Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 01:39PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/01/09/jana-riess-capitol-we-saw/?fbclid=IwAR2z09nAo15ZRKHd6HrntPte38Z3q9QRCXWT5Mwi_pSPrnNGMCIIOnIKx6Y

not behind pay wall

https://religionnews.com/2021/01/08/at-the-capitol-we-saw-the-best-and-the-worst-of-us-mormonism/

Jana Riess
Flunking Sainthood

"At the Capitol, we saw the best and the worst of US Mormonism
The domestic terrorist who dangled from the Senate balcony and occupied Mike Pence's seat is a returned missionary of the LDS Church, to our shame. But Mitt Romney, also a Mormon, showed some of the best qualities our religion is capable of.

The man who “hopped down” into the Senate chambers during Wednesday’s assault on the US Capitol has been identified as Josiah Colt, a former missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to East Idaho News.

Acquaintances of Colt’s are registering shock. A high school girlfriend said on Twitter that she had no idea the Idaho native “grew up and became a terrorist.” A man who knew Colt in high school told KTVB that he was “shocked” and didn’t want people to think his actions represented their hometown.

I do not know whether Colt is a practicing Mormon today, or if he left the Church at some point. He has deleted his social media profiles, so it’s hard to tell. He apologized on Thursday for his role in the armed insurrection, which brought terror to many, disrupted the actions of government, and resulted in at least five deaths.

In his apology, Colt said, “I recognize my actions that have brought shame upon myself, my family, my friends, and my beautiful country. In the moment I thought I was doing the right thing. I realize now that my actions were inappropriate and I beg for forgiveness from America and my home state of Idaho.”

He should have also mentioned that his actions have brought shame upon his church, which will inevitably be criticized for its connection to him.

Colt’s reprehensible involvement was not the only Mormon sighting at the US Capitol on Wednesday. Also pictured in the crowd of Trumpublicans was a man carrying a “standard of liberty” flag, a reference to the character of Captain Moroni from the Book of Mormon.

“In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children,” the flag read.

This is not the first time that Trump supporters have attempted to claim this freedom-loving verse from Alma 46 for their own twisted political purposes. In October, Utah Senator Mike Lee offered a fawning and outrageous comparison of the Book of Mormon hero Captain Moroni to Donald Trump.

“To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of him [Trump] as Captain Moroni,” Lee told Arizona fans. He also stated that the president “seeks not the praise of the world,” which could not be further from the truth in describing the self-aggrandizing Trump.

Thank God that Mike Lee and Josiah Colt don’t get to have the last word on what Mormons in America stand for. Thank God we also have Mitt Romney, who showed what people of our faith are capable of.

o to Mitt Romney, I want to say: thank you for being a voice of reason in the Republican Party and the nation. Thank you for standing for values that are supposed to define what it means to be a Latter-day Saint. I may not agree with you on political issues, but you have earned my respect.

And I hope members of the Church will look to your example rather than the example of violence and white male rage on display this week at the US Capitol. We saw two American Mormonisms on offer on Wednesday, charting two very different possible futures. The question ahead is which one we will allow to define us."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 01:44PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 01:41PM

I couldn't tell the best from the worst.

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 02:03PM

Do you exmormons respect Romney? In a political sense.

Is it easier for him as a mormon to take a stand in a context where the majority consists of evangelical christians?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 02:27PM

Romney is a shameless, flip flopping opportunist.

Edited to add: I’m not an exMormmon. I’m a neverMo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 02:28PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: Anonymous42day ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 03:06PM

Cauda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you exmormons respect Romney? In a political
> sense.
>
> Is it easier for him as a mormon to take a stand
> in a context where the majority consists of
> evangelical christians?

