Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 07:48PM

just curious. Only been on here off and on for 3 or 4 years. BYU Boner is the only openly claimed Christian that comes to mind that I actually saw in the posts. Maybe babyloncansuckit when that was his screen name possibly back then also. Other than that I can't think of one other.

But was there ever a time when Christians were a majority here before 2016 basically.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:16PM

I've been here since August 2005. I was surprised by all the atheists and, since I had been taught atheists are bad, I asked them what their "beliefs" were and I got a lot of good answers and they all treated me with respect.

Another thing that I learned when I first came to this board was that I didn't have to respect the leaders as it was so drilled into me. That was when I finally really started to heal when I was able to put blame where it belonged for what happened in my life.

The atheists have always been kind to me. I don't know what I believe. I once called myself agnostic, but when I saw what fb gave the definition of it as, I knew that wasn't it. Someone on here told me I'm an apathethist (spelling--I never can find the spelling). From my own observation, most people who have been on the board have been atheists, but not all.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:17PM

We have certainly had believers of many stripes here over the years. CL2 do you remember Catholic Girl? Good lord, CONSTANT drama. And she brought others. Then we had someone that was Eastern Orthodox but he was very cool and never a problem. Lovely man. Then we had the Christians who kept wanting to use us to harvest people for their "counseling" groups. For a price of course. All of our problems would be solved once we paid to learn about the "Real Jesus".

Date: January 16, 2021 01:10PM

was preaching to me and he claimed to be gay, married, and had 2 children, in his 30s, and he told me how wrong I was about gay/straights marrying, etc., and he kept on preaching. It was at that point I realized that the bible couldn't possibly have been written by God and I asked him to prove to me God had written with his own pen. That ended the conversation and my final last attachment to the bible.

There was a mormon who came here a lot, too, and roped me in in my early days in terms of telling him my story, etc., and then wanting to fellowship me.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 10:45PM

Most of us who are ex-Mormons would have thought ourselves to be Christian at one time, even if we're not anymore.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:05PM

I was never much of a Mormon when I was a member and someone labeled my belief structure as being an apathyist which is pretty much spot on. I just don't care if there is a God.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:19PM

I think you fit into a category I labeled Laztheism.

Ghawd might be calling, but I'm chillin', so ...

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 10:48AM

When god has revelation for me and I'm busy......god waits.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 11:56AM

Scattering your revelations?

Date: January 15, 2021 11:44PM

hahaha laztheism. I'm just going to chill right here no matter who might call.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 12:29AM

Hey gawd..dude..hold my beer!

Date: January 16, 2021 09:58AM

Beer sounds really good right now. I'll hold your beer if you don't mind.

Date: January 16, 2021 01:11PM

That is definitely where I fall.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2021 11:44PM

Nightingale and Bona Dea I think are easily classified as Christian. Perhaps macaRomney, though that thought makes me shudder. There are others who I am pretty sure would consider themselves Christian.

I am a Christian atheist. It is the Christian/OT god that I find no evidence for - you know, that guy on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

I also think the arguments about whether Mormons are Christian or not are pretty silly. They may be non-standard Christians, but they are clearly an offshoot of Christianity. In fact, they are an offshoot of the Universalist subdivision of Christianity. Everybody gets into a heaven, except maybe some of the scum of the earth like us. :)

Date: January 16, 2021 10:03AM

hahaha the thought of macaRomney being Christian makes you shudder.

Its a good thing the crusades are over for right now I suppose.

Posted by: Time in Motion ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 12:06AM

I used to be anti-Christian as an agnostic-atheist, I simply applied the same scientific skepticism I did to Mormonism to Christianity. I ate up Dan Barker, Hitchens, etc. But then I read Nietzsche and I realized I was more Christian "culturally" than I realized. Then I read Tom Holland's book Dominion, and listened to Jordan Peterson on the history of morals and morality in America coming from the Bible; then I listened to YouTube videos of atheists try to refute this but then come around to admit this and then agreeing (that their ethics as an atheist in the US is much based on Christianity) but saying "so what." So I guess I am a Christian Atheist as well, I don't accept Christianity supernaturally, but before Christianity things were quite different. Just study the Vikings, Romans, Spartans, etc. I am happy I live post Christian morality.

What I think most exMormons reject about "Christianity" is the dogmatic Fundamentalist brands. Unfortunely they are the loudest. But the the quieter theologically liberal brands are fine I think for many exmo's.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 12:12AM

A nice post.

I like the idea of "post-Christian" identity. I may disagree with you about morality--Christianity has some horrible stains, including its contribution to Nazi oppression of Jews; and there are other traditions that are at least as moral as Christianity--but people who grew up in the Christian West are as Christian as they are Western.

The same thing is true of Mormonism. Are any of us really free of our childhoods? Do we ever fully escape?

So I'm a Christian and a Mormon whether I like it or not. I am an agnostic, but an agnostic of the Mormon sort. As I've said before, Graham Greene reached the same general conclusion when he termed himself a Catholic agnostic.

Date: January 15, 2021 12:38AM

Tribal mormonism ...

The odds are very high in favor of me jumping into a fight where four JWs are trying to beat up on two missionaries, on the side of the missionaries, no questions asked.

It'll be very embarrassing to find out that the missionaries were to blame and deserved what they were getting, but still...

Date: January 15, 2021 12:42AM

I will be on your side in any such conflict and encourage you to fight as hard as you possibly can. From a safe distance, of course.

You have a cell phone, don't you?

Date: January 15, 2021 12:46AM

Nice try... I'm still not giving you my cell number.

It's bad enough you weaseled my email address from me, although it's public, so you didn't really need to play the games you did ...

Women!

Date: January 15, 2021 12:53AM

What makes you think I'd ever note down your phone number? I just want you to think I'm rooting for you when you join the fray.

So credulous, you men!

Date: January 15, 2021 11:58AM

A woman's attention is worth two in the bush.

Date: January 15, 2021 12:07PM

Well, . . . <censored> . . . <yeow!> . . ., so who really knows?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 05:01PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What makes you think I'd ever note down your phone
> number? I just want you to think I'm rooting for
> you when you join the fray.
>
> So credulous, you men!
YES AND so completely humble and sincereOh and I forgot MODEST

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 05:04PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: January 16, 2021 12:11AM

the only reason I would ask for old dogs cell phone number is to be taught the ways of becoming the most interesting man in the world.

Date: January 16, 2021 12:45AM

Teach me your ways

https://youtu.be/dYde7LbQrG4

Warning watching this video is hilarious.

Date: January 15, 2021 11:51PM

Well, you know what they say old dog. You can not teach an old dog new tricks or fight for a different tribe either.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 01:05AM

Time in Motion Wrote:
> I realized I was
> more Christian "culturally" than I realized.

I certainly grew up in a Christian culture. My area is now very multi-cultural. But when I grew up, it was a very Christian culture, so that is where my moral compass came from.

But I grew up in a home where Christmas meant Santa Claus, Charlie Brown, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Easter meant the Easter Bunny and hunting for hidden candy.

But I always paused to remember the reason for the season at some point on those days.

I just wasn't raised to think about God or go to church. But I know my Dad thought of us as Christians, even though they never even taught us about God or religion.

