26PM

macaRomney Wrote:

> Everyone can be an expert at one thing . . .

No, it is not true that everyone can be an expert at one thing. Some people are expert at virtually nothing. Your suggestion that everyone is a good soccer player is "participation trophy" stuff.

Do you have a lot of participation trophies in your life?

--------------------
> but only a
> fool (an intellectual) thinks he's an expert at
> everything. (Thomas Sowell)

Put on your little thinking cap and see if you can identify one or two of the fools who think they are expert at things they don't understand.

And no, Sowell is some distance down the list of ingnorami who think their minds range far beyond their mental hovels. There are much more obvious examples, magaRomney. I'll bet. . .

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 09:22AM

NEVER underestimate the power of morons who believe in nonsense for which there is NO evidence. Whether it’s a book that was translated with a rock in a hat that was written on golden plates in a language that never existed in any other historical artifact known to man, describing the history of people for which there is zero physical logistical or DNA evidence, or belief in stolen elections for which there is also zero evidence.

It’s not the people pretending to believe it because they love the power it gives them to pull the strings of the truly ignorant, who are the most dangerous. Neither Dusty Rusty or Orange Rump would have any power on their own. They need to be able to work their cons. The scary ones are the people who honestly fall for it. And when you combine those who fall for BOTH Rusty’s or Falwell’s or any other religious idiot’s con and other conspiracy theories, it’s disastrous, as we witnessed.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 10:14AM

NormaRae Wrote:
> NEVER underestimate the power of morons who
> believe in nonsense for which there is NO
> evidence. Whether it’s a book that was
> translated with a rock in a hat that was written
> on golden plates in a language that never existed
> in any other historical artifact known to man,
> describing the history of people for which there
> is zero physical logistical or DNA evidence, or
> belief in stolen elections for which there is also
> zero evidence.
>
> It’s not the people pretending to believe it
> because they love the power it gives them to pull
> the strings of the truly ignorant, who are the
> most dangerous. Neither Dusty Rusty or Orange Rump
> would have any power on their own. They need to be
> able to work their cons. The scary ones are the
> people who honestly fall for it. And when you
> combine those who fall for BOTH Rusty’s or
> Falwell’s or any other religious idiot’s con
> and other conspiracy theories, it’s disastrous,
> as we witnessed.

NormaRae, I find it kinda hard to maybe try and clumsily gather everone on the side of Donald Trump movement into one single myopic group.
Why oh why would you possibly want to even maybe step further suggesting there were no problems with a brand new controversial mail-in system that still remains untested and untried?

Meanwhile the healing former mormo-ism recovery person usually is perfectly familiar with the term of gaslighting, aren't they?

Is this a bit of horrible behavior for persons maybe seeking recovery or is it to be expected?

Date: January 08, 2021 10:23AM

Please look up what gaslighting really is. These people weren't made to doubt themselves. They were fed what they wanted to hear long before some ass like Trump saw the opportunity to use them for their own purposes. Now even Ttttrruuump has thrown them to the wolves in an effort to save his own self.

Single myopic group? Don't make me laugh.

NormaRae gets it in spades. These people have a commonality. She is not lumping them together. They lumped themselves together as the ignorers of inconvenient truths in favor of their own agendas. The dress alike, they act alike, they have the same goals and also have no decency or conscience. That is quite a lot in common.

You could maybe consider that your constant inept and arrogant correction of others is considered a joke here.

Date: January 08, 2021 10:27AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Please look up what gaslighting really is. These
> people weren't made to doubt themselves. They
> were fed what they wanted to hear long before
> some ass like Trump saw the opportunity to use
> them for their own purposes. Now even Ttttrruuump
> has thrown them to the wolves in an effort to save
> his own self.
>
> Single myopic group? Don't make me laugh.
>
> NormaRae gets it in spades. These people have a
> commonality. She is not lumping them together.
> They lumped themselves together as the ignorers of
> inconvenient truths in favor of their own agendas.
> The dress alike, they act alike, they have the
> same goals and also have no decency or conscience.
> That is quite a lot in common.
>
>
> You could maybe consider that your constant inept
> and arrogant correction of others is considered a
> joke here.

Why do you maybe persist in protesting perhaps too much?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 11:14AM

In my opinion you are lucky to get the responses you do.

Date: January 08, 2021 11:22AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> In my opinion you are lucky to get the responses
> you do.

Maybe I should hold class and teach neutral behavior possibly overly missed when sometimes examining Socratic methods?

Naaa.. wouldn't work, nobody's gonna show. (NoHehUsed)

Date: January 08, 2021 11:21AM

When you are looking up gas-lighting, have a look at the word protest as well.

Words don't have to be stumbling blocks.

Date: January 08, 2021 11:23AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> When you are looking up gas-lighting, have a look
> at the word protest as well.
>
> Words don't have to be stumbling blocks.

Burning things 152 days like in peaceful protesters?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 09:32PM

At least Captain Moroni didn’t torch a Wendy’s. Trump still has access to late night drive through.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 10:09PM

Does anyone here believe the GAs know Right from Wrong, let alone a 'moral compass'?

- truly?

They're little more than a (PUN ALERT! Rusty weather vane.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 04:15PM

Posted wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 04:16PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 06:07PM

Absolutely Nothing
Say It Again

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

WAR! What Is It Good For?

Separation

What can they say?
Absolutely Nothing!

Unity? NOPE!

Fear. Worry. Dependence...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.