Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 06:31PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZk2Jo43BDI

Some of you reading this may not believe it, but this song(?) peaked at #29 on the Billboard hot 100 in December of 1958. It's performed by Paul Anka, George Hamilton IV, and the late pop reggae star Johnny Nash (before he discovered reggae).

I'm putting this schlock up to remind all of us why we left our respective religions (me, Roman Catholicism; most of the rest of you, Mormonism). Regarding the latter, I bet the LDS church was teaching this stuff while it frowned on its members listening to this song (loosely, it was considered a rock and roll recording).

Oh, and some of the comments about the video are right on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 07:28PM by blindguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 06:35PM

Ugggh! I couldn't make it past "unclean."

Date: January 07, 2021 06:49PM

And when I heard that line recently, all I could think was: "That would have been a perfect line for Boyd K. Packer to use in his 'Little Factory' speech."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 07:06PM

Thanks to Covid-19, I am living the Teen Commandments!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 07, 2021 07:33PM

Nine out of ten ain't bad.

Date: January 07, 2021 08:57PM

only two, maybe two and a half, of the listed commandments are worth anything. "Think before you drink," is a good one to follow if you're driving home afterwards; and the one about driving too fast has merit--people who race often do overlook objects and other people in their way that shouldn't be overlooked.

The one about dating is a terrible idea, though I followed it at one time and Mormons still practice it. Dating should be a fun experience between you and another person and you shouldn't prejudge their marriage potential before doing it.

Giving "one day to the Creator," is certainly a thing that Mormons do (as well as other religions), though as a now-atheist, if I wanted to give one day to my creator, I would have to give it to my mom (my dad died twenty years ago).

Probably the most intriguing commandment is the ninth one, but it is too simplistic. The whole truth is that sometimes we are leaders and sometimes we are followers, depending where our strengths and knowledge lie. For example, I could be considered a leader in blindness skills (being totally blind, I have to use them to survive) but a follower on baseball (something that is not very interesting to me). The much smarter commandment would have been: "Learn when you are to lead and when you are to follow."

The possible half commandment would go to the last one about the original ten commandments. Since I'm an atheist, the ones about belief in a god and swearing would not apply, and coveting thy neighbor's goods (if not necessarily his wife) is how we keep our businesses going. On the other hand, the ones about not committing murder and not stealing are very good ones to follow.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 12:13AM

Doesn't ring a bell. Hmm--did they play this in SLC?

Date: January 08, 2021 07:48AM

I don't know. Currently, the ARSA survey site for Utah stations at

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/stations.php?q=utah&ix=0&s1=-1

has 1958 surveys from only one outlet, KLUB (it's now KNRS 570 AM), and the available surveys are from September of 1958 before the record was released. So that question is very much up in the air.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.