Date: January 15, 2021 01:53AM

Lot's Wife,

I actually don't disagree with you and as I was writing my post I was thinking of the Inquisition and burning Heretics alive. I am also aware of Martin Luther being anti-Semitic. But I think if one researches these matters more deeply they will see by and large a biblical "trajectory" progressively toward what we moderns consider moral and just. Nietzsche was all about reversing this moral progression which he saw as against evolving nature and life and degenerative. Of course the Protestants and Catholics certainly screwed up he NT ethos along the way. Somehow love your enemy got turned into burn anyone who doesn't repeat your Creed. Many secular nontheists have actually made this argument of the Bible providing a cultural Evolution toward modern morality, for example consider Robert Wright's The Evolution of God and Dominion by Tom Holland which I already mentioned. I think Christianity plus the separation of church and state was genius. But when I study the New Testament compared with The Iliad and Odyssey and the Viking Eddas, Etc, I find that the NT contains a clear progression in moral consciousness.

If anyone here is not into reading just check out the new movie Baltic Tribes (
https://youtu.be/ohTCP1joDZE) and ask yourself if you would like to return to pre Christian morality.

I also don't think Christianity is the only moral model as Buddhism and Confucianism provide something similar. I guess my only point was that as an American I can't deny that I am a Christian atheist.

Date: January 15, 2021 02:52AM

A few thoughts.

First, I believe you are wrong on Nietzsche. He was not advocating the breakdown of Christian morality (he loved Dostoevsky's The Idiot, which is about Jesus; and he wrote of Jesus as a "superman") but was instead concerned with what he saw as the gradual perversion of Christianity, the transformation of a life-affirming faith into a set of principles used to contain and constrain the human spirit. He was also concerned about the decline of Christianity in Europe (Twilight of the Idols, Beyond Good and Evil) as a motivating force in society. That's what he meant when he said God is dead: that in the late 19th century no one took the Christian God seriously anymore.

Second, Christianity has always been about disrespecting those who embrace other creeds. The Jews were the first victims, followed by the gnostics and other forms of Christianity, then the enemies of Roman power and the heathen peoples of Europe, finally the Catholic/Protestants in a series of sanguinary conflicts that culminated in the 30 Years War. And thereafter Christianity fused with nationalism to produce aggressive parochial movements in Germany, Russia, and many other countries--including the United States. Nor can we forget what Europeans did in the name (or, more accurately, under the guise) of Christianity in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. And through it all, the Jews remained targets.

Third, I think you are wrong to compare the NT, a product of the second and third centuries of the Christian era, to the Iliad and the Odyssey or the Viking sagas. Why? Because the proper comparison is the Hebrew epic, the OT, which was written at roughly the same time as Homer and exhibited the same evils. The truth is that today's liberal, progressive moral systems--be they European, Indian, or Sinocentric--all evolved at roughly the same time, during and after the Axial Age. And there are equally or more moral systems in many less prominent parts of the world.

But all of that is beside the point. I agree with you that people who grew up in the United States or other Western countries are products of modern Christianity. That is unavoidable, for better or worse.

Posted by: G. Salviati ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 09:57AM

LW:

I am not qualified to comment on most of this post, so I accept and appreciate the information and opinions provided. However, I do feel qualified to take issue on two points:

"The truth is that today's liberal, progressive moral systems--be they European, Indian, or Sinocentric--all evolved at roughly the same time, during and after the Axial Age. And there are equally or more moral systems in many less prominent parts of the world."

My concern here is the use of the term "moral systems," in that I am not sure what a moral system is. Presumably, identifying a moral system would require identification of the defining moral principles of that system, and distinguishing one moral system from another would require identifying points of divergence. I question whether this can be done in a way that generates discrete "systems," particularly given the complexities of culture, the verities of human experience, and the verities of the moral intuitions of the members of that culture. (It strikes me as similar to the problem of "species" in biology, except even more difficult, because at least with species we can appeal to genetic units (the gene) and a genetic record (population) to assist. With respect to morality there are no such natural units from which to generate a "system."

"But all of that is beside the point. I agree with you that people who grew up in the United States or other Western countries are products of modern Christianity. That is unavoidable, for better or worse."

This is another generality that I find objectionable. It is one thing to suggest that people growing up in the US to some extent must have been *influenced* by modern Christianity, because Christianity is so deeply ingrained in US culture. But to say that they are "products" of modern Christianity is an overstatement of the effects of that culture. People are products of a host of influences; biological, cultural, contingent personal experiences, and (in my mind) their own free choices within the context of such influences.

I would add an objection to your suggestion that the effects of cultural influences (rather than just the influences themselves) are "unavoidable." Again, a universal generalization that over-simplifies the nature of human beings, and in particular undermines their ability to transcend their cultural heritage (and other influences) in matters of morality.

Date: January 15, 2021 06:20PM

I don't know if I was supposed to click reply, still learning this message board. So here is my reply:

Lot's Wife,

What I said about Nietzsche was, "Nietzsche was all about reversing this moral progression which he saw as against evolving nature and life and degenerative." I wrote that after spending the last year during the pandemic reading or listening to Nietzsche's work. You are right that Nietzsche respected the historical Jesus, but I would add that he did so through the lens of the liberal Christian scholarship he learned while studying to be a minister like his father. However, I collected notes of what Nietzsche thought of Jesus which are about 30 pages of what he said, and what I think you will find is that he had mixed feelings about the Jesus character in The Bible and the morality of the Bible. On one hand he respected Jesus as a kind of free spirit in that created his own ethic that went against his fellow Jews on various matters. However if you look at certain passages in "thus spoke zarathustra" which I've just read recently in two different translations to make sure I was understanding it correctly, he also criticizes the biblical Jesus and basically says that if Jesus lived longer he would have changed his mind on his overall moral perspective. Nietzsche's character Zarathustra, as I'm sure you know, as you appear to be well-read, is meant to counteract the morality of Judaism and the NT which had been influenced by Zoroastrianism in splitting the world into metaphysical Good and Evil, what we moderns refer to as right and wrong.

With respect, I don't know how you can disagree with my statement, "Nietzsche was all about reversing this moral progression which he saw as against evolving nature and life and degenerative." That seems to me to be the general consensus among Nietzsche scholars, no? Nietzsche saw the morel progression of European Christianity with its ascetic ideals and vision of a utopian world of peace where the first shall be last (basically what many in the Woke cultural movement dreams of now, whether you agree or disagree with how they're going about it) was against what he called the rank order of nature itself. After Nietzsche's madman proclaimed the death of God as an existential crisis he goes on to imply that we must become gods ourselves to deal with our science killing the biblical God. Nietzsche's solution is the reversal of Christian morality of compassion for the weaker and unfortunate and it's condemnation of the rich and powerful. I can quote you over and over again from thus spoke zarathustra, his favorite book he wrote. At one point he says there is no truth and all is permitted, to paraphrase. This is where Jordan Peterson Parts ways with Nietzsche. However, to be fair Nietzsche himself was a rather polite and civilized individual, and in the dawn he does say that he thinks some acts shouldn't be acted out on practical grounds. Yet at the same time he sought to hammer away every moral edifice for deciding right and wrong so that in the end there is no metaphysical right or wrong and so it really came down to the strong minded individual deciding what was in their own best interest selfishly toward their own Will To Power along the lines of being true to the earth and the natural cycles of Life herself and evolution toward the Superhuman genus (note that scholars are divided on whether this superhuman species was meant to be metaphorical or literal). This is why I said that Nietzsche saw Christian values and virtues as degenerative, he saw that it domesticated higher men from achieving their greatness. He not only admired Jesus and Goethe but also Caesar and Napoleon! Nietzsche argued for a higher type of man rising above the Christian herd (who have been moralized into domestication), overcoming their Christian morality and forming their own values based on aristocratic noble values of the Greco-Romans, and then dying as brave warriors to the Earth so that their spirit would go across the bridge to the Superhuman (Overman). That is the replacement of the Christian moral ideal for a natural pagan mysticism where darwinian evolution is spiritualised. Nietzsche disagreed with certain aspects of Darwinism but did not deny the general principles that life evolves into new life or as he says life cuts into itself. Nietzsche's God was amoral Life which he mythologized as Dionysus, and he makes this clear in his autobiography that he's all about Dionysus versus the Crucified. In other words he was presenting what scholars call a "dionysian pantheism" versus moralistic Christianity. So I'm struggling to see where I was "wrong" in my statement above about Nietzsche?

