Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 03:00PM

Somebody please explain this aspect of human nature. Whether it be a Prophet, a President, a King, a CEO. The need to love, defer to, be loyal to, unquestioningly obey and serve, and yes, worship another person. Where does this come from? Do devoted followers have some sort of personality flaw that they think so little of themselves that they need someone else to defer to? I don't get it. I didn't get it when I was TBM and I don't get it now for all the obvious reasons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 03:12PM

Law in nature.

Evolution or created by God.

Fact is - Kids have natural attachement to parents even if a parent is abusive.

That is why something like splitting exist. Kids run to their abusive parents for safety. They end up in a double bind that force them over time to create a mental split and scrap their natural attachement to their parents and other people in general.

You worship your parent. They protect you in nature against predators.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 03:50PM

TBMs worship Jesus, not the prophet. I think Jesus would call that brown nosing. The point of Christianity is devotion to the Christ, which is an aspect of human consciousness that transcends the veil. It’s taught in parables, metaphors, and myths. That doesn’t mean it isn’t real.

Christianity is a form of Bhakti yoga, a way to reach Moksha. There are other ways, but in the West that’s the prevalent way. Christianity is predicated on devotion to Christ, but how many Mormons do you know who are really devoted to that? How can they be, the way the church is led like a cult?

The reason for the decline of religion is that the salt has lost its savor. However, it was the leaders that let it happen. The men who lead the Mormon church are absolute dolts. But hey, I didn’t vote for them.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 03:59PM

I believe that it is a matter of self esteem or personal value however you want to state it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 04:38PM

I vote with the Rat.

"How can I matter?" is a great concern for developing personalities.

So, how can you matter?

Sure, we could enumerate any number of ideals, but if someone has been deemed to "matter", then hooking your wagon to that person's train allows you to immediately "matter".

Hahahahahaha! Sharapata, if you had 1,000,0000 followers on some forum or another, you'd understand!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 04:44PM

> Hahahahahaha! Sharapata, if you had 1,000,0000
> followers on some forum or another, you'd
> understand!

And thus the secret is revealed: EOD is really a Kardashian sister.

Date: January 10, 2021 05:11PM

... a hint ...

think 'medium bootie'

Date: January 10, 2021 05:31PM

That can be fixed.

Date: January 10, 2021 04:43PM

Primates are social animals that live and hunt in groups. They require social hierarchy and cluster naturally around stronger individuals; they also exhibit nearly religious behavior around death and mourn deceased leaders.

Why would humans differ much from such closely related species?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 04:56PM

“A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will come out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping, we are becoming.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson"

I've seen this paraphrased as,"Choose carefully what you worship, for the qualities and traits of what you worship will become you."

Date: January 10, 2021 05:13PM

... and my secret is laid bare: I hooked my wagon to Winnie the Pooh.

I have no regrets!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 08:57PM

I've seen it first hand. People want to have heroes. They don't want to accept that those heroes have human faults just like the rest of us.

Posted by: StandingOnShoulders ( )
Date: January 10, 2021 09:29PM

You'll want to study apprenticeship and the master's touch, legendary leadership and visionary abilities of people with talents far exceeding those usually found in the common person. The whole Christ story is entirely based on a few unique and exceptional characteristics not found in Mormonism and so it's understandable to find unfamiliarity among other different somewhat predictable groups.

Standing on the shoulders of giants finds application.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.