Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 07:17PM

Yesterday we had a temple president share some of the things that the GA's talked to them about this year. The term "Scattered Revelation" was discussed. It means that if your the president or a Bishop, other people who are counselors, etc. may come to you with bits of revelations that you might need. For example, the temple president needs to listen to his counselors and matrons as they may have bits of revelation he needs to preform his calling or to deal with issues at his temple.
So it appears that the Lord in his wisdom will not give the Bishop all the revelation he needs to deal with a specific issue in his ward. Instead The Lord may reveal the missing pieces to someone else.
I kid you not.
This is a big shift from when I grew up and was told the Bishop receives revelation for the ward. Or the father of the house receives revelation for his family etc. Any idea why the shift. This sounds more like "group think."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 07:28PM

Oh brother. The pendulum swings back and forth. My recollection is like yours.

I remember when people were getting revelations for others all over the place that the church didn't like, so they said that was a no-no. They didn't like people bypassing the authority channels.

Then they settled on rank and file members only being able to receive "revelation" for themselves, or maybe the priesthood holder (eye roll) could receive for his family.

I guess good consistent revelations that agree with whatever the church wants to focus on now are hard to come by. I mean, look at the Vallow Daybell case. Now THERE'S some revelation for you.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 10:27PM

I had a bishop, a SP, a close friend who was a leader, and an LDS SS therapist tell me it was okay to marry my husband. ONE of them (the friend) said that he had prayed about it and knew he couldn't receive revelation for someone else, but he asked God if he could this one time. He told me my husband would never leave me and how would I feel when I met God if I didn't take this chance he was offering me to save a soul.

So much for scattered revelation.

Secular Priest or is it SEcular Priest. Your posts are some of my favorites. You have new and interesting info and you have a way of sharing what you have learned.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 10:45PM

One of the GAs must have learned about crowdsourcing!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 10:49PM

...which includes pieces from other puzzles that were found under the couch.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 12:31PM

It fits with their Book of Mormon narrative. A piece of the Bible found under a rock.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 11, 2021 10:52PM

"Scattered revelation" didn't work out so well for Ordain Women. Perhaps it's time for them to try again?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 12:35PM

God suffers from multiple personality disorder but that is nothing new. He has one mind, two bodies, and three spirits.

He can only show his "whole vision" with a pantheon of completely opposite leaders in a mishmash of "The Truth of The Gospel."

"The optimism and energy of President Nelson. The love and mercy of Elder Uchtdorf. The no-nonsense doctrinal focus of President Oaks. The passion and fire of Elder Holland. It goes on and on.
Joined together, these men are able to take their varying viewpoints and their different pieces of revelation to find the complete and whole vision God wants them to have."
https://www.ldsdaily.com/personal-lds-blog/church-leadership-principle-scattered-revelation/

"The no-nonsense doctrinal focus of President Oaks."

LOL! The biggest A-hole in the picture. Judge Dred.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 01:18PM

Scatter-brained revelations have pretty much always been a thing in the church.

It's not hard to make a case for JoJu using the process of convenient revelations to take control of otherwise difficult confrontations. How convenient to be able to say, "Well, ghawd told me you HAVE to let me 'shtuup' other babes, I mean wives, Emma!"

My guess is that recognition of Regular Revelation was discontinued after JoJu's Carthage Jail ascension, because of how disorganized it was, to the point of being counterproductive!

Witness the 1886 supposed revelation* by John Taylor that Plural Marriage would ALWAYS be the way of the lord. He wrote it out in his own hand in his journal during his time as church president and obviously the fundamentalists take it as gospel. The church Church says that their President was mistaken when he wrote it... So why can't we say that about anything proclaimed by other presidents?

If you study church history and keep an open mind, you'd stop going to church and paying a tithe. You have to actively seek to explain away the inconsistencies you find, which the church is very eager to help you to do.

C'mon, everyone! Get up, go to a window, open the window, stick your head out and yell, at the top of your voice, "I'm EXMO as hell and I'm not going to take the sacrament anymore!"

*http://www.artbulla.com/images/1886.jpg

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 01:40PM

Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.

I never got the idea that church leadership wanted anyone but those dutifully chosen by god to make the decisions. Priesthood in action was a nickname for I am making bad decisions and won't listen to any sound advice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.