As for your second part I don't disagree with you. I think we are just presenting different aspects of Christian history. There are two layers to Christian history. There is a layer that you are discussing which should not be ignored and I agree should be condemned. But then there is another layer where Christianity provided a mythic storyline toward generating a more just society and a civil morality we moderns enjoy today. I don't think you would disagree with that. I'm also distinguishing between New Testament Christianity and the later forms of Christianity that evolved after Constantine. I think that a lot of what Christianity became would be condemned and criticized by the New Testament authors. For example, there are a lot of biblical scholars including Jewish ones who have attempted to help educate modern Christians that the parts of the New Testament that sound anti-semitic are actually not because of the authors, who turn out to be Jews themselves. So what I am getting at is yes post Constantine Christianity has anti-semitism as a stain on their traditions, No Doubt. But I think a careful scholarly reading of the New Testament texts themselves (for example see the Jewish annotated New Testament) that the texts themselves are not anti-semitic but simply Jewish Christians arguing with Jewish Christians and using unfortunate language that was later misinterpreted by Pagan Christian converts. This is actually not my opinion but the opinion of many Jewish scholars. This is important because if we are going to Stamp Out anti-Semitism within the Christian tradition then we have to help non-Jewish Christians understand the history.

You wrote, "Third, I think you are wrong to compare the NT, a product of the second and third centuries of the Christian era, to the Iliad and the Odyssey or the Viking sagas. Why?" I'm not going to begin by saying "you are wrong" but I will appeal to you maybe being mistaken. I have studied the history of the New Testament best I can and from what I can gather, the New Testament texts themselves were chosen by the early Christian communities and the most popular documents were formulated rather early on. I believe I've heard that from agnostic scholars like Bart Ehrman. I am pretty sure the early Christian communities decided the the basic outline of the Canon themselves before the third Century. If memory serves me there were certain documents that were continued to be under dispute like the Book of Revelation. But the general outline was there from the beginning. In other words I think if you were a Christian living in 120 CE, I think your Christian Community would have a collection of Christian documents that looked very similar to the Bible we have today. Yes it's true that it was later that the Bible collection became official, but I think there was a progression of collecting the documents based on popularity. I think you will find that this is standard Biblical scholarship consensus.

You asked why do I compare the Viking Eddas to the New Testament. Well I happen to be of Scandinavian ancestry and I am very proud of my Viking ancestors and don't judge them for living during the pre-christian era as they were following the general Pagan Morality that everyone did pre Christianity. Yet I had to be honest in admitting that Christianity definitely added civility. If you look at the Scandinavian countries today, it is clear to me that even though they no longer attend church and don't consider themselves Christians supernaturally or creedally, they are clearly acting out the Christian ethic and vision.

I am currently listening to an audiobook of the Viking Eddas and at one point, if I recall correctly a viking talks about holding a woman down and asking for Oden's help in basically raping her. At the beginning of the audio the narrator Jack Crawford mentions this and argues that we should withhold judgment as this was a time before modern morality. You won't find that in the New Testament will you?

Yes you are right about the Old Testament, I don't disagree, but I think you're missing the value of the New Testament insights and ethical revolution in that it used Jewish midrash or what Richard Hay's calls figural reading in taking the Old Testament stories and refiguring them or retelling them through a new moral visual lens. The genius of the New Testament authors is that they sought to reverse the might makes right pagan moral system where the gods rewarded the rich and the powerful by presenting instead a new hero as a crucified God. Going back to Nietzsche this was the whole point of Nietzsche's genealogy of morals. Nietzsche was pointing out what Christianity had done. If you, Lot's Wife, believe that people have intrinsic value as a "soul," or something akin to his soul, Nietzsche disagrees. If you believe we should follow certain customs of morality and practice civility because that's the "right thing to do," Nietzsche disagrees. Nietzsche argues that there is no platonic Truth, that everything is transient and even physics is an interpretation, the only reality is "evolving forms" and evolutionary dominance hierarchies as the cosmic Will To Power which is this Amoral Force that seeks to grow and exploit other forms, or combined with them, and cut into itself and regrow anew. This is why Nietzsche found Christian morality as degenerative, as he saw it as Plato for the masses, and a denial of evolving Life (the only true "God" - Dionysus).

The New Testament authors sought to reverse the moral order of paganisms, where Gods rewarded the strong over the weak, e.g. Zeus was a rapist, and Caesar as Lord and Savior of Rome created peace through War and enslaving the conquered who then could be used as sexual property by their slave masters. This was morality pre NT. I am currently reading Dennis McDonald's Mythologizing Jesus: From Jewish Teacher to Epic Hero, he is not a fundamentalist Christian (he may be an atheist I'm not sure), but what he points out is that what the New Testament did through their artistic genius was refigure the homeric epics by using them to recast the hero avatar as having what we moderns consider civil ethics. Here's a video showing a brief summary:
https://youtu.be/tQ4yOVXWmEg

So I will end on that and say I greatly enjoy this discussion and debate. It helps me collect my thoughts and better organize my conclusions. I also think you bring up some very important historical realities and I agree with those assessments.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 05:31AM

Same for me and most American and European atheists: we're all "Christian" atheists because it's what we left behind. I know "muslim" atheists here in France, too. I wondered whether it might be more difficult for Hindus, for example, because atheism for them means not believing in so many gods that just renouncing them might take months ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 05:32AM by Soft Machine.

Date: January 15, 2021 05:37PM

Lot's Wife,

What I said about Nietzsche was, "Nietzsche was all about reversing this moral progression which he saw as against evolving nature and life and degenerative." I wrote that after spending the last year during the pandemic reading or listening to Nietzsche's work. You are right that Nietzsche respected the historical Jesus, but I would add that he did so through the lens of the liberal Christian scholarship he learned while studying to be a minister like his father. However, I collected notes of what Nietzsche thought of Jesus which are about 30 pages of what he said, and what I think you will find is that he had mixed feelings about the Jesus character in The Bible and the morality of the Bible. On one hand he respected Jesus as a kind of free spirit in that created his own ethic that went against his fellow Jews on various matters. However if you look at certain passages in "thus spoke zarathustra" which I've just read recently in two different translations to make sure I was understanding it correctly, he also criticizes the biblical Jesus and basically says that if Jesus lived longer he would have changed his mind on his overall moral perspective. Nietzsche's character Zarathustra, as I'm sure you know, as you appear to be well-read, is meant to counteract the morality of Judaism and the NT which had been influenced by Zoroastrianism in splitting the world into metaphysical Good and Evil, what we moderns refer to as right and wrong.

