Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 08:54AM

https://saltlaketribune-ut.newsmemory.com/?selDate=20210114&goTo=A05&artid=1

So, the top dogs needed a place to meet and shoot the breeze er..get revelations/s. So they re-purposed the 8th floor of the old hotel Utah which is now the JS Memorial building for their own little mini temple...dedicated and everything. Who cares that it cost big money...they are awash in it.

I got the link from my email edition of the Trib (which I hate, btw) so I hope it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 08:55AM by gemini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:18AM

They knew well in advance that the Salt Lake Temple was going to be closed for renovations (it wasn't exactly a Rusty magic pen light middle-of-the-night moment) so why wasn't it done ahead of time? Sure makes them look stupid, even as a "business" organization.

They already have several rooms on different floors of the church office building complete with high back chairs, plush seats for their big asses and marble altars. So they couldn't be bothered to use one of these for their secretive ego nursing.

The church can't be bothered to be more generous with church welfare for those who have lost jobs, suffered sickness and hospitalization, and are in danger of losing their homes through foreclosure. Yet, the article appears to be bragging that the church did this renovation on the "cheap".

As a 13 year old scout, my ward's troop had won the area council's jamboree. Part of the honor/glory was to wear a special colored chord. The church refused to buy a 7 dollar award for 10-12 boys. Moreover, we were forbidden to "fund raise" to cover the cost because the church had set a strict budget for Scouting. Yet they had no qualms about young boys going house to house to beg strangers to buy inferior products (like 4 dollar boxes of light-bulbs that cost 1.29 at Kmart) just so we could cover the costs of the church's scouting budget. I was told that it was improper to appear "gluttonous" as church members.

I served a church mission stateside, apparently one of the top 3 greatest convert generators for the church although the mission president implied that we were the biggest screw ups as church stewards of the flock~ Go figure!

We were told to flood the earth with the Book of Dum-dum (remember Benson?) So we did! The entire mission easily pushed "homing" some 3,000 copies in one month. Then we were told that we had exceeded our monthly allotments set by Salt Lake. So for my last month as a church missionary, we had very few copies and the damn church couldn't be bothered to send a truck with copies from a dusty church warehouse.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:35AM

When I (old as dirt) went out 67-69, ChurchCo required us to PAY for the books of dum-dum that we 'placed';

we were told that future success of conversions would increase according to how many books we placed.

were the above conditions also in effect at your mission (when?)?

mine was the 'Great Lakes' (Northern Indiana & Lower Michigan), name changed since then....

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:50AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I (old as dirt) went out 67-69, ChurchCo
> required us to PAY for the books of dum-dum that
> we 'placed';
>
>
> we were told that future success of conversions
> would increase according to how many books we
> placed.
>
Wow!

Not surprised at the church's stinginess.

> were the above conditions also in effect at your
> mission (when?)?

No, it was included in the monthly 350. Apartment cost them 100-150 per month. Cockroach and rodent infestations for free!

Bonus were pimps and drug lords providing extra security detail. A good apartment had used needles on stairwells and homeless people passed out near entrances.

Forgot to mention the apartment furnishings.

If you have ever seen an episode of "Storage Wars" with worn out, stained mattresses. Those are NICE compared to the ones kept in missionary apartments.

>
> mine was the 'Great Lakes' (Northern Indiana &
> Lower Michigan), name changed since then....

I was in Texas in the 1990s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 11:06AM by messygoop.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:40AM

Piffle!

Two million dollars is 0.00002% of 100 billion dollars.*

If that 100 billion dollars were earning 0.02% interest per year, that's two billion dollars! Which divided by 365 is $5,479,452.

So they spent less than half the interest their frugality earned them in a day! And that's just using the 0.02% figure. They have to be earning more than 2% per year on their stash.

If they gave each TR holder $1,000 per day (tithing-free), the interest their money earns per day would still have them increasing their stash. Of course, some of us with less than ideal motivation would lie our asses off to get a TR, so eventually, they'd have to cut back to $1,000 every other day.**

Thank you, Jesus, for these Boys from Brazil! (cuz they are trying to be clones of you-know-who... No, not BY!)

*...Math... Never my strength. Watch BoJ disprove my theorem...

**The guy in charge of my file at the SCMC is currently running around the COB showing off this post and calculating the growth curve my 'revelation' could generate. You're welcome, Dr. Rusty Scalpel.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 01:10PM

I heard my name, so here I am. :)

0.02% and 2% are not the same thing. To calculate 2% of something you multiply by 0.02, but that is not 0.02%. If you actually want two one hundredths of one percent, you would multiply by 0.0002

I see people confuse that so many times here that whenever I see a percentage that is less than 1 percent, I assume they meant a percent 100 times larger, unless it is clear from the context that they really meant that the percentage they were referencing was less than 1%.

