Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:33AM

Suspicion.

Evolution, the life force, gifted us with suspicion as a survival technique. Worked so well for so long.

But Humankind. Humankind! Made it a double edge sword.

Read an article last night in the AARP magazine about a guy who lost almost a million dollars to swindlers with rotten investments. In the interview he said it was because he "spent his entire professional life working with honest folks who routinely told the truth. He just assumed everyone was like him and his colleagues, and so he couldn't imagine there were people who would look you in the eye and lie."

Moral: Good to be suspicious. Right? Uh . . .

Then I thought. What if you are suspicious of the world as I was taught to be all through childhood and youth.

"Being IN the world not OF the world."
"The NATURAL MAN is an ENEMY to God."
"The other churches have TRUTH MIXED WITH LIES."
"We have HIGHER moral standards."
"ONLY WE have the WHOLE truth."

And in your head those sayings go, racing around your cerebral cortex looking for a permanent home. And they find one. And your cemented suspicion of the world sets you up to be the pawn of those who made you suspicious. Now you, me in particular, believe everything coming from the church leaders. Anything! Everything!

I guess I didn't know to be suspicious of my parents too?

Conspiracy theories. Some people eat them up. What is Satan other than a conspiracy theory? You can't see him, touch him. But you are told he exists. No evidence at all. You couldn't prove him in a court of law. But so many aren't even suspicious that he is made up. I wasn't. My acceptance of the Adversary Conspiracy Theory left me with horrific nightmares of Satan attacking me for decades. He was a tool to make me suspicious of everything but the one thing I should have been suspicious of.

Forgot to be suspicious of my church. Since they were the ones who made me suspicious of others I accepted them as the fountain of all truth. Because they said so.

People say you've got to trust yourself. But that is tricky business. Isn't it?

Suspicion is your friend but it needs to be an equal opportunity employer perhaps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:44AM

The Lord's Annointed will lose street cred if there is no updated Word of Wisdom in 2021.

https://www.livescience.com/magic-mushroom-injection-case-report.html

Date: January 14, 2021 01:12PM

whoa! That is scary. Didn't see than coming!

No coffee, no tea, and, especially no Magic Mushroom Tea. Too bad Russ can't get Mark Hoffman to come up with a forged document from Joseph himself dated 1830 warning of mushroom tea. That would cement his stature as prophet for sure.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 03:48PM

The problem is the injecting of tea - with or without mushrooms. I mean, who INJECTS mushroomy tea into their veins?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 08:46PM

So I shouldn’t inject Diet Pepsi?

Date: January 14, 2021 01:49PM

He’s lucky they found him. He could have ended up like an ant taken over by cordyceps, with mushrooms popping out of his head. Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 12:18PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People say you've got to trust yourself. But that
> is tricky business. Isn't it?
>
> Suspicion is your friend but it needs to be an
> equal opportunity employer perhaps.

We are built to track others as much as say a lion in the brush. Too much of a good thing softens this sometimes.

Date: January 14, 2021 12:19PM

We can't go on together
With suspicious minds (suspicious minds)
And we can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds

Oh, let our love survive
I'll dry the tears from your eyes
Let's don't let a good thing die
When honey, you know I've never lied to you
Mmm, yeah, yeah

Date: January 14, 2021 08:57PM

You sound like you're caught in a trap or something.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 01:05PM

Suspicion is very finely tuned in some people, like bionic vision or super hearing. I'm sorta that way. I didn't believe the church's nonsense from the get go. Made it easy to leave.

Sometimes dogs get a suspicious to them. That's when you have to look for ...

Date: January 18, 2021 01:46PM

Gut feelings are not to be ignored. Acted on with caution perhaps, but not ignored.

How many times a day in this world does someone utter the words, "I knew it! Dammit. I knew it!"

I left the church on a gut feeling. I had the "one true gut."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 01:51AM

"Forgot to be suspicious of my church. Since they were the ones who made me suspicious of others I accepted them as the fountain of all truth. Because they said so."

Well, they wanted to make you suspicious of everything else because otherwise you'd be suspicious of it - it's a catch-22... the bait in the trap. It's set up that way for confusion, not self-advancement, happiness, fulfillment, community participation, or unity in purpose. It's to break down until you break apart. Or restart.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.