With respect, I don't know how you can disagree with my statement, "Nietzsche was all about reversing this moral progression which he saw as against evolving nature and life and degenerative." That seems to me to be the general consensus among Nietzsche scholars, no? Nietzsche saw the morel progression of European Christianity with its ascetic ideals and vision of a utopian world of peace where the first shall be last (basically what many in the Woke cultural movement dreams of now, whether you agree or disagree with how they're going about it) was against what he called the rank order of nature itself. After Nietzsche's madman proclaimed the death of God as an existential crisis he goes on to imply that we must become gods ourselves to deal with our science killing the biblical God. Nietzsche's solution is the reversal of Christian morality of compassion for the weaker and unfortunate and it's condemnation of the rich and powerful. I can quote you over and over again from thus spoke zarathustra, his favorite book he wrote. At one point he says there is no truth and all is permitted, to paraphrase. This is where Jordan Peterson Parts ways with Nietzsche. However, to be fair Nietzsche himself was a rather polite and civilized individual, and in the dawn he does say that he thinks some acts shouldn't be acted out on practical grounds. Yet at the same time he sought to hammer away every moral edifice for deciding right and wrong so that in the end there is no metaphysical right or wrong and so it really came down to the strong minded individual deciding what was in their own best interest selfishly toward their own Will To Power along the lines of being true to the earth and the natural cycles of Life herself and evolution toward the Superhuman genus (note that scholars are divided on whether this superhuman species was meant to be metaphorical or literal). This is why I said that Nietzsche saw Christian values and virtues as degenerative, he saw that it domesticated higher men from achieving their greatness. He not only admired Jesus and Goethe but also Caesar and Napoleon! Nietzsche argued for a higher type of man rising above the Christian herd (who have been moralized into domestication), overcoming their Christian morality and forming their own values based on aristocratic noble values of the Greco-Romans, and then dying as brave warriors to the Earth so that their spirit would go across the bridge to the Superhuman (Overman). That is the replacement of the Christian moral ideal for a natural pagan mysticism where darwinian evolution is spiritualised. Nietzsche disagreed with certain aspects of Darwinism but did not deny the general principles that life evolves into new life or as he says life cuts into itself. Nietzsche's God was amoral Life which he mythologized as Dionysus, and he makes this clear in his autobiography that he's all about Dionysus versus the Crucified. In other words he was presenting what scholars call a "dionysian pantheism" versus moralistic Christianity. So I'm struggling to see where I was "wrong" in my statement above about Nietzsche?

As for your second part I don't disagree with you. I think we are just presenting different aspects of Christian history. There are two layers to Christian history. There is a layer that you are discussing which should not be ignored and I agree should be condemned. But then there is another layer where Christianity provided a mythic storyline toward generating a more just society and a civil morality we moderns enjoy today. I don't think you would disagree with that. I'm also distinguishing between New Testament Christianity and the later forms of Christianity that evolved after Constantine. I think that a lot of what Christianity became would be condemned and criticized by the New Testament authors. For example, there are a lot of biblical scholars including Jewish ones who have attempted to help educate modern Christians that the parts of the New Testament that sound anti-semitic are actually not because of the authors, who turn out to be Jews themselves. So what I am getting at is yes post Constantine Christianity has anti-semitism as a stain on their traditions, No Doubt. But I think a careful scholarly reading of the New Testament texts themselves (for example see the Jewish annotated New Testament) that the texts themselves are not anti-semitic but simply Jewish Christians arguing with Jewish Christians and using unfortunate language that was later misinterpreted by Pagan Christian converts. This is actually not my opinion but the opinion of many Jewish scholars. This is important because if we are going to Stamp Out anti-Semitism within the Christian tradition then we have to help non-Jewish Christians understand the history.

You wrote, "Third, I think you are wrong to compare the NT, a product of the second and third centuries of the Christian era, to the Iliad and the Odyssey or the Viking sagas. Why?" I'm not going to begin by saying "you are wrong" but I will appeal to you maybe being mistaken. I have studied the history of the New Testament best I can and from what I can gather, the New Testament texts themselves were chosen by the early Christian communities and the most popular documents were formulated rather early on. I believe I've heard that from agnostic scholars like Bart Ehrman. I am pretty sure the early Christian communities decided the the basic outline of the Canon themselves before the third Century. If memory serves me there were certain documents that were continued to be under dispute like the Book of Revelation. But the general outline was there from the beginning. In other words I think if you were a Christian living in 120 CE, I think your Christian Community would have a collection of Christian documents that looked very similar to the Bible we have today. Yes it's true that it was later that the Bible collection became official, but I think there was a progression of collecting the documents based on popularity. I think you will find that this is standard Biblical scholarship consensus.

You asked why do I compare the Viking Eddas to the New Testament. Well I happen to be of Scandinavian ancestry and I am very proud of my Viking ancestors and don't judge them for living during the pre-christian era as they were following the general Pagan Morality that everyone did pre Christianity. Yet I had to be honest in admitting that Christianity definitely added civility. If you look at the Scandinavian countries today, it is clear to me that even though they no longer attend church and don't consider themselves Christians supernaturally or creedally, they are clearly acting out the Christian ethic and vision.

I am currently listening to an audiobook of the Viking Eddas and at one point, if I recall correctly a viking talks about holding a woman down and asking for Oden's help in basically raping her. At the beginning of the audio the narrator Jack Crawford mentions this and argues that we should withhold judgment as this was a time before modern morality. You won't find that in the New Testament will you?

Yes you are right about the Old Testament, I don't disagree, but I think you're missing the value of the New Testament insights and ethical revolution in that it used Jewish midrash or what Richard Hay's calls figural reading in taking the Old Testament stories and refiguring them or retelling them through a new moral visual lens. The genius of the New Testament authors is that they sought to reverse the might makes right pagan moral system where the gods rewarded the rich and the powerful by presenting instead a new hero as a crucified God. Going back to Nietzsche this was the whole point of Nietzsche's genealogy of morals. Nietzsche was pointing out what Christianity had done. If you, Lot's Wife, believe that people have intrinsic value as a "soul," or something akin to his soul, Nietzsche disagrees. If you believe we should follow certain customs of morality and practice civility because that's the "right thing to do," Nietzsche disagrees. Nietzsche argues that there is no platonic Truth, that everything is transient and even physics is an interpretation, the only reality is "evolving forms" and evolutionary dominance hierarchies as the cosmic Will To Power which is this Amoral Force that seeks to grow and exploit other forms, or combined with them, and cut into itself and regrow anew. This is why Nietzsche found Christian morality as degenerative, as he saw it as Plato for the masses, and a denial of evolving Life (the only true "God" - Dionysus).

The New Testament authors sought to reverse the moral order of paganisms, where Gods rewarded the strong over the weak, e.g. Zeus was a rapist, and Caesar as Lord and Savior of Rome created peace through War and enslaving the conquered who then could be used as sexual property by their slave masters. This was morality pre NT. I am currently reading Dennis McDonald's Mythologizing Jesus: From Jewish Teacher to Epic Hero, he is not a fundamentalist Christian (he may be an atheist I'm not sure), but what he points out is that what the New Testament did through their artistic genius was refigure the homeric epics by using them to recast the hero avatar as having what we moderns consider civil ethics. Here's a video showing a brief summary:
https://youtu.be/tQ4yOVXWmEg

So I will end on that and say I greatly enjoy this discussion and debate. It helps me collect my thoughts and better organize my conclusions. I also think you bring up some very important historical realities and I agree with those assessments.

Date: January 15, 2021 08:44PM

Okay, this time it made more sense ...

Date: January 16, 2021 03:30AM

Time in Motion, forgive me for only replying to some bits and pieces of what you write.

First, it isn't correct that the Christian communities had selected the core documents by 120 AD. As Ehrman writes in Lost Christianities, Misquoting Jesus, and other works, the early Christian community was divided and evolving in different directions; left to its own devices, the movement would likely have split into several religions. The homogenization started with Paul's dramatic reinterpretation of the little that Jesus is supposed to have said, proceeded through sometimes brutal conflicts between the Church Fathers, and ended with Nicaea. The resulting religion was imposed largely by force.

Now Nietzsche. Some of what you say confuses me. N never wanted to be a preacher; theology was a required subject in his gymnasium, and he got high grades in it, but he never voluntarily studied it let alone intended to become a minister. Moreover, he never wrote an autobiography. He hated Christianity with a passion; to him it was the status-conscious, child-suppressing religion of the grandmother, mother and aunts who raised him in extremely conservative fashion. To the extent that he praised Jesus, it was Jesus the iconoclast and not the image that emerged from the Pauline-Church Fathers-Constantinian process.

On the Superman, I think you misunderstand N's use of metaphor. At various times his model for the Superman was Jesus ("the idiot" in some of his books), Dionysus (the image of a creator God), and Zarathustra. At no point did N seek to eliminate the Zoroastrian influence on Christianity (I think you mean Manichean, actually). To the contrary, Zarathustra is Zoroaster, the father of Zoroastrianism. The point, though, was that Jesus, like Zarathustra and Buddha and some others, were creators of new moral systems. He wanted his new Superman to be like that, to engender a radical new vision for humanity that would unite people in achieving higher aspirations.

N did think the new religion would need to be atheistic since theistic religions had lost their power over people. But to him "religion" meant cultural vision and whether there was a Western God involved, an atheistic Hindu/Buddhist vision of reality, or some form of scientific materialism didn't matter much to him. The notion that physics was illusory accordingly strikes me as wide of the mark. He was not a Taoist who denounced scientific and intellectual pursuits; in fact, he despised those who in the name of religion rejected scientific and historical fact.

His treatment of Jews was metaphorical as well. He chose Judaism/Christianity as his foil in some of his books, but not all. And Jews were among his closest friends. His relationship with Wagner is important in that regard. He loved the man but then parted ways over the latter's anti-Semitism, which N found appalling. A lot of the detail was perverted by his sister, who managed his documents after he went insane, but Judaism in his writings was a symbol of intellectual repression rather than the religion and people themselves.

Finally, I think you put too much emphasis on Thus Spake Zarathustra. That is the most poetic, the most speculative of his books; and it should probably be seen more like the Koran than the literalistic Bible. TSZ is a song of praise, not a blueprint. His more detailed thinking is in the other books. And it was not a madman who said "God is dead:" it was N himself, and he said it more than once.

Date: January 16, 2021 11:48PM

Lot's Wife,

[Forgive the duplicate sill figuring out the site]

I did not say “ the Christian communities had selected the core documents by 120 AD.” I said “the early Christian communities decided the the basic outline of the Canon themselves” and the early communities likely had “a collection of Christian documents that looked very similar” (note the words: very similar) to the later official canon and I then clearly said, “it's true that it was later that the Bible collection became official.” As you can see I did not say as you falsely claim “the Christian communities had selected the core documents by 120 AD.” So you are countering with a Straw Man. I agree with what you wrote after that because I have read or skimmed much of Ehrman myself and what you wrote actually harmonizes with what I wrote because it appears we have read the same stuff.

I have read or listened via audiobook to most of Nietzsche and consulted scholars on N, so I am surprised you are so confidently disagreeing with me. You wrote: “N never wanted to be a preacher; theology was a required subject in his gymnasium, and he got high grades in it, but he never voluntarily studied it let alone intended to become a minister.” I didn't have the patience to read through all the bios I read on N on my kindle to quote to you how you are mistaken, so I just googled it and this popped up first thing: “After graduation in September 1864,[59] Nietzsche began studying theology and classical philology at the University of Bonn in the hope of becoming a minister.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche
I realized it is Wikipedia so I then saw this, “By 1864, he focused his attention on becoming a minister and began studying theology and philology at the University of Bonn.” Source: http://www.philosophicallibrary.com/german-philosopher-friedrich-nietzsche/

You said N. never wrote an autobiography. So I googled that and found several places that explain that his book Ecce Homo is an autobiography.

I agree N hated Christianity with a passion. So now you appear to agree with me on that from previously saying in your first confidently claiming I am wrong, “He was not advocating the breakdown of Christian morality” (Date: January 15, 2021 02:52AM). You then wrote “To the extent that he praised Jesus, it was Jesus the iconoclast and not the image that emerged from the Pauline-Church Fathers-Constantinian process.” Yes I’d say that is correct, which he covers in his book The Antichrist. But again, he did however not only praise Jesus but also criticized Jesus as well for being partially responsible for Christian mortality. Here is a good example of what I am talking about where he criticizes Jesus’ moral ethic: see http://nietzsche.holtof.com/reader/friedrich-nietzsche/human-all-too-human/aphorism-87-quote_a576767c1.html

I just read TSZ where he further criticizes Jesus’ ethic and Christian morality, but I don’t have the patience to quote from it, but if you read it yourself you will see what I mean. I recommend the Graham Parkes translation for seeing all the NT references provided in footnotes (which are quite illuminating), showing that he was replacing the good and ethical role-model-Jesus with his beyond Right and Wrong, anti role model Zarathustra the godless. It is clear if you read TSZ that Zarathustra is an anti-Christ, a reversal of Jesus’ ethic of kindness, giving, caring for the poor and the needy. N wants his readers who are higher men (elite men), above the rabble, to return to the Greco Roman ethic and become “hard,” (tough), avoiding “Christian” pity/compassion, and by dying as hyperboreans (as he put is elsewhere) their “spirit” can then pass on into future generations and evolve the superhuman species (either memetically/culturally or genetically is unclear), so that a new post-Christian band of higher “men” (or perhaps new hominids) will rule over the leftover human rabble. He repeatedly says in TSZ that mankind is basically polluted by Christian morality and so Christian men need to die off so a new species can emerge that say Yes to the earth and evolving Life. I learned this in part from reading his notes when writing TSZ.

