Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 03:53PM

https://fb.watch/2ZKuYUAxhp/

From Mormon Stories Podcast

"False/fictitious religious beliefs, and deceptive religious apologetics, have damaging real-world consequences. Not only in the realm of politics, but in the realm of families, and in individual lives as well.
When people are taught to believe fictitious stories, ignore meaningful evidence, and to blindly follow charismatic leaders, they become susceptible to and even groomed for further manipulation.
In my view, the Mormon church and its apologists are complicit in what is going on right now in our country.
Truth matters, and we ignore and distort truth at our own peril."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 05:01PM

Black and White Thinking.

Humans are not sterile, lab-controlled products, who/which at any point in their lives can have their schematics analyzed to assure strict quality control. "Oh, look, his 'humor' is running hot; I'll just reset it..."

Personally, I don't think humans can or ought to be judged by any set of standards that require precise measurements, much less 'judgments'.

Yes, let us all agree that water will freeze at 32 degrees F. Some truths are good...did you know that you can set water to boil and get some idea as to your altitude above sea level by the temperature at which your water begins to boil? But does atmospheric pressure also influence this? So, a truth: water boils at 212 degrees at sea level, but at what barometric pressure?

I sincerely believe the OP thinks that there is a Truth that once identified and followed will pretty much guarantee the acquisition of whatever state of being he is chasing. He'll look down on the rest of us: "Hey, look, I've found the Truth and I'm living it. Everyone follow me!!!"

I suppose my basic thesis is that happy is as happy does... Don't listen to the man, any man, behind the curtain. But expect/plan for consequences for pretty much all the actions/inactions you do or don't take. A case can be made for describing Life as simply 'consequences'.

At least that's how I see things this fine, sunny January afternoon in North Disneyland.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 05:18PM

But the basic idea--that by teaching people cultic religious thinking you prepare them to embrace cultic political thinking--is correct. No? There is no better preparation for an extremist movement than learning to believe things that are factually, demonstrably false.

Mormonism preaches that the standard of truth is whether something feels good emotionally. And the LDS church routinely uses meetings and rituals to sweep the individual up in group emotion. That is exactly how nihilistic populism works.

Date: January 12, 2021 05:27PM

Okay, there's a point that has to emerge from your hysterical ravings: Everybody learns from someone else.

Very few people grow up able to pick and chose just what they will believe.

That's as far as I'm prepared to go now; after all, I hardly know you!!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 12, 2021 05:30PM

> after all, I hardly know you!!!

Would it be hysterical if I were to say, "Thank God for that?"

Date: January 12, 2021 05:38PM

"Further deponent sayeth not."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 12:48AM

I dunno, they could have turned out like me. Of course it took a lot to shake me out of my Mormon bubble. Something akin to splitting the atom.

Date: January 13, 2021 01:22AM

What if the atom wasn't split, but just chipped?

Yeah, chipping the atom doesn't have the same panache as splitting the atom...

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 10:44PM

"feels good emotionally"... I would say what else is there to rely on? Humans basically follow what feels good, and if they are above average they may go after what they think is right. Even the those who run after the present science and the teachings of intellectuals, they go there because it feels right.

Just my two cents.

Date: January 13, 2021 11:13PM

Feeling Good

Fitting In

I want to put forth the notion that these two impetuses, and how we each mix them, is what forms the framework of our participation in the Game of Life.

I think they are complimentary, yet individual feelings. The combination, feeling good (how you fit in with your peers, superiors, and subordinates) and fitting in (how you are active, your daily doings within your milieu) are what we use to define ourselves.

We're all different but very much alike.

(...should have stopped after one O'Douls...)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 03:35PM

Truth is brutal. It is non-compromising to circumstance. It is what it is and not what we may want it to be. It will withstand scrutiny. Truth is devastating to the liar. They can be called to account for their lies and will almost always become belligerent and violent when exposed. However truth will not be thwarted. It will force it's way to the fore and demand attention.

Date: January 13, 2021 03:54PM

So how does your declaration of the brutality of Truth line up with the existence, or I should say, the continued existence, of la iglesia mormona?

When will Truth be getting to the fore and garner the attention of which you speak?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 04:15PM

eventually it will fail
It is happening as we speak

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 04:17PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2021 11:32PM

MORMONISM Wants YOUR Truth

But Doesn't Want ANYONE To Know It's Truths

Because IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY

It Has SECRETS
It calls sacred

But The Truth Is
Moronism is FALSE

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.