Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 11:58AM

I got a mysterious snail mail letter, handwritten addressed directly to me in a none-to-firm script (presumed aged writer) and a regular stick-on stamp. The return address was Good News, c/o (a real name) from the nearest po-dunk village (pop ~300 4 mile away).

Welp, The handwritten letter inside started with "We unfortunately can't visit you at home because of the pandemic, but".... After which I quit reading because it was actually quite long and I had confirmed what I strongly suspected. An insert printed on the cheapest material I have ever seen had JW.org on it.

I will credit the local Dubs for putting money/time where their mouths are, even though it is unwelcome. They are the only missionaries with the nerve to occasionally come up my 800' dirt drive path through dense trees. I mean, every one in rural Oregon is armed and usually none to pleased when uninvited visitors show up. I have certainly never seen the mormon misshies.

Be that as it may, the local JWs are reduced to snail mail proselytizing due to COVID. They just don't make gods like they used to. Well, actually they do - today's gods are just as real and effective as they always have been. At least the Dubs take the virus seriously, unlike the local Mennonites I posted about a while back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 12:57PM

We got a similar letter from our local JWs last week. It was addressed to my husband by name, and signed by someone we know of, but don't know personally. I'm sure they are enjoying the break from making the usually fruitless door to door visits, and I've enjoyed not having them come!

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 12:59PM

Is it the last days in their cult? Do they have some kind of prophecy going? A member in the family tree here in Sweden got a letter this past week. Handwritten with a small folder.

Posted by: Huntedas ( )
Date: January 08, 2021 01:45PM

Cauda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it the last days in their cult? Do they have
> some kind of prophecy going? A member in the
> family tree here in Sweden got a letter this past
> week. Handwritten with a small folder.

Not many (covid19) officially made printing presses are running, and it is all about contamination liability.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 06:39PM

I though the world ended in 1917...or was it 1976?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 07:23PM

Proselytizing is not allowed in my private community, so over the years I've gotten the JW letters as well from someone a few communities away. The last time I got one, I recognized the return address, and wrote, "Declined -- returned to sender" on the envelope. I haven't gotten one since, so maybe it worked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.