At this point in my response, I’d like to know your sources because it is the opposite of everything I have read from what I consider the top Nietzsche scholars. For example, you say, “At no point did N seek to eliminate the Zoroastrian influence on Christianity … To the contrary, Zarathustra is Zoroaster, the father of Zoroastrianism.” In all due respect, are you serious! I’m baffled. Nietzsche’s makes it clear in Ecce Homo:
“I have not been asked, as I should have been asked, what the name ‘Zarathustra’ means in precisely my mouth, in the mouth of the first immoralist: for what constitutes the tremendous uniqueness of that Persian in history is precisely the opposite of this. Zarathustra was the first to see in the struggle between good and evil the actual wheel in the working of things: the translation of morality into the realm of metaphysics, as force, cause, end-in-itself, is his work. But this question is itself at bottom its own answer. Zarathustra created this most fateful of errors, morality: consequently he must also be the first to recognize it. Not only has he had longer and greater experience here than any other thinker…what is more important is that Zarathustra is more truthful than any other thinker. His teaching, and his alone, upholds truthfulness as the supreme virtue…To tell the truth and to shoot well with arrows: that is Persian virtue. – Have I been understood? The self-overcoming of morality through truthfulness, the self-overcoming of the moralist into his opposite – into me – that is what the name Zarathustra means in my mouth.”
He was using Zarathustra so the reader thinks of dualistic Zoroastrianism which N is seeking to unravel and reverse with his immoralist monism. Have you actually read Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Ecce Homo, etc? I really am struggling to understand how you can get N. so wrong yet express your views so confidently. Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thus_Spoke_Zarathustra#Synopsis

You wrote “He wanted his new Superman to be like that, to engender a radical new vision for humanity that would unite people in achieving higher aspirations.” I think you have a watered down liberal Nietzsche you read somewhere, or something. Superman/Overman is not meant to inspire people today to higher aspirations like Jesus did for Christians, the free spirits and higher men like Napoleon or Goethe (or Nietzsche and his Zarathustra) are meant to do that. The Superhuman is not a goal for men now, but is an unclear future hope for a new post-Christian species or culture. Just as we evolved past homo erectus to become homo sapiens, and evolved beyond Romans into Christians, N likely expected his higher men to live in such a way so as to pass on a new spirit into future generations that would evolve humans into something else, the Supermen or Overman/Beyond-moral-man. He begins TSZ saying I love those who die as higher men so their spirit passes over the bridge to the Overman. The Overman is what comes after civilized human beings. OK, in a way sure the Superman is meant to replace the Christian God and the Messiah species, so in a way I guess it can be seen as an inspiration. But it is not so innocent as you make it sound, N was a nihilist, an optimistic one, but still a nihilist. His god was Dionysus, the personification of the amoral will to power.

Regarding scientific materialism, I have read almost everything he wrote and he very much despised scientific materialism, as what he called the will to truth. He was influenced by Heraclitus. He promoted only practical truths toward exercising your will to power, but if truth was not useful, then lying was OK. He was pro science yes, as practically useful, but did not care much for logic and constantly broke all the rules of formal logic with for example his constant ad hominems, etc.

Yes, I am aware of Wagner and his sister. So we agree there. Except that I think there have been a lot of liberal professors at University that have tried to gloss over Nietzsche’s full attitude of the Jews. He was not what we’d call an anti-Semite, but he probably held an elitist prejudge against Jews like many did. He had mixed things to say about Jews and Judaism to say the least. For example, here is what one person writes on N and anti-Semitism, “In another place, Nietzsche writes that Jewish scholars support logic because logic “makes no distinction between crooked and straight noses” (TGS 348). Source: https://www.atlassociety.org/post/nietzsche-and-the-jews-judaism-and-anti-semitism
Read the whole short article in the link for the full context.
Many scholars find that his last works are a commentary on TSZ and N himself said TSZ is his best book or something to that effect. So I don’t think you should try to distance yourself from TSZ. But we agree that his other books should be read along with TSZ. Regarding your last statement you seem to just want to disagree with me through straw men arguments. You said, “And it was not a madman who said ‘God is dead:" You then said N said it not the madman. I actually wrote, “Nietzsche’s madman …” so OF COURSE I know N said it, as the madman is a character in HIS parable. Yeesh! Even more, the madman does say: “Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.”

Date: January 16, 2021 11:45PM

Lot's Wife,

I did not say “ the Christian communities had selected the core documents by 120 AD.” I said “the early Christian communities decided the the basic outline of the Canon themselves” and the early communities likely had “a collection of Christian documents that looked very similar” (note the words: very similar) to the later official canon and I then clearly said, “it's true that it was later that the Bible collection became official.” As you can see I did not say as you falsely claim “the Christian communities had selected the core documents by 120 AD.” So you are countering with a Straw Man. I agree with what you wrote after that because I have read or skimmed much of Ehrman myself and what you wrote actually harmonizes with what I wrote because it appears we have read the same stuff.

I have read or listened via audiobook to most of Nietzsche and consulted scholars on N, so I am surprised you are so confidently disagreeing with me. You wrote: “N never wanted to be a preacher; theology was a required subject in his gymnasium, and he got high grades in it, but he never voluntarily studied it let alone intended to become a minister.” I didn't have the patience to read through all the bios I read on N on my kindle to quote to you how you are mistaken, so I just googled it and this popped up first thing: “After graduation in September 1864,[59] Nietzsche began studying theology and classical philology at the University of Bonn in the hope of becoming a minister.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche
I realized it is Wikipedia so I then saw this, “By 1864, he focused his attention on becoming a minister and began studying theology and philology at the University of Bonn.” Source: http://www.philosophicallibrary.com/german-philosopher-friedrich-nietzsche/

You said N. never wrote an autobiography. So I googled that and found several places that explain that his book Ecce Homo is an autobiography.

I agree N hated Christianity with a passion. So now you appear to agree with me on that from previously saying in your first confidently claiming I am wrong, “He was not advocating the breakdown of Christian morality” (Date: January 15, 2021 02:52AM). You then wrote “To the extent that he praised Jesus, it was Jesus the iconoclast and not the image that emerged from the Pauline-Church Fathers-Constantinian process.” Yes I’d say that is correct, which he covers in his book The Antichrist. But again, he did however not only praise Jesus but also criticized Jesus as well for being partially responsible for Christian mortality. Here is a good example of what I am talking about where he criticizes Jesus’ moral ethic: see http://nietzsche.holtof.com/reader/friedrich-nietzsche/human-all-too-human/aphorism-87-quote_a576767c1.html

I just read TSZ where he further criticizes Jesus’ ethic and Christian morality, but I don’t have the patience to quote from it, but if you read it yourself you will see what I mean. I recommend the Graham Parkes translation for seeing all the NT references provided in footnotes (which are quite illuminating), showing that he was replacing the good and ethical role-model-Jesus with his beyond Right and Wrong, anti role model Zarathustra the godless. It is clear if you read TSZ that Zarathustra is an anti-Christ, a reversal of Jesus’ ethic of kindness, giving, caring for the poor and the needy. N wants his readers who are higher men (elite men), above the rabble, to return to the Greco Roman ethic and become “hard,” (tough), avoiding “Christian” pity/compassion, and by dying as hyperboreans (as he put is elsewhere) their “spirit” can then pass on into future generations and evolve the superhuman species (either memetically/culturally or genetically is unclear), so that a new post-Christian band of higher “men” (or perhaps new hominids) will rule over the leftover human rabble. He repeatedly says in TSZ that mankind is basically polluted by Christian morality and so Christian men need to die off so a new species can emerge that say Yes to the earth and evolving Life. I learned this in part from reading his notes when writing TSZ.