He is a shameless flip flopper who started out as tRump's harshest critic, until he thought there might be a job opportunity in tRump's cabinet, at which point he declared tRump was a "good man who will make a great President" and with that ringing endorsement in hand, tRump removed his job offer to Mitt the flip flopper and Mitt then went back to his role filling the void in the GOP, which has morphed into the MAGA Cult.
He was the one and only R to vote for impeachment.
He is all that is left of the the Old Party, formerly known as "Grand".
Never was a big fan, but you gotta hand it to Mitt the flip flopper, he did grow a testicle. Not a pair, but one is better than none.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 02:48PM

What I love about politics is its baseline reality!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 04:00PM

Snort! hahahahah ha.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 03:59PM

I’m seeing Mormons now insisting that we were witnessing antifa at work. I am so glad I’m out. If you buy the BS theology and ignore Joseph smith’s criminal activity, you’ll believe anything.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 10:07AM

I’d imagine Romney only ever planned on one 6-year term and since he doesn’t care about re-election, he can piss off the not-so-smart people he shares a religion and/or a political party with. I’m thinking he wants to go out with the reputation of having been a statesman and not a tool. Yes, he’s a total opportunist who changes ideologies whichever way the wind is blowing. He was kind of progressive as MA governor, then turned regressive to run for president and now wants nothing more than to have the majority of the country, who happen to be progressive even though they’re not as loud as the other side, think he’s cool and willing to CTR. Still, I have been impressed that he truly knows how to play the game and currently I like the way he’s playing it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 10:31AM

I see Romney as an opportunist, but at least he did the right thing in repudiating the President.

Romney and other legislators have been harassed by Trump supporters in Washington, D.C. area airports while traveling back and forth to their home states. As a result, security is being beefed up in advance of the inauguration. Legislators are being urged to file their travel plans in advance so that their safety at airports can be assured.

Date: January 10, 2021 10:31AM

These two paragraphs sum up my feelings about Romney:
“Thank God that Mike Lee and Josiah Colt don’t get to have the last word on what Mormons in America stand for. Thank God we also have Sen. Mitt Romney, who showed what people of our faith are capable of.
Like standing up for what’s right even when it’s not popular. Like honoring forgotten American values like truth and evidence and reason rather than lies and conspiracy theories.”

Unfortunately most MMOmON Men love Trump.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 11:00AM

Excepting his Bravado / Over-the-Edge Ego, I've never been able to reason why anyone supports DJT.

He shrills anti-abortion, but he's a philanderer, his mouth & tweets are little more than dog-whistles to people who prefer conspiracy theories more than truth-facts.

Date: January 10, 2021 05:30PM

GNPE Wrote:
> Excepting his Bravado / Over-the-Edge Ego, I've
> never been able to reason why anyone supports
> DJT.

I have a Sister and Brother In-Law who support DJT and I think I understand why they support him. They're rich and got a lot richer under DJT. They both feel like the herd could do with some thinning, that we've gotten too overpopulated for the Earth and they didn't want perpetual war.

> He shrills anti-abortion, but he's a philanderer,
> his mouth & tweets are little more than
> dog-whistles to people who prefer conspiracy
> theories more than truth-facts.

That and they didn't like the alternative (which they see as BLM/CHAZ/Homelessness/Drugs/Welfare State/Confiscate guns/Defund the Police) even more.

That and they're racist AF!

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 03:20AM

Read an article written by a calvinist-theologian named Piper.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/policies-persons-and-paths-to-ruin

A baptist pastor in Brooklyn ranted about it. Said Pipers theology made Trump!

sermonaudio.com/sermon/1025202030334883

—-
This is not evangelizing but I show what type of core messages I found when I as a swede tried to understand how conservatives think about trump.

Piper thinks christians are confused. Caught up in this world. They want freedom and life but do not see that it causes sins that cause the problem.

The pastor in Brooklyn tells the congregation that Piper is a hypocrite because he was into sex and stuff.

Trump is a Samson, childish but what is left to use.

I think Pipers article makes some good point about contradictions.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 04:09AM

Colt is a US Capitol raider

Romney is a corporate raider

Posted by: Cindysue ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 03:01AM

Lost count of the times you guys did the big "no no" offending god and rusty by saying Mormon. Did you forget you can't say Mormon?

Date: January 12, 2021 07:52AM

Cindysue Wrote:
> Lost count of the times you guys did the big "no
> no" offending god and rusty by saying Mormon. Did
> you forget you can't say Mormon?