Exceedingly common mistake. I saw two people on television recently report a campaign spending statistic that was off by a factor of a million. The fact that neither one recognized that the number they quoted was ridiculously too large is one of the downsides of math illiteracy in this country.

Then there are the people for whom million, billion, and trillion all mean exactly the same thing - "big number". :-/.

If you want a mental image of the difference between those numbers,
A million dollars in hundreds will fit in a backpack.
A billion dollars will fit easily in a tractor trailer.
A trillion dollars will fill a long (over 100 cars) freight train.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 01:30PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Then there are the people for whom million,
> billion, and trillion all mean exactly the same
> thing - "big number". :-/.

Target audience for enhancements in their nether regions?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> If they gave each TR holder $1,000 per day
> (tithing-free), the interest their money earns per
> day would still have them increasing their stash.
> Of course, some of us with less than ideal
> motivation would lie our asses off to get a TR, so
> eventually, they'd have to cut back to $1,000
> every other day.**

Eh...not quite. Let's estimate that a third of the people they claim as members are actually active in any way, and maybe a tenth of those people have a temple recommend. That's still around 500,000 TR-holding Mormons, and $1,000 to each of them is half a billion dollars. Do that every day and the Church will be out of money in less than 8 months, even if their fund is earning 20% annually.

Of course, that would still be a better use for it than sitting there.

Date: January 14, 2021 11:21PM

Correct. I didn't even look at that math (the $1,000 a day gratuity). It was a similar calculation to that where the talking heads were off by a factor of million.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:25PM

Tsk tsk, BoJ. Keep making errors like that and they'll take away your honorary doctorate and the gold-plated slide rule.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:50AM

Open to rank-and-file members who hold a TR?

inquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 12:06PM

So they really do believe. I suppose they kind of have to. Like the QAnon guys who saw Trump send the letter ‘Q’ in Morse code in his most recent video. Mmmm, Kool Aid.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 12:15PM

So why not their own fleet of private jets?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 06:29PM

Money, pretty much we can always follow the money when the Church is one of the players.

Here's what's going on right now with the church and Delta airlines, along with the church and rich members with private planes: (I can't say under Penalty of Perjury that I know I'm correct, but I'd bet $10 that I am, which if you know me, is pretty much the same thing as swearing under P of P.)

In re Delta: The church and Delta made some kind of a deal. It's easy to suspect that some mormon Delta exec went the extra mile for the church in arranging the deal, but the deal was made. The church gets 'church rates' for all the tickets it buys, which includes the missionaries and the GAs. And they can lease Delta jets, again, for at a lower rate than you, I or Ford Motors, because that was part of the deal. Jesus flies Delta.

In re Private Plane owners: Rich mormons love to hobnob with the GAs. I don't know who started it, but it quickly became known that GAs would snuggle up to you, a rich guy, if you'd loan them your Lear Jet, your Cessna, your Dassault, etc. You'd even get to play golf with them!

So GA's get to fly for free, and the plane owner gets to write off the expenses of the trip, as a charitable donation. Yes, they could exaggerate the length of the trip and the actual expenses, but at heart, who really wants to pay less in taxes? Not me!

Now I'm wondering if there are retired airline pilots who think that at 65, they've still got what it takes? They could volunteer their services for a GA who gets loaned a plane but not a pilot... Again, there are a verifiable number of individuals who will do anything to be snuggle-buddies with a GA.

Compare the above with buying and maintaining a small fleet of planes. Sure, maybe some members wouldn't mind be the janitorial staff for these planes, but mechanics and pilots, probably not so much. And the tax write-offs derived? When you don't pay taxes, there are no write-offs! It's ALL charity work.

Again, I'm basing these speculations on a tiny bit of knowledge and a huge amount of masterful speculation. If anyone has any info to contribute, I'd be happy to absorb it.

Date: January 14, 2021 11:30PM

I think you are pretty much spot on about Delta. I'll add one thing about volunteer pilots flying GAs around. The FAA licensing requirements, while stringent, are not the real obstacle to a volunteer getting to fly a plane. Insurance companies are the real 800 pound gorillas. If they won't insure the flight, its not going anywhere. And they don't much care whether Jesus is on the flight.

If the pilot is not up to their requirements for that particular plane, which are more stringent than the FAA's, the pilot is SOL.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 06:57PM

Private jets are expensive to maintain and fly, and we all know how the Mormon church hates to spend money. I agree with EOD above. Why buy when you can persuade someone to lend you their jet, or fly you first class on a major airline at a huge discount?

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 07:18PM

Especially when the church can sweeten the pot with a brand new custom-made second anointing. What rich mormon could resist that deal?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:34PM

I guess you need a secret place to bring in the underage girls.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:47PM

Maybe their mini-temple can also serve a panic room in case Satan comes unbound or Oaks needs to hide from the Gay Agenda or something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.