At this point in my response, I’d like to know your sources because it is the opposite of everything I have read from what I consider the top Nietzsche scholars. For example, you say, “At no point did N seek to eliminate the Zoroastrian influence on Christianity … To the contrary, Zarathustra is Zoroaster, the father of Zoroastrianism.” In all due respect, are you serious! I’m baffled. Nietzsche’s makes it clear in Ecce Homo:
“I have not been asked, as I should have been asked, what the name ‘Zarathustra’ means in precisely my mouth, in the mouth of the first immoralist: for what constitutes the tremendous uniqueness of that Persian in history is precisely the opposite of this. Zarathustra was the first to see in the struggle between good and evil the actual wheel in the working of things: the translation of morality into the realm of metaphysics, as force, cause, end-in-itself, is his work. But this question is itself at bottom its own answer. Zarathustra created this most fateful of errors, morality: consequently he must also be the first to recognize it. Not only has he had longer and greater experience here than any other thinker…what is more important is that Zarathustra is more truthful than any other thinker. His teaching, and his alone, upholds truthfulness as the supreme virtue…To tell the truth and to shoot well with arrows: that is Persian virtue. – Have I been understood? The self-overcoming of morality through truthfulness, the self-overcoming of the moralist into his opposite – into me – that is what the name Zarathustra means in my mouth.”
He was using Zarathustra so the reader thinks of dualistic Zoroastrianism which N is seeking to unravel and reverse with his immoralist monism. Have you actually read Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Ecce Homo, etc? I really am struggling to understand how you can get N. so wrong yet express your views so confidently. Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thus_Spoke_Zarathustra#Synopsis

You wrote “He wanted his new Superman to be like that, to engender a radical new vision for humanity that would unite people in achieving higher aspirations.” I think you have a watered down liberal Nietzsche you read somewhere, or something. Superman/Overman is not meant to inspire people today to higher aspirations like Jesus did for Christians, the free spirits and higher men like Napoleon or Goethe (or Nietzsche and his Zarathustra) are meant to do that. The Superhuman is not a goal for men now, but is an unclear future hope for a new post-Christian species or culture. Just as we evolved past homo erectus to become homo sapiens, and evolved beyond Romans into Christians, N likely expected his higher men to live in such a way so as to pass on a new spirit into future generations that would evolve humans into something else, the Supermen or Overman/Beyond-moral-man. He begins TSZ saying I love those who die as higher men so their spirit passes over the bridge to the Overman. The Overman is what comes after civilized human beings. OK, in a way sure the Superman is meant to replace the Christian God and the Messiah species, so in a way I guess it can be seen as an inspiration. But it is not so innocent as you make it sound, N was a nihilist, an optimistic one, but still a nihilist. His god was Dionysus, the personification of the amoral will to power.

Regarding scientific materialism, I have read almost everything he wrote and he very much despised scientific materialism, as what he called the will to truth. He was influenced by Heraclitus. He promoted only practical truths toward exercising your will to power, but if truth was not useful, then lying was OK. He was pro science yes, as practically useful, but did not care much for logic and constantly broke all the rules of formal logic with for example his constant ad hominems, etc.

Yes, I am aware of Wagner and his sister. So we agree there. Except that I think there have been a lot of liberal professors at University that have tried to gloss over Nietzsche’s full attitude of the Jews. He was not what we’d call an anti-Semite, but he probably held an elitist prejudge against Jews like many did. He had mixed things to say about Jews and Judaism to say the least. For example, here is what one person writes on N and anti-Semitism, “In another place, Nietzsche writes that Jewish scholars support logic because logic “makes no distinction between crooked and straight noses” (TGS 348). Source: https://www.atlassociety.org/post/nietzsche-and-the-jews-judaism-and-anti-semitism
Read the whole short article in the link for the full context.
Many scholars find that his last works are a commentary on TSZ and N himself said TSZ is his best book or something to that effect. So I don’t think you should try to distance yourself from TSZ. But we agree that his other books should be read along with TSZ. Regarding your last statement you seem to just want to disagree with me through straw men arguments. You said, “And it was not a madman who said ‘God is dead:" You then said N said it not the madman. I actually wrote, “Nietzsche’s madman …” so OF COURSE I know N said it, as the madman is a character in HIS parable. Yeesh! Even more, the madman does say: “Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.”

Date: January 17, 2021 01:15AM

This is growing tedious.

1) You say that the early Christians had basically reached agreement on canonical texts by 120 AD and without political pressure. You cite Ehrman in support of that, but you then say you haven't really read much Ehrman. That is obvious. You should read the sources you cite because you misconstrue him.

2) You say again that Nietzsche wanted to be a minister. I repeat that is false. He took a class for one semester in college because that was the course to which he was admitted. He dropped it at the earliest possible moment, and his letters show he despised Christianity long before that. If you'd read his letters or a real biography, you would know that he hated Christianity from his early teen years.

3) You said Nietzsche wrote an autobiography. I said he wrote no autobiography. You then indicate Ecco Homo. Say whatever you want, Ecco Homo is NOT an autobiography: an unacknowleged intellectual odyssey, perhaps, but it's not at all an autobiography. Moreover like Geneaology of Morals, it is historically flawed. Nietzsche was a polemicist, not an historian.

4) I said Nietzsche treated Jesus as a Superman but disliked Christianity. You Take issue with that. I stand by my previous comments. As is well understood, Nietzsche used men like Zarathustra and Jesus metaphorically--meaning that he stripped them of much of their actual character and presented them as models. If you can't deal with such contradictions, you'll never understand the philosopher.

5) You really need to read about his relationships with his mother, his aunts, and his grandmother. You cannot understand his hostility to Christianity or even the nature of the Christianity he experienced, without knowing his family background.

6) Next a digression on Thus Spake Zarathustra and Nietzsche's understanding of the prophet. You said he was the origin of binary thinking. Putting aside the fact that the yin-yang dichotomy was already present in China and that the same thing was evident in Indo-Greek thinking from about 1,000 BCE, how much do you think Nietzsche really understood about Zoroastrianism? The Avesta was not translated into English until the 20th century, and it was barely available in other European languages in Nietzsche's day. Furthermore, none of the major Farsi histories of Zoroaster or commentaries on his religion were available to Nietzsche. So I repeat: he used Zarathustra as a metaphor, an icon, and knew very little about the man or his faith.

7) You insist on treating TSZ as if it were a logical text. It is not. It is a song about a Superman, and it ends in its final book on a depressed note because Nietzsche realized he hadn't really succeeded. I'm not sure how you can possibly read that as an exposition of his overall historical philosophy because it was never intended as such.

8) You claim that Nietzsche had an "elite prejudice" against Jews. That is utterly ridiculous. His best friend was a Jew and he respected the Jewish emphasis on education and logic. He abandoned Wagner and a lot of other friends and mentors over anti-semitism and denounced German nationalism for that reason as well.

9) As for "God is dead," you refer to one of his works. In fact, he said it in BGE and at least a third book as well. When he did so in the other books, there was no discussion of a madman at all. They were Nietzsche's words and sentiments. Moreover, when a classically educated writer introduces a madman, he often does so to express transcendent logic. As Foucault showed in detail, Nietzsche was doing what Shakespeare and the ancient Greek playwrights did. The blind man, the fool, the court jester: those were vehicles for the highest truths to a philologist like Nietzsche.

Nietzsche is not the sort of philosopher you can master from books on tape. It takes a lot more effort than that.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 01:01AM

There are certainly Christians here though they are not the majority. I make no secret of my own belief and do not feel a need to convince others even if I could.

Date: January 15, 2021 02:36AM

I think there are many, many Christians here. They are just more circumspect than some of us agnostics/atheists. My hunch is that Christians are in the majority.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 08:50AM

My sense is that at least half of former Mormons move on to another branch of Christianity. I remember years ago someone asked for a Lutheran shout-out, and there were tons of responses. I think people who move on to another Christian denomination tend not to talk about it.

My opinion -- there was a time a number of years ago when Christians were getting shouted down by the atheist/agnostic camp, and I think they went quiet as a result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 08:52AM by summer.