We love giving Satan the easy V.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 06:16PM

Mormon insurrectionist and proud RM Josiah Colt has turned himself in and is waiting to be taken by the feds.

"The Ada County Sheriff's Office in Boise, Idaho confirmed to CNN on Tuesday night that Colt was in custody on a hold for the US Marshals Service."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/us/man-vice-president-chair-capitol-riot-trnd/index.html

https://www.kmvt.com/2021/01/13/idaho-man-arrested-in-connection-with-us-capitol-riot/

Don't be surprised if he spills like the Exxon Valdez.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 11:53PM

The "best" ones ARE The worst!

Date: January 14, 2021 04:04PM

Thought at first he might have had the sense to stay outside but… no. And the PR hits keep on coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebh0o4BdKLs

(0:32 to 0:44)

What a moroni.

Date: January 14, 2021 05:16PM

Henry B. Eyeroll Wrote:
> Thought at first he might have had the sense to
> stay outside but… no. And the PR hits keep on
> coming.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebh0o4BdKLs
>
> (0:32 to 0:44)
>
> What a moroni.

OMG that's awesome!
Has anybody notified the FBI yet, that here's this MORmON leading sedition against the American Democracy, pretending to be the Captain MORmONi?
MORmON's homoerotic hero PRophet of their racist, white supremacist God.
Wonder how this guy will do in prison dressed in a dress, lol!
They should just thrown him dressed just like that on preditor Island, McNeil, we have here in WA and make it open season, no bag limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebh0o4BdKLs

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 05:21PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 06:22PM

"I, Moron"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 02:29AM

I remember George Romney. I always thought he had a lot of smarts and integrity. I knew Mitt tangentially at BYU. We were just barely acquaintances, but we did cross paths a few times. He was ok, but had that smug, righteous aura often associated with mission APs.

I later worked for a software company that Bain Capital bought, cannibalized, and closed. That didn't improve my attitude toward him, though his involvement in that was extremely tangential.

When he was guv of Mass, and running the 2002 Olympics, and running for President, and even when he talked about Mormonism, something always seemed just a bit plastic and phony about him.

This last year, for the first time in the 50 or so years I have known him, he sounds like his dad. I don't get a sense of phoniness.

I watched the speeches last Wednesday after the Capitol invasion. Congressional speeches are rarely met with applause afterwards. I can think of several reasons, not worth discussing here. Several of the speeches that evening were met with applause. I remember Kelly Loeffler in particular, after she announced that she would not be objecting to the Georgia elector vote, reversing her position from earlier in the day.

Mitt Romney's speech was the only one I heard that was interrupted by applause during the speech, and also got a standing ovation at the end, at least the few people visible to the camera were standing.

He always seemed uncomfortable in his own skin, but not this time. I think after 70-some years, he finally found his authentic voice. Better late than never.

The text of his speech:
https://www.romney.senate.gov/romney-condemns-insurrection-us-capitol

Edit to add: I just looked at the video of the speech. It was the applause in the middle that showed a standing ovation.
https://youtu.be/MFj2Br8nxoc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2021 02:38AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 10:48PM

Really? There are more than a few Republican legislators who fear for their lives if they stand up to Dear Leader, and that is hardly an unjustified fear, with chants like "hang Mike Pence" echoing the halls.

Romney was a toady when he pretended to be "fiercely conservative", or some clumsy phrase like that. He was never authentically able to do that because at heart, he was like his dad, a traditional northeastern Republican, aka "a Rockefeller Republican", once the ruling breed of the party. It is now nearly extinct. Pity, that. Mitt seems to have finally found his groove. I'm still not a big fan, but I'll give him respect for doing what some of his compatriots agree with, but are too fearful to publicly support.

Date: January 17, 2021 04:58PM

Non-mormons have taken up the hunt for Captain Moroni but, unaware of the context, they're calling him "Emperor Nero."

https://old.reddit.com/r/CapitolConsequences/comments/kz9v5b/help_find_this_domestic_terrorist_dressed_up_as/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.