Date: January 16, 2021 03:36AM

I agree.

ETA: It's worth noting that there are a LOT of board readers, and many of them are wicked smart. It's a mistake to assume too readily that we loudmouths are representative of the full RfM community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2021 03:38AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 06:12AM

Adam — I’ve been here since May 2003.

I was an active poster until about 2010.

Very few people identifying as Christians during that era. And much more of the discussions now are semi-off-topic banter between pairs of individuals now, rather than a discussion of the original topic. (Many Internet forums have gone that way in the last 10 years)

Religious folks tend to be big on what “should” be done. How the world “should” be.

I’m much more pragmatic, I’m interested in talking about what any component of the world *is*, and how we can work within that reality to help people and effect change.

RG, Byu grad 1992, 1996, missionary, Hong Kong, 1987-89.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 06:13AM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 11:22AM

I started the site along with Susan I/S joining shortly there after. There was a much larger Christian presence at the very beginning. They did not like the way the board was going with our more agnostic - not allowing preaching guidelines. They secretly emailed among themselves and broke off and formed an ex-Mormon Christian group. I would of helped them, but the way they broke off and the less than kind comments made me glad they were gone. I don't know what happened to them in the past few years.

I did not want this to be a forum to covert ex-Mormons and questioning Mormons to yet another religion. That is an individual decision.

Date: January 15, 2021 12:00PM

Love what you did with the place!

Date: January 15, 2021 06:31PM

I also like what you did Eric. Even though I responded to Lot's Wife above by arguing for an appreciation of the New Testament as mythos in providing a moral mythology that helped future Western cultures evolve into modern civil ethics, I'm in no way defending Fundamentalist Creedal Christianity. I am merely arguing for appreciation historically. I'm an American Christian Atheist not a nietzschean atheist nor a communist atheist, nor a confrontational condescending Dawkins atheist. I am simply a Christian atheist or nontheist. Ironically as a Christian atheist I also reject the bullying tactics of many fundamentalist Evangelical Christians, scaring children with Hellfire and the calvinist god. By the way the agnostic scholar Bart Ehrman just put out a book arguing that Jesus never preached Hellfire eternal torment. I know there are exceptions in the Evangelical Community with the loudest voices being more heard, but quite frankly Evangelical calvinist types are often jerks. Before the covid-19 pandemic, a few years ago I talked the Evangelical Protestant Christian Pastors in my area and I was not impressed. It was such a Negative experience I even thought of going back to Mormonism as a new order Mormon.

P.S. I don't recommend anyone visiting churches during the covid-19 pandemic and recommend everyone following the CDC guidelines.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 11:34AM

Even as an atheist, Christianity is part of my heritage and just as having been a farm boy in Mormon mountain community, and a descendent of Norwegian and Danish immigrants, so does the Christian Mormon upbringing inform my thoughts, my morality.

Hadn't hear the phrase Christian Atheist as BOJ mentions, but yeah.

Still, I wonder how much of the first Christians even the Christ himself were affected by their heritage. They were something before they were Christian. And I don't believe that Christianity was the beginning of goodness, kindness, and reciprocity.

I don't give Christianity all the credit by any means. Reciprocity already existed.

Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 02:28PM

I was, and still am a Christian. By no means was this board EVER "mostly Christian", not even close.

Date: January 16, 2021 07:38AM

Gotcha. Was very curious since I was no where close to being here at the beginning. I do read a part of the new testament here and there when I feel and I admit that. I remember not really liking the old testament as a child so I am not in a hurry to revisit that part haha. As long as I don't have to go to church and be forced to read when I do not want to then I am ok with reading a part here or there of the new testament every so often when I choose. As long as I get the choice to read or not then I am ok with that. A few verses every 3 months or so is a pretty good pace for me haha.

As long as i keep the religion aspect cut out of the equation and am just allowed to read as an individual that chooses to read when he wants then I guess that is alright.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 10:03PM

I am nevermo and did not have a religious upbringing, save for summer "Bible Camp" for a couple of years. I have always thought of my self as an Agnostic Atheist but I also like cl2 and RB's "apathyism" as that seems to fit better :)

I appreciate this thread though in reading the more lengthy posts, I realize all the more that I'm starved for intelligent conversation in my assisted living facility in that I am the only resident at the present time without some form of dementia. Some have severe Alzheimer's and others may have another type of dementia but the result is the same in limiting meaningful conversation. I don'post often but this site is one that I read frequently for thought-provoking ideas(okay, most of the time). Thank you, Eric K :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 03:47AM

cinda Wrote:
> I realize all the more that I'm starved for intelligent
> conversation in my assisted living facility in that I am the
> only resident at the present time without some form of
> dementia. Some have severe Alzheimer's and others
> may have another type of dementia but the result
> is the same in limiting meaningful conversation.

> I don't post often but this site is one that I read
> frequently for thought-provoking ideas(okay, most
> of the time). Thank you, Eric K :)

I have been in a similar position several times in my life and I very deeply empathize with your need for intelligent conversation.

Some years ago, I (a nevermo) accidentally happened by here as the result of a seemingly unrelated Google search, and I was almost instantly mesmerized by the intelligent "conversation" I discovered here.

Thank you Eric K....and thank you Susan I/S!!

Posted by: Owen says Wow ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 06:31AM

Many Christians visit here, but atheists make the most noise, if that answers your question.

The early years were dominated by Yossarian who was very vocal that way.

Date: January 16, 2021 07:42AM

I see.

Date: January 16, 2021 08:06AM

There was a time when the atheists were very vocal and aggressive against Christians on the board, even if the Christians were acting fine and not proselytizing (that's what I meant by Christians being "shouted down," above.) Fortunately that has not been the case for a number of years now.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 10:12AM

and spills beyond OP subject.

World is wiggly, humans draw artificial straight lines to try make sense of things (e.g. lines of latitude longitude). Legislation is drawing lines, law is deciding which side of the line one is on. We put things into little boxes and think they're real (e.g. Christians, heathens).

Forums are largely just doing the same thing, when think on it. And then there is discussion about where to draw the line and what side of the line.

DSM is simply attempting to make clinical order of things, but this application gets criticized as "labeling."

Interesting -- why is it the automatic impulse is to sort things/people/ideas neatly into boxes that don't actually exist except in our heads, what need is it fulfilling

All in fun

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 11:53PM

I don't know, but this is the only board that I've been comfortable saying that I'm an atheist. That's huge to me.

Date: January 17, 2021 01:53AM

That's a good thing. :)

My own views have evolved over the years. Right now, I would describe those views as "I don't know, I'll likely never know, and I'm at peace with that" -- maybe somewhere between deist and agnostic.

Date: January 17, 2021 01:59AM

You're an atheist?

Good God, what have we done?!

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 12:28AM

I came here a few times a long, long time ago (under a different name) when I was trying to figure out how to deal with my wife who still wanted to go to church and make our kids go too, but she didn't really believe. At that time I believed that the New Testament must have some basis in reality but had got past the Jesus as the Son of God beliefs. I had a professor who believed in the historical Jesus and when I mentioned this I got a lot of info to look into from the obvious atheists. Did not seem to be many vocal Christians at that time. I am a part time atheist part time animist, full time heathen.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 01:10AM

Adam the warrior Wrote:
> just curious.

> ... was there ever a time when Christians were a majority here... ? >

There aren't majorities and